Amping the Sr-225s
Apr 8, 2007 at 7:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Volta

100+ Head-Fier
Just bought a pair of SR-225 from the F/S forum. I've been searching this forum for answers to whether they will benefit much from amping, but haven't seen any clear answers. I'm thinking a of buying a cheap amp- GoVibe v5, PA2v2 for them, but need to know whether they'll benefit much first.

So, the question is, do the SR-225 benefit much from an amp?

Thanks,
Josh

Apr 8, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #2 of 8
No... amps won't do much for the SR225. I've used some very good amps with the SR225, and only thing I noticed was slightly better bass. Not really worth it, and cheaper amps will degrade the sound more than help it.

Apr 8, 2007 at 8:05 AM Post #3 of 8
Yes, they will benefit. How much depends on the amp. Which amp is right for you depends on what kind of music you listen to and how much you want to spend.

Personally, I find Grados best with a tube amp. Tubes are best when you care mostly about the mids, like I do. If you're looking for the low end to hit hard, you might be more interested in solid state.

Apr 8, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #4 of 8
When I owned the SR225, I found it came most alive on a DIY Millett Hybrid and the Cayin HA-1A. The presence of tubes really helps add lower-mid fullness & body to the headphones.

IMO it's worth saving up for a Millett Hybrid. Milletts are versatile amps and a nice gateway into the tube sound for less than what you pay for the cheapest tube amps.

Apr 8, 2007 at 12:00 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No... amps won't do much for the SR225. I've used some very good amps with the SR225, and only thing I noticed was slightly better bass. Not really worth it, and cheaper amps will degrade the sound more than help it.

Hmmmm...I think quite a lot of people would disagree with you there. It's true that they are low impedance, so will sound good out of just about any source, but they respond very well to amplification. And I'm not sure what you mean about cheap amps degrading the sound. Have you heard a 225 with a PA2V2 or Go-Vibe? It's a killer sound for not much dough.

Apr 8, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #7 of 8
The Millet would be a nice companion to the SR-225. Other inexpensive hybrid (tube in the front mosfet or op-amp as the final stage) amps would be:

-Little Dot Micro Tube, the upgraded one that retails for $199 plus S&H
-Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 can be bought used from $140 to $190 including S&H

Good luck.

Apr 8, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #8 of 8
if you are not willing to go for tubes, the HeadFive (about $200 used) with its slightly warm and very musical character pairs very well with Grado/Alessandros as well... and you'll have a bit of Head-Fi history on your desk as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back