* Amping Vibes & 555's...it rhymes!
Jan 15, 2007 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

lukealexander

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, I posted this elsewhere but I am pressed for time.
I have Vibe's coming, and use HD555's from my laptop's integrated sound and want to know if upgrading to a Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro (TBAAM) or M-Audio Transit would be of benefit to these headphones.

I read these are both DACs, and most people team them with amps... but I only want (and can afford
tongue.gif
) just the one thing for now. Is that acceptable? Which of the two (if prices were equal) would be the best solution?

I only need analogue out, no other fancy bits required
cool.gif

Sorry for "spamming" the forum, but I only have an hour to decide!

Regards, Luke

Jan 15, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #2 of 6
I lost the auction
frown.gif

Jan 15, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 6
the cheapest definite step up from most onboard soundcards would be a generic USB thumb-size sound controller (in effect, a cheaper TBAAM) You can usually grab one of these for under $10 shipped, and in my experience even the best stock laptop sound is still a notch under such a device. Plus at ten bucks it's not tying up too much capital for the inevitable later upgrade.

Jan 15, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

inevitable later upgrade.

Ain't that the truth... I'm now looking at a Phillips Aurilium also.

Jan 15, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #5 of 6
Check out the Silverstone Eb01... it's around $80.

I have the M-audio transit. I got one from the for sale forum here for $55... sounds great and works great, it's a good deal.

I also do some music production and recording. While the transit is minimal as far as that goes, it works great for what I need. My old sound card just wasn't up to par. It also gives a good line signal to the amp so the amp will work better.

Jan 15, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #6 of 6
Here in the UK, everything is expensive or less available. I almost got the Transit for $70 but was outbid in the last few seconds - it is $120 retail here which is double my budget.

If I could get the Aurilium for $60, I would take it - let me see whether to bid in the next couple of hours or just get a generic C-Media dongle from eBay for $10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back