Amping headphones from speaker outs
Dec 22, 2015 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

vapman

Member of the Trade: bhobuds.com
Lately in several different threads I've seen more and more people posting about powering their headphones from the speaker jacks on the backs of their older stereo receivers.  I remember doing this about 10 years ago with some SR-60 and an NAD 3150. it blew my mind, i've never heard that much bass out of Grados before!

I haven't done it since but I'm interested again with the recent surge of interest in this method of headphone amping.

Anyone else doing it, any tricks, tips, whatever?

Dec 26, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 3
Many headphone outputs have a series resistance added, a 100 ohm resistor or such. This raises the output impedance significantly, messing up the frequency and transient response. I can understand this trend you're describing.

My main thing is headphones, but every amp I have (all DIY) must also be able to drive speakers on occasion, even if at modest volume.

So I connect both speakers and headphones at the same 4 ohm tap at the OT secondary. Since the primary side is fed with a low impedance as well, the setup provides a very low output impedance. This has the effect of improving transient response, and flattening the frequency response. Bass control is the biggest winner, just as you describe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back