Amplifier Burn In...
Jul 24, 2008 at 8:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Deadneddz

100+ Head-Fier
Im planning on getting an RSA Predator,

and since it has such an enormously long burn time i was wondering how i should go about burning it in.

I will use it brand new but i also want to burn it in while im not using it.

What is an effective way to burn it in? using headphones and the usb?

Any help is appreciated.

Jul 24, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #2 of 11
Do a search for 'burn in' for more comprehensive advice.

I used a PC source up to 16 hours per day, 4-5 hours at a time with breaks in between. Various headphones.

I used pink noise and frybaby.mp3 (Google to get them).

This allowed burn in of DAC and Amp components. There were definite changes all the way up to 1200+ hours.

And it was just a delight once it reached those hours.

Good luck with your burn in.

Jul 24, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #3 of 11
Another user, rico67, had made a resistor plug that puts a much larger load on the amp, and had found that it nearly halves the burning time required. I've ordered one of these high-load resistors from him (since he makes them himself), and we'll see how it goes (once I receive it).

Jul 24, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #4 of 11
Use, itune library on random and continous, or burningwage generator (free soft) and plug your predator through usb (to burn the dac ).
you can plug your headphone on the predator or an adaptated load (10 homs) to avoid noises and burn with more efficient.
Normal burning time for Predator is :
200 hours to burn the internal dac.
1200 hours for the amp section.

to burn the amps section of the predator, you can plug it through a radio.

Hope, it's usefull.
break times are necessary too, 1 or 2 hours a day to form the cap.

Jul 24, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 11
Quoted from the golden mouth in his email reply:

"Simple, just connect it to any portable source & connect to it any high impedance headphones & set the source to play in a non stop mode.
Cheers.
Ray Samuels"

Jul 24, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ralfale /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quoted from the golden mouth in his email reply:

"Simple, just connect it to any portable source & connect to it any high impedance headphones & set the source to play in a non stop mode.
Cheers.
Ray Samuels"

Would grado sr225 count as high though as a) all i got and b) stated on packaging as low (30 ish I think)

Jul 24, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #7 of 11
No, you'd want a "really" high impedance phone, like a Senn HD650 (300 ohm) or Beyer DT880 (either 250 ohm or 600 ohm).

Jul 24, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #8 of 11
why high-impedance specifically? is that just to get more current through the amp? couldn't you get the same results by using cheap earbuds (at same gain and volume that you would use for high-impedance phones)?

Jul 25, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tha_dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why high-impedance specifically? is that just to get more current through the amp? couldn't you get the same results by using cheap earbuds (at same gain and volume that you would use for high-impedance phones)?

Have emailed Ray to check on his view of my low impedence Grado 225's burning in the Pred, will let post here when he replies

Jul 25, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadneddz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the replies.

Whats the best way to burn it in without noise?

Is there any way to do it without an adaptive load?

Resistors load instead of an headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back