Amplifier designed for electrostatics - also good for planars and dynamics?
Dec 13, 2018 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

100+ Head-Fier
I recently wrote HiFiMan customer service to ask if they plan on releasing a high-end amplifier that's less expensive than the rarely seen EF1000 ($12k).

I told them I have planar and dynamic headphones, and they recommended the Jade II. "Isn't that exclusively for electrostatic headphones?" I asked, to which they replied "It will work great, you just need an adapter".

I'm still dubious - can anybody here back this claim up?

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #4 of 6
If you read beyond the title of the thread, you'll see I'm not looking for an amp that drives Electrostatics at all.

Someone on another forum suggested that HiFiMan's customer representative is giving out really bad advice here. An amp designed for E-stats would not be suitable for dynamic and planars, although technically it might work with an adapter.

Jan 16, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 6
If you read beyond the title of the thread, you'll see I'm not looking for an amp that drives Electrostatics at all.

Someone on another forum suggested that HiFiMan's customer representative is giving out really bad advice here. An amp designed for E-stats would not be suitable for dynamic and planars, although technically it might work with an adapter.

hey man, you create a post asking about an amp that does both, and while you don't explicitly ask about electrostats in the first post, you also don't say that you don't need it to drive electrostats and are merely questioning the integrity of their response. Wouldn't be unreasonable for reader to assume that you are interested in such an amp but want more details. but anyway, yeah I think that other forum doesn't hold HiFiMan in all too high regard, or was that Woo Audio..

Jan 16, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #6 of 6
Sorry for any confusion, maybe I wasn't clear? I have planars and dynamics, and was interested in a 'won't break the bank' high-end amp from HiFiMan. The Jade would be an ideal price/performance contender, but I've come to understand that if their customer service person (April) is recommending it for planars and dynamics, it reflects badly on HiFiMan.

The other forum seems not to hold Woo Audio in high regard, but there's positive discussion of HiFiMan to be found.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back