Amplification for Shure E500
Jul 27, 2006 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

adewolf1

New Head-Fier
Hello all:
My first thread here...

I have a few headphone Amps and DACs:
Meier Corda Aria (wonderful with my computer and Senn 595s)
HeadRoom Micro stack (DAC and amp)
Rudistore NKK.01se

So far with my Shure E500 the Meier and Rudistore exhibit high frequency noise. Any good headphone amps (portable is preferrable) that I can use with the Shure E500? I have not yet tried my Headroom amp.

Alex

Jul 27, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 16
In my view, the most attractive portable amp is the XIN Supermacro.

Jul 27, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #4 of 16
You may be better off asking this question once the E500 ships to a few more people on the board, the opinions and experiences will help. Few of us have actually heard the E500 yet.

Jul 27, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 16
Wow, a four-year member, and your third post is letting everyone know that you already have a pair of e500's in your ears.

I would wait for more people to get the units and see what happens. I'm going to try mine with a unity gain PIMETA setup with resisters inline to take the hiss out of the buds from my iPod and see how that works as a start.

Jul 27, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #6 of 16
It seems like the Micro Stack is the natural choice from what you have if the NKK.01 is giving you hiss or high frequency noise. It is the most portable of the amps you have and the most suited to IEM use. I would love to hear the NKK sometime though--how do you like it with the Senns?

Jul 27, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
It seems like the Micro Stack is the natural choice from what you have if the NKK.01 is giving you hiss or high frequency noise. It is the most portable of the amps you have and the most suited to IEM use. I would love to hear the NKK sometime though--how do you like it with the Senns?

The NKK.01 is an excellent portable amp for the Senns (595 and 600). It's also the best build quality I have seen.

I will try the headroom tonight.

Thanks
Alex

Jul 31, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6
If the Shure E500's are similar to the Shure E5's - the Emmeline SR-71 will hissssssssss like a snake and the Xin Supermacro will be silent.

I have both the E5's & the E500, the E4's & the Ety's, all of them work very well with SR-71 & the Hornet with out any hissss as you claim. Do you have the SR-71 that is hissssiiinnnnggggg? These 2 amps were designed to work with these type of headphones as they have very low noise floor my friend.
Thanks.
Ray Samuels

Jul 31, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #11 of 16
I'm listening to the E500's with SR-71 right now and there is absolutely no hiss whatsoever.

Jul 31, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #12 of 16
Sorry for changing the subject a little but
I've been debating on getting either the SR 71 or the Hornet to go with the E500's and possibly to toy around with occaisonally with a set of K701's. Any idea on which to go with?

Aug 1, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #13 of 16
My very brief impressions of the two (only have heard the SR-71 briefly): they're very similar, but the SR-71 has a bigger soundstage and sounds a bit more open while the Hornet has a bit more impact or what I call "snap."

Aug 1, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

I'm listening to the E500's with SR-71 right now and there is absolutely no hiss whatsoever.

How's the synergy with the E500 and the SR-71. My E500s were shipped today and I use an SR-71 with UM 2's which sound great, so naturally, inquiring minds want to know!
blink.gif

Aug 1, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #15 of 16
Just got my E500s today, and plugged them into my AE-1. Hiss a la the E5s (but the E4s do not have as much, but do have some, too). Great sound beyond the hiss, but the hiss was not subtle.... I would like that upgrade that is supposedly in the works.

I then plugged them into my Porta Corda MKII...barely could turn the volume control before it was too loud. Not a good fit, gain-wise. Sound was good, but not as rich or detailed as the AE-1, but no volume wiggle room at all.

I am not going to go portable amp shopping. I'll wait on Justin to do something with the AE-1 cos I love his products and service...Time.

Otherwise, amazing bass with these E500s!

- walk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back