Amplifier Advice Request
Oct 23, 2010 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Arcamera

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here. I was hoping to get advice on a new headphone amp. I'm interested in purchasing a solid state amp for approx. $1,000 or less. Currently I just use the headphone section of my Arcam Delta 290 integrated amp. I only ever compared it to an entry level Headroom amp, back in the mid-'90's, and the performance was comparable, so I have stayed with my Arcam since.

But now I'm keen on upgrading my headphone performance. I'd like an amp that would pair well with the 'phones I usually use: Sennheiser HD650 (recabled with Cardas) and Beyerdynamic DT880 (recabled with Cardas as well), and to a lesser extent AKG K701 and the great old Grado HP1000. My main source is an Arcam CD73 CD player. I use Cardas and Tara Labs cables. Can people recommend a good all-'rounder match for these 'phones? Also, I'd eventually like to upgrade my cans, perhaps to the SennHD800 and BeyerT1, so ideally it would be an amp that would work well with those too. Thanks very much.

A great forum here. Cheers.

Oct 24, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #2 of 6
Hi

I'm a fan of the Arcam Delta amplifiers. Some years ago I bought one second-hand for the living room hi fi I had at that time. Then I had a dedicated listening room and the amplifier in it was a very much more expensive valve (tube in US) amp. I found that the Arcam Delta was so good that I began to think I might just try it instead of the valve amp, so I tried it in the listening room hi fi. It was obvious to me that I preferred it, and in fact I think that in just about every respect it was a better and more transparent amplifier. So I sold the valve amp and in fact I have used solid state exclusively since that time. I don't believe that solid state is necessarily better than valves because every amplifier is unique, but I do think that solid state is just as valid a way to build the very best sound.

I particularly love pure class A solid state designs.

I suspect the best, probably, is the Sugden HA 4, but this will cost you $2,000. I don't know if these are exported to the US. You could easily get a Sugden HeadMaster for a good bit less than $1,000 second-hand.

I'm not that knowledgeable about this $1,000 price range, so it is difficult for me to suggest anything. Others will come up with amps in that category no doubt
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 6
First things first, welcome to Head-fi.
beerchug.gif

Arcamera wrote:

But now I'm keen on upgrading my headphone performance. I'd like an amp that would pair well with the 'phones I usually use: Sennheiser HD650 (recabled with Cardas)...

I can only recommend what I'm using with my custom cabled HD-650's, a Burson HA-160 discrete headphone amp.

Each person's hearing acuity varies per person.  Curious, have you tested your hearing and EQ your system to match the results of your hearing test?  I'd say doing the above is the least expensive add that one can easily provide in which to improve their listening pleasure.  After testing your hearing, then get your amp as you'll now be getting the most sound quality out of your Amp because the sound will be tuned specifically to your ears.

Oct 25, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #4 of 6
Hi,

From my experience the Gilmore Lite is an excellent amp. FWIR and the conversations I've had with Justin, the GS-1 is step up to that without altering the characteristics of the GLite. I have a Beta22/Sigma22 build and must say it's the best solid state amp I've had the pleasure of listening to. The bottom octaves of the HD650 can become a bit unruly and the B22 should do a job of tightening things up. I do know the HD650 did well with the GLite.

The B22 is an amazing paring with the HD800. Synergy is the one word that comes to mind.

Oct 26, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the welcome and recommendations so far everyone. All duly noted. I know it's a real broad question, particularly as I'm looking for an all-'round amp that would work well with these different 'phones, so I appreciate some help in narrowing the field a bit. Especially since, as I would guess most can relate, it's difficult to audition a number of different amps.

beeman458, I had not thought of getting my hearing tested-- that's an interesting idea. I'm probably subconsciously resisting the idea for fear of learning of some hearing loss! At the least I'm probably due for an ear cleaning.

Other recs welcome, thanks....

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #6 of 6
I've found from reading the pages of Head-fi.com that EQ'g one's system to match their tested hearing is a totally overlooked necessity.  If one hasn't EQ'd their system to their hearing, then they're missing out on any chance of "fidelity" as their hearing isn't up to the task as their headphone system hasn't been customized to their hearing deficiencies.

A big fallacy is that somehow, by listening to a flat graph, you're somehow being true to the music when in fact, you're robbing yourself of sound quality because you've given into the audio myth that a flat EQ line is the best way to go.

Here's a site link where you can test your hearing and nobody will know.  I'll look forward to you and others posting the results of their test.

evil_smiley.gif

Remember, the linked test is only an indication and not a professionally administered audio test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back