1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

* Amping Vibes & 555's...it rhymes!

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by lukealexander, Jan 15, 2007.
  1. lukealexander
    Okay, I posted this elsewhere but I am pressed for time.
    I have Vibe's coming, and use HD555's from my laptop's integrated sound and want to know if upgrading to a Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro (TBAAM) or M-Audio Transit would be of benefit to these headphones.

I read these are both DACs, and most people team them with amps... but I only want (and can afford [​IMG] ) just the one thing for now. Is that acceptable? Which of the two (if prices were equal) would be the best solution?

I only need analogue out, no other fancy bits required [​IMG]

Sorry for "spamming" the forum, but I only have an hour to decide!

Regards, Luke

2. lukealexander
    I lost the auction [​IMG]

3. facelvega
    the cheapest definite step up from most onboard soundcards would be a generic USB thumb-size sound controller (in effect, a cheaper TBAAM) You can usually grab one of these for under $10 shipped, and in my experience even the best stock laptop sound is still a notch under such a device. Plus at ten bucks it's not tying up too much capital for the inevitable later upgrade.

4. lukealexander
    Quote:

inevitable later upgrade.

Ain't that the truth... I'm now looking at a Phillips Aurilium also.

5. warMen
    Check out the Silverstone Eb01... it's around $80.

I have the M-audio transit. I got one from the for sale forum here for $55... sounds great and works great, it's a good deal.

I also do some music production and recording. While the transit is minimal as far as that goes, it works great for what I need. My old sound card just wasn't up to par. It also gives a good line signal to the amp so the amp will work better.

6. lukealexander
    Here in the UK, everything is expensive or less available. I almost got the Transit for $70 but was outbid in the last few seconds - it is $120 retail here which is double my budget.

If I could get the Aurilium for $60, I would take it - let me see whether to bid in the next couple of hours or just get a generic C-Media dongle from eBay for $10