Amping for AKG Q701
Feb 27, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #31 of 508
Does anyone have experience specifically with running the Q701s with the Fiio E10?
The E10 does supposedly pack enough power but I know that a source output/headphone impedance isn't final and determinate on how well things will work

Feb 27, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #32 of 508

Quote:
Does anyone have experience specifically with running the Q701s with the Fiio E10?
The E10 does supposedly pack enough power but I know that a source output/headphone impedance isn't final and determinate on how well things will work

You can see Chicolom's comparison here of the E10, M-Stage and HRT MSII:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587526/three-dac-comparison-fiio-e10-hrt-music-streamer-ii-m-stage-usb

I believe he said the E10 can drive the Q701 quite well. There's even one person out there that likes it with his K400 (even harder to drive).

EDIT: guess there's not much in there about driving the Q701, but he's posted about it before. Probably buried in the Q701 thread.

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #33 of 508
Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, but the title seems on-point.

I'm seriously considering getting a set of Q701s for home use - that is, I intend to use them with my receiver (a Yamaha HTR-5890 if it matters) to listen to music, and occasionally for watching TV/movies.  To be clear, I don't intend to use them with any portable player or use a computer as a source.  

What I'd like to know is, can I get good performance out of these headphones by plugging them into the headphone port on my receiver, or will an external amp be needed.  I'd be willing to purchase an amp if needed, but don't want to if my existing setup is sufficient.  (Also, my budget will not allow me to spend $300+ on an amp.)

It seems that all of the discussion of amps focuses pretty much exclusively on portable devices or computer sources, and I'm just not sure if that's because those are the only sources people are using, or if amps just aren't needed for home theater setups.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Feb 28, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #34 of 508

Quote:
I'm seriously considering getting a set of Q701s for home use - that is, I intend to use them with my receiver (a Yamaha HTR-5890 if it matters) to listen to music, and occasionally for watching TV/movies.  To be clear, I don't intend to use them with any portable player or use a computer as a source.  
What I'd like to know is, can I get good performance out of these headphones by plugging them into the headphone port on my receiver, or will an external amp be needed.  I'd be willing to purchase an amp if needed, but don't want to if my existing setup is sufficient.  (Also, my budget will not allow me to spend $300+ on an amp.)
It seems that all of the discussion of amps focuses pretty much exclusively on portable devices or computer sources, and I'm just not sure if that's because those are the only sources people are using, or if amps just aren't needed for home theater setups.

The Q701 headphones are 62-Ohms, but I think they are referred to as "high current?" headphones.
Receivers seem to power headphones better then what the average person thinks they do (I was average person up until recently).
I sure that the HTR-5890 has more then enough power coming out of that headphone jack.
I guess you will just have to plug in the Q701s to find out.

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #35 of 508

No idea what is meant by "high current" but the big "problem" with the 70x headphones is that they need (relatively) more power (period) than most common headphones to drive - they'll demand around 1 mW where most headphones demand maybe 0.01 mW or 0.10 mW. This makes them a nightmare for a lot of portables and laptops (which simply can't deliver that much power no matter what they're plugging into).

From a receiver, well put together desktop amplifier, many soundcards, etc they should work just fine. The only concerns I'd have with the receiver would be: 1) does it bleed noise? (and you won't know this until you plug it in and test it out - it'll be inherent to your specific receiver, not the model overall, and it's rare with receivers/HT equipment (more common with computers)) and 2) will it be close enough to your listening position for the cable to reach (or for an appropriate length extension to reach)? 

If those aren't problems, it should do just fine - and as a Yamaha it's likely to have Silent Cinema (go and check up on this); this is a "good" thing for you. And, with that in mind, your receiver should drive most headphones available (planars might be a problem at the headphone jack, but you can always put a transformer on the speaker taps and away you go). 

Quote:
The Q701 headphones are 62-Ohms, but I think they are referred to as "high current?" headphones.
Receivers seem to power headphones better then what the average person thinks they do (I was average person up until recently).
I sure that the HTR-5890 has more then enough power coming out of that headphone jack.
I guess you will just have to plug in the Q701s to find out.

Mar 11, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #36 of 508
Hi, I am close to buying the Q701's and was wondering if there is a decent amp for neutral sound out of them but not wanting to pay a tone of money for it, something like max 200-300 dollars even cheaper would make me happier 
beyersmile.png
 i also have the ibasso d2 dac/amp if it is any use to my future configuration. 

Mar 11, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #37 of 508

Quote:
Most of the external sound cards/DAC's will drive the Q701(some better). I think a minimum cost amp will be for around $180 (used on the FS forum), like the Corda/haedfive, M-stage.

Hi, I am close to buying the Q701's and was wondering if there is a decent amp for neutral sound out of them but not wanting to pay a tone of money for it, something like max 200-300 dollars even cheaper would make me happier 
font]
 i also have the ibasso d2 dac/amp if it is any use to my future configuration. I dont know the amps you refer to above but wondering if they will power sufficiently  the headphones. also am looking to power my beyer DT990 600ohms but dont think i will find 1 amp that is good for both headphones :frowning2:

Mar 11, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #38 of 508

Quote:
font]
 i also have the ibasso d2 dac/amp if it is any use to my future configuration. I dont know the amps you refer to above but wondering if they will power sufficiently  the headphones. also am looking to power my beyer DT990 600ohms but dont think i will find 1 amp that is good for both headphones :frowning2:

Yes, there is the Meyer headfive and his newer versions, you can get a used one on the FS/forum for around $180 and up...the M-stage got a lot of fans and maybe you should check it out as well

Mar 11, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #39 of 508

Quote:
Yes, there is the Meyer headfive and his newer versions, you can get a used one on the FS/forum for around $180 and up...the M-stage got a lot of fans and maybe you should check it out as well

Thanks for the reply, I was wondering if the m-stage would be a good amp compared to my ibasso d2 and also if you think they would work together using the boa2 as dac and m-stage as amp for Q701? 

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #42 of 508
If you are trying to stay within a budget with your amp you should throw the JDS Objective2 in there as well.  $144.00  That's less expensive than anything in your list.

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #43 of 508

Quote:
If you are trying to stay within a budget with your amp you should throw the JDS Objective2 in there as well.  $144.00  That's less expensive than anything in your list.

Yes it looks good just that it wont power my DT990/600ohm version, the JDS Objective2 is made for up to 250ohm hp's but thanks for the reply
normal_smile .gif

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #44 of 508
Sorry Dj!  I had the Q701 in my mind when I made that post.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back