Amplifier in the (Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD 24-bit 96KHz USB Interface Sound Card)
Nov 22, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #31 of 60

Quote:
I'm not a recording engineer so no recording equipment but I do have a few albums in that format. From the look of that picture, any person with OCD about non resampling audio will likely put off buying this. I keep my Carat Peridot until I can afford a good DAC with TAS1020 USB chip then. The Yulong D100 might be. I'm only OCD about unnecessary resampling on PC side, as resampling on the DAC side is a way to reduce jitter and if it's done right the thing will sound good.

Thank you for the picture.

Is it possible it only plays at the song's sampling rate up to the maximum specified in that control? I.e. if playing a CD rip it samples at 44.1kHz when the maximum in the control is set at 48kHz. But if playing a 96kHz song it samples down to 48kHz as per the control? It wouldn't sound good if it upsampled everything to 96kHz? Also would be silly if you've got a mix of 44.1, 88.2 and 96kHz music in your playlist and you have to change the control for each song, right?

Nov 22, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #32 of 60
Assuming you're using Vista/7. If you use DirectSound, any device will play any sample rate as all audio streams will be resampled to what you selected in that picture. If you use bitperfect output (WASAPI exclusive or ASIO if available), a device will only play audio that has sampling rate and bitdepth listed in that pic with no resampling involved.
Quote:
Also would be silly if you've got a mix of 44.1, 88.2 and 96kHz music in your playlist and you have to change the control for each song, right?

Assuming your device supports all three sample rates, using a bitperfect output, you will have audio playback with no resampling. Otherwise, when playing a 44.1KHz audio stream through bitperfect output of a device that does not support this sampling rate will result in your audio player displaying an error or at worst crashes (if the developer doesn't handle this case gracefully).

Nov 23, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #34 of 60
I don't know considering the HW even has two different clocks for 44.1KHz (and its multiple) and 48KHz (and its multiple), I'd say crappy driver team.

Nov 24, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #35 of 60

Quote:
I don't know considering the HW even has two different clocks for 44.1KHz (and its multiple) and 48KHz (and its multiple), I'd say crappy driver team.

I have one of these on back order from Best Buy so I hope it is good, but if there is one thing Creative is known for, it is crappy drivers ....

Hey, TS, have you used it for gaming at all? If so, what are your impressions? How does the THX quasi-surround sound compare to the old Creative 3D headphone option?

Nov 29, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #36 of 60
I got ASIO working on Windows XP Pro and Foobar with the Digital Music Premium HD. You need the ASIO plugin for Foobar and ASIO4ALL as well. It can play 44100Hz, 48000Hz, 96000Hz no problems. If you can link me to a sample of 88200Hz I can test it out for you.

Nov 29, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #37 of 60
Foobar can resample to 88.2KHz, and you can test that to see whether it works with this sample rate. But I have lost interest in this device, considering I'm using Windows 7 and don't wanna downgrade my OS.

Nov 29, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #38 of 60
Yeah I couldn't get the ASIO to work under Vista. And either Vista's new audio system is stuffed or there are no decent drivers for my laptop under Vista but it audio was skipping badly in Vista. No problems in XP though.

Dec 4, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #39 of 60
So I finally got this after about 2.5 weeks. Other than being able to enhance the sound with THX TruStudio PC and EAX, I don't notice much difference between it and my laptop's onboard sound (which is supposedly realtek "HD"). Then again, I just started getting into this audiophile stuff and my ears are still untrained.
The slight downside is that I can't get this to work with WASAPI in foobar. I get that "unspported format" error no matter what bitrate I set the output to. Any idea how to fix this?

Dec 4, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #40 of 60
I got mine yesterday and so far,I'm loving it. Works just like I wanted to. I have my surround sound PC speakers connected to my X-Fi Fatal1ty internal sound card and my Denon D2000 to the X-Fi HD USB. There's no conflict what so ever. Just change the output device in Windows and done. I tried out some games and the Inception Blu-ray with my headphones connected to the X-Fi HD and they sound great. That said, my headphones don't have a high impedance so I don't know how it'll perform with high impedance cans.

So far I've only tested the Denon d2000 and the Shure SRH750DJ. Both low impedance headphones.

Dec 4, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #41 of 60
Unfie, are you on Vista/7? If so, get this resampler http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=67373 , enable it and set it to 48KHz. It's the problem of driver done "right" by Creative (only supports 48KHz and 96KHz on these Windows versions).

Dec 4, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #42 of 60
That worked! Thanks much. I listened to the sound card some more, and maybe it's just the crystalizer, but the quantity and quality of the bass has certainly gone up.

Dec 6, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #43 of 60
I ordered this from Best Buy weeks ago ... It was supposed to be available for pickup today ... yesterday I got an email from Best Buy essentially telling me they have no idea when or if my order will ever be ready ... If I had bought it from Amazon I would have had it in a few days. My advice ... don't order anything from Best Buy.

Dec 6, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #45 of 60
Seems like we got our answer already. It only supports 48KHz and 96KHz natively on Vista and 7, which in itself doesn't make any sense as they made the chip accept two different clock sources for 44.1KHz, 48KHz and their respective multiple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back