Amplifier for Wharfedale Isodynamic Headphones
Dec 11, 2022 at 10:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

eekeek

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I've inherited a pair of these and would love to get the best out of them.
I'm struggling because they are so different to what we have today, it's hard to compare spec sheets and understand what sort of amp I actually require.
I'm missing the 1/4" TRS to DIN adapter in the picture and almost everything I've read says anyway that plugging into the speaker posts is madness.
My rudimentary maths tells me that 30mW to make 95dB SPL translates to a very low sensitivity of 80.2 db/mW. Impedance is 120 Ohms +/- 15%

Any advice gratefully received.
wharfedale-isodynamic-headphones.gif

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #3 of 9
Stay away from the Lyr- Lyr 2 would be much better.

Dec 12, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #5 of 9
No need to apologize, just that people might find this or that and not be aware of the versions.

Dec 12, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #6 of 9
Thank you both.
Is it madness to connect to the speaker terminals? I could probably manage soldering 4 banana plugs to a 1/4" socket. But I could probably manage to blow up my amp/cans/ears too!
What should I be looking for in a headphone amp? In terms of Watts, Volts RMS, PP etc.
My limited understanding is that power is for dynamics as well as volume. I don't need them to go particularly loud, so just need enough power for them to perform properly.
"And please, speak as you might to a young child or a golden retriever"

Dec 12, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #7 of 9
Check the HE6 threads

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-he6-v2-adorama.959021/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-he6-se.886229/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-he-6-planar-magnetic-headphone.493214/

because that headphone has similar sensitivity to what you calculated, but is half the impedance. Anything that is known to work well should be an ok start for yours. However, individuals claiming el-cheapo amp X drives them great should be taken with a grain of salt. Not that you have to spend big money, but most or all of the guys making those kind of comments have no basis for comparison (i.e. have not tried them out of amp that is known to work well)

If your calculation regarding sensitivity is correct then yes, it would be worth running off a vintage receiver. Start with the volume all the way down and just increase it slowly. If you don't hear anything, verify that all the wiring is ok. A sudden blast would be very bad, as you noted.

If everything goes well, the only gotcha is what @cloudphonics mentioned in his first post in this thread; not every receiver / speaker amp will be happy with a 120 ohm load.

Very unlikely to cause any damage to the rig, rather just might not sound optimal.

Dec 13, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #9 of 9
Thank you both.
Is it madness to connect to the speaker terminals? I could probably manage soldering 4 banana plugs to a 1/4" socket. But I could probably manage to blow up my amp/cans/ears too!
What should I be looking for in a headphone amp? In terms of Watts, Volts RMS, PP etc."
You can connect them to a speaker amp (see attached instructions and spec). To prevent slow-term damage to your speaker amp, ensure you connect it fully balanced (Not TRS) to the speaker amp terminals. Bridging the ground can cause some problems. I have driven them from Speaker amps in the past and it worked pretty well.

As for headphone amps others have much better suggestions than me here. But just look for the most powerful amp you can find. Most amps ~4W+ into 16ohm and above should be able to drive this.

Attachments

• IMG_0915.jpg
    IMG_0915.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0916.jpg
    IMG_0916.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back