Amping Worse Than Without Amp?
Jun 30, 2012 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Spyro

Headphoneus Supremus
Can you see any scenario where amping an IEM could actually hinder the sound versus help it?

I have an Ipod 160GB Classic and an Ibasso T3 analog amp.  I am told the amp is a solid choice and quite transparent (a good thing) not affecting the sound sig of anything you plug into it.

It definitely crystallizes the presentation of the JH5 and is a definite upgrade (less harsh) but with Westone 3 I swear it sounds better unamped,  It sounds more open and expansive WITHOUT an amp.  Are my ear playing tricks with me?  Is this possible it would sound better straight out of headphone output?

If anything, I applaud Westone for making a perfect IEM that offers 100% benefit and satisfaction without an amp.  To me that is a perfect design!

I have owned pretty much Westones' entire universal offerings and have found the same thing where amping does not change the sound much...and, again, I find this a great thing.

Jul 1, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you see any scenario where amping an IEM could actually hinder the sound versus help it?
I have an IPod 160GB Classic and an Ibasso T3 analog amp.  I am told the amp is a solid choice and quite transparent (a good thing) not affecting the sound sig of anything you plug into it.
It definitely crystallizes the presentation of the JH5 and is a definite upgrade (less harsh) but with Westone 3 I swear it sounds better unamped,  It sounds more open and expansive WITHOUT an amp.  Are my ear playing tricks with me?  Is this possible it would sound better straight out of headphone output?
If anything, I applaud Westone for making a perfect IEM that offers 100% benefit and satisfaction without an amp.  To me that is a perfect design!
I have owned pretty much Westones' entire universal offerings and have found the same thing where amping does not change the sound much...and, again, I find this a great thing.

Apple products seem to have better audio quality support and I'm guessing your Westone IEM (30-Ohm?) are very easy to drive.
So if it sound better plugged straight into the IPod, cool.

The Ibassco T3 does have gain setting, try changing them.
You could also try a LOD to mini-jack cable, It bypasses the IPods headphone jack and feeds a cleaner analog signal to the analog input connector on the Ibasso T3.
Otherwise, just plug the IEM straight into the iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back