Amplifier in the (Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD 24-bit 96KHz USB Interface Sound Card)
Nov 6, 2010 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

NRGreatest

New Head-Fier
Hey just another newbie asking if the amplifier in the X-Fi HD USB soundcard would do the job to power my Sennheiser PC 350's. I'm rushing to get my headset all fancied up before I hit ESEA playoffs for Counter Strike:Source as I am an avid competitive video gamer. I did only one modification and that would be the HD 555 earcup replacements. I have the Razer Barracuda AC-1 (Bad positional sound) and am now using a Steelseries 5H USB soundcard (not really good). I was directed here to "get schooled in audio" and was hoping you guys would help me. I know you'd probably recommend the $200 soundcard equipped with amps like the Azuntech's/HT Claro's/AsusEssence STX's, but I do need to travel to lans and the money is a bit tight. Right now I am looking if this X-Fi has great positional audio and enough power to amp my PC 350's.

Headset
Sennheiser PC 350
http://www.sennheiser.com/comm/icm_eng.nsf/root/502141

Current Sound Cards
Razer Barracuda AC-1-
http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.169415400
Steelseries USB soundcard "dongle"

Soundcard I want to buy
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102032

Any help would be appreciated and look forward to your wisdom.

Nov 6, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #3 of 60

Quote:
There is a review for that card here: http://www.vortez.co.uk/articles_pages/creative_sound_blaster_x_fi_hd_review,1.html  I am not sure if they have an answer to your question, but it might be worth a look if you have not seen it already.

Yeah it doesn't seem that it is ideal for positional audio for gaming; I was only interested in it because of the amp. I'm just looking for a USB soundcard that has great positional audio (Counter Strike: Source, mainly) and provides an amp for a 150ohm impedance headset (PC350's) If anybody knows one, please post.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #8 of 60
Edit: Actually that thread is for the PCIe Titanium sound card version. I'm talking about the USB X-Fi version. Also might as well put this out here. If you guys don't approve of the X-Fi USB. What others do you recommend for positional sound accompanied with a headphone amp?????????

Nov 9, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #9 of 60

Quote:
Edit: Actually that thread is for the PCIe Titanium sound card version. I'm talking about the USB X-Fi version. Also might as well put this out here. If you guys don't approve of the X-Fi USB. What others do you recommend for positional sound accompanied with a headphone amp?????????

I'm not sure if you already noticed this, but the X-Fi HD (the USB one) and the X-Fi Titanium HD (the PCIe one) are both fairly new products, among the newer additions to Creative's lineup.  So a lot of people may not know what they think of these products.  That might be why it is difficult to get a response to a thread like this from someone familiar with the product. 

Nov 10, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #13 of 60
I was considering getting this too. I'm very interested to hear your impressions after you get it, although I'm mostly interested in what it does for music.

Nov 10, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #14 of 60
I'm also looking to pick one of these up.

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if you can use one of these and an Xfi PCI soundcard with the same system? I don't mean use them at the same time, I just mean have them installed at the same time and switch back and forth ...

NPGreatest, please let us know when you have any impressions of the xfi HD to share with the rest of us ... very hard to find out any hands on information.

Nov 10, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #15 of 60
Presumably you could have them both installed as long as you have a PCI slot and a USB port to accommodate each device.  Windows has no problem handling more than one audio device, generally.  Unless there is some issue peculiar to the cards in question, having both installed on the system should not be a problem.

Quote:
I'm also looking to pick one of these up.

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if you can use one of these and an Xfi PCI soundcard with the same system? I don't mean use them at the same time, I just mean have them installed at the same time and switch back and forth ...

NPGreatest, please let us know when you have any impressions of the xfi HD to share with the rest of us ... very hard to find out any hands on information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back