Amping HD600's on a budget.
Jun 23, 2013 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Suguru103

New Head-Fier
Hello! Thanks for your time, this is my plight:

I have an HD558 and i pair it with a Fiio E7K with my laptop as the source.

I plan on getting the Sennheiser HD600's this winter, and i am aware that my Dac/amp combination is probably not very efficient for it.

I have read up on combinations, but i am by no means an expert... so if you were once in this position, please let me know how you solved this dilemma.

My ideas right now are getting a Schiit Modi, which seems like a reasonable Dac for the price, and then i have been thinking of combining it with a Fiio E9K. 

I know i could just get an E9K and pair it with the E7K i have, but the Dac section of it leaves a little something to be desired. Or maybe i'm wrong, and it's the HD558 that is not as revealing a headphone as i thought.

Thanks in advance.

P.S: Budget is $200

Jun 23, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 10
Try plugging the HD558 into a stereo receiver, see it improves the sound (like the bass).

Jun 23, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 10
Hmm... i am not informed on stereo receivers, are they preferable to PC and USB Dac/amp setups? On sound quality of course, because i can't imagine them being more convenient.

Jun 23, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
Hmm... i am not informed on stereo receivers, are they preferable to PC and USB Dac/amp setups? On sound quality of course, because i can't imagine them being more convenient.

The receiver should bring out the best in the HD558
So plugging the HD558 into a receiver might tell you if the HD558s are the limit or the if E7K is just under powering the HD558.

Jun 23, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #5 of 10
Your FiiO E7K is not going to cut it with Senn HD600's.  It only puts out 36mW at 300 ohms (the impedance of HD600's).   You need something with a lot of voltage swing to power high-impedance Senns.  That's not usually something portable - unless it uses two 9V batteries in series.  A desktop is called for, instead.  It's pretty difficult for batteries or PC-based power to be able to provide the voltage swing that high-impedance phones need - maybe + or - 12V or more.  You can make it on some portable amps if you have + or - 4.5V or greater (like a Mini3), but the Senns will do better with MORE.

"Amping HD 600s on a budget" is an oxymoron.  HD600's will accept some of the highest quality amps in the world and continue to present improvements at every stage of amplification performance.

Jun 23, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #6 of 10
Well that is very sensible. I would like to just get an E9K, and pair it with the Andes for when i get the HD600.

But i have read that the Modi is a noticeably better Dac than the Andes... and that the Magni it is brighter, more open and has better detail than the E9K. I usually like neutral to slightly warm sound, but the HD600 is already kind of mellow-neutral, so i'm seeking to balance it out with the aforementioned combination.

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

Jun 24, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #7 of 10
Assuming you keep your E7 as a DAC (for now), you could try an O2 (works well) or a Little Dot Mk. III (HD600s have a high impedance and work particularly well with OTL amps). The LD is a little more expensive, but there is a ready supply of second-hand units, many of which have upgraded driver tubes (look for Mullards or Voskhods).

Jun 24, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
Assuming you keep your E7 as a DAC (for now), you could try an O2 (works well) or a Little Dot Mk. III (HD600s have a high impedance and work particularly well with OTL amps). The LD is a little more expensive, but there is a ready supply of second-hand units, many of which have upgraded driver tubes (look for Mullards or Voskhods).

Thanks for the suggestion! I had looked into tube gear before, and i had at one point considered the Aune T1 because of the rave reviews it had gotten. However i have gotten a little apprehensive on tube gear because of the way it colors the sound. 

I like a little bit of warmth, however the HD600 is a headphone that is already warmth by itself... wouldn't adding a tube amp color it in a very noticeable way? As in a "great for some genres but not neutral enough to cover everything else kind of way?"

How has your experience with tube amps been compared to solid slate?

Thanks!

Jun 24, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #9 of 10
With the Voskhod driver tubes, the sound signature is not excessively warm. In fact, it is fairly neutral. Where a good tube amp excels is in the midrange. Even a fairly modest amp such as the LD will have excellent transparency, detail and articulation.

If you listen exclusively to electronic music, however, I would look to a solid state amp at this price point.

Sep 16, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #10 of 10
Not all tube amps sound warm and syrupy. Not all solid state amps sound neutral. That's a myth I wish I could kill.

Save your pennies and get a Bottlehead Crack. I won't go on and on and on about this combo. Plenty of people have already don't that. I've tried the HD600s with dozens upon dozens of amps, from $200 up to $2,500. The Crack is the best I've found for the HD600s. And the Crack is a fast and detailed amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back