Amping for AKG Q701
Apr 17, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #241 of 508

Quote:
Heya,

I've run my Q701 from something as simple as the Fiio E11 and even my E10 and upwards of a Schiit Asgard & Lyr and frankly, it's not that big of a difference, if any.

Ultimately I find it's still just not that warm, not even as warm as my Hifimans (300/400/500). It drives fine from a lower powered source. I don't think you need massive amping to really get the worth of the Q701. I also don't think a warm tube amp helps much. But that's just my experience with it from several of my sources. I like the headphone, the Q701 is fantastic. My only beef with it is that it's just not warm enough for me, even though it's a little warmer than the K701 which was just too thin.

Very best,

I'm pairing a Schiit Lyr (stock tubes) with Q701s at the moment.  Source is an HRT music streamer 2.  The interconnects you use make a big difference IMO.  I'm using Kimber KS1030 interconnects and the sound is so sweet, warm and musical.  

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #247 of 508

Quote:

I'm pairing a Schiit Lyr (stock tubes) with Q701s at the moment.  Source is an HRT music streamer 2.  The interconnects you use make a big difference IMO.  I'm using Kimber KS1030 interconnects and the sound is so sweet, warm and musical.  

I'll have to agree about interconnect cables, except for it being a big difference. I made some cheap ones from bulk wire. Q701 sounds good with Canare cable and interconnects. I normally hate Canare, but it's warmer sound helps the Q701/K702. I probably couldn't tell the difference without the HRT Music Streamer II.

I don't know why, but the Q701 is amazing with this crappy Monoprice Cat 6 interconnect cable I made. If only more people could try this crazy idea..I believe Cat 5 is basically the same.

Monoprice interconnects are surprisingly decent too.

I have some Double Helix cable and ALO SXC interconnects I made from scrap wire and somehow I still prefer the other stuff. I don't want the Q701 being any more revealing or analytical than it already is. Maybe Cardas wire is good for the Q701?

It seems the wire I love on my HD-600 I dislike on the Q701.

Apr 18, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #248 of 508

Quote:
And what happens when you decide to buy new headphones?

Well I have a soft spot for the Q701s so I can see me sticking with them for a long time.  I'm a vegetarian so I prefer soft material to leather on my ears (I know they're part leather).  They're mega comfy.  The sound quality is excellent.  I think I can put together a great headphone set up without having to upgrade the phones. If I do end up buying new phones though and the Kimber interconnects aren't doing the trick anymore I'll sell them on at little or no loss.

Apr 18, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #249 of 508

Quote:

I'll have to agree about interconnect cables, except for it being a big difference. I made some cheap ones from bulk wire. Q701 sounds good with Canare cable and interconnects. I normally hate Canare, but it's warmer sound helps the Q701/K702. I probably couldn't tell the difference without the HRT Music Streamer II.

I don't know why, but the Q701 is amazing with this crappy Monoprice Cat 6 interconnect cable I made. If only more people could try this crazy idea..I believe Cat 5 is basically the same.

Monoprice interconnects are surprisingly decent too.

I have some Double Helix cable and ALO SXC interconnects I made from scrap wire and somehow I still prefer the other stuff. I don't want the Q701 being any more revealing or analytical than it already is. Maybe Cardas wire is good for the Q701?

It seems the wire I love on my HD-600 I dislike on the Q701.

In my current set up, and to my ears, the difference between the KS1030s and the others I've tried is big.  The fluidity, smoothness and musicality they offer is just superb.  I didn't realise this until yesterday though.  I used to own some Kondo VC interconnects and loved them.  I bought them back to try out in my headphone set up and I was shocked. The sound was lifeless, clinical & lacking in musicality (in comparison).  Not what I expected.  I slotted the KS1030s back in and listened to music for hours.  Perhaps any high quality silver interconnects will produce a similar effect I don't know.  I've only owned cheapish silver interconnects in the past, which haven't impressed me. Of course someone else may listen to exactly the same set up and come to a completely different conclusion, but that's Hifi for you. 

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #250 of 508

Quote:
Oh, there's crazier out there. Also glad to hear other voices chiming in that these are not some mythical dragon requiring a 2kW monoblock to slay. 

And if ya go thru the math, 16 milliWatts = 105 dB SPL with the Qs.

Or should I say 16 milliVA?

Apr 19, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #252 of 508
Apr 19, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #253 of 508

Quote:
One day science will find a cure for whatever you have.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #254 of 508
Ya need help, laddie!
Professional help!

Apr 23, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #255 of 508
Oh, there's crazier out there. Also glad to hear other voices chiming in that these are not some mythical dragon requiring a 2kW monoblock to slay. 

Hey, I got a free pair Transparent Musiclink Supers with the used O2s and SRM-717 I bought recently, came with a big honkin' Powerlink cable too. I can't tell one bit of sonic difference between them and the Blue Jeans I normally use, but they sure look bad a**. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back