Amping Yuin PK1s?
Oct 2, 2007 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

dap_pad

500+ Head-Fier
Ok... I'm buying PK1s and now I need an amp... or do I?

I've tried PK1s driven by my A2 and I need to raise the volume to around 30/40 to get within listen-able levels. I've heard amping really helps with the PK1s so I want to see what kinds of amps would really help the PK1s shine.
confused.gif

My options are:

Go-Vibe V5
Go-Vibe V6
MisterX XP w/ dual LM6172
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=263362

Which one would be the best fit for the Yuin PK1s?

THANKS!!!
tongue.gif

Oct 2, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #2 of 17
If you can afford a mini3 I'd use that with the PK1. I did find they generally need an amp to work well. The XP with LM6172 is OK but I find the performance is substantially below that of the AD8397/OPA690 combo default to the Mini3. The 6172 doesn't output much power at 9V, the output impedance is relatively high, and it doesn't tolerate low impedance loads especially well, so performance suffers. If you can get the op-amps changed in the XP, then that works too.

Oct 2, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #3 of 17
Aw... I see then the XP Amp isn't worth it then...too bad... what about a C&C Box V2? Those seem decent and there's one of the FS forums for $65...

How is the Mini3 High Performance Edition with the AD8397/OPA690 combo? How much is a AC adaptor for the Mini3?

Oct 2, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dap_pad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aw... I see then the XP Amp isn't worth it then...too bad... what about a C&C Box V2? Those seem decent and there's one of the FS forums for $65...

C&C Box uses AD8532s which are a micropower op-amp that, while possessing fairly large current drive capability, are not of optimal performance driving low impedance loads. It does have better current drive capability than the 6172, but it is limited to a narrower voltage swing and its distortion appears significant both due to limited capability with low impedance as well as limitations imposed by other aspects of its design. I also generally don't recommend amps that have below ~6V supply (and even that is pushing it at times) to people since considerable distortion can be incurred from insufficient headroom (Box has 4.8V, and the AD8532 probably doesn't swing to its rails with a low impedance load).

The mini3 with the AD8397/OPA690 should work quite well. It seems MisterX and thrice (Rockhopper Audio) both offer a full package with the amp, rechargeable battery, and adaptor. I'm not sure what the pricing is, though.

Oct 3, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #5 of 17
What about the mSeed Spirit Amp? That one seems promising... both are around the same price.

Right now I've narrowed it down to the mSeed and the Mini3.

On a side note... the PK1s AMAZING... the music seems like it's floating around me...

Oct 3, 2007 at 6:24 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dap_pad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the mSeed Spirit Amp? That one seems promising... both are around the same price.

Right now I've narrowed it down to the mSeed and the Mini3.

On a side note... the PK1s AMAZING... the music seems like it's floating around me...

I'd say go with the Mini3.

Oct 3, 2007 at 10:13 AM Post #10 of 17
I am waiting for my Pico amp and use them unamped from the HP out of a 5.5G imod at the moment but sometimes I will plug them into the RPX-33 and they do rise to the occasion. A goos amp is necessary and worthwhile for these things, I feel.

Oct 5, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #15 of 17
Is the issue that you believe the Mini^3 somehow can't stand up to commercial amps for some reason? I agree with souperman; I'd take it over the Move/Headsix as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back