Amperiors vs. DT1350s vs. M-80s Please Help
Jul 15, 2012 at 2:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

jsilbert95

Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

On my search for a portable headphone, I have finally narrowed it down to the V-MODA M-80s, the Sennheiser Amperiors, and the Beyerdynamic DT1350s.  I am looking for the perfect headphone for being on a train, in a coffee shop, etc.  Basically light commuting.  I do like isolation, but I will need to be able to hear my surroundings, be it while I'm listening, or via easy-swivel headphones, that I could swivel aside while listening to the train announcement.  I definitely cannot have a lot of bleeding so that others won't be annoyed.  I also do have a guilty preference for the style of the M-80s...

I would, of course, love the best sound quality of the three with my following specs...

My sources are a 2009 13 inch mac book pro, a newer classic iPod, and an iPhone 4, and I am not going to have an amp with me.

Types of music I listen to on a regular basis are jazz (mainly fusion), rock, classic ock, electronic (many different genres), ska, world, alternative, indie, etc.  Basically everything, but definitely a heavy emphasis on jazz genres and electronic genres.

I anyone could give me some advice based on my specs that would be great.  In addition, I'm not really looking for further suggestions because I've already narrowed it down to these three.

Thanks to everyone in advance!

Jul 15, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 19
The M80 (highly recommended) are amazing sounding headphones and they are cheaper with well built quality, but they offer bit of extra bass compared to others and overall soundquality is top notch(highly detailed in mids, highs with good punchy bass and wide soundstage). BTW they are JUDE fave portable cans and he reviewed these with very high marks.

Jul 15, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 19
None of the afore-mentioned cans will leak, though the M80 offers significantly less isolation than the other two. That can either be a good or bad thing, depending on your preferences. 

I've only owned the HD25, but it's very similar to the Amperior. The HD25 offers the classic V-shape FR. It has aggressive treble and midbass hump which should be great for rock. I feel it will probably be a bit too energetic for jazz. It will be fine for electronic, but the sub-bass could be better. The Amperior should be a little better, but retain the same sound signature. IMO the HD25 is a better deal.

Since I've never actually heard the other two, I'll just make some remarks about their sound signatures. Both have great bass and mids. The M80's are slightly treble-recessed, which might not be great for your genres. The DT1350 is supposed to be more detailed. The M80's semi-open nature offers a better soundstage. All are pretty well built, but the DT1350 lacks the detachable cord of the other two. 

Hope this helped!

Jul 15, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #7 of 19
It did, thanks!  I've been leaning towards the M-80s because of their price, style, and difference from the headphones I own.  I don't currently own any bass emphasized headphones, so even though the M-80s might not have the perfect details for a lot of the jazz I listen to, I was thinking it'd be nice to have a different sounding headphone.  What do you think?  And I assume the M-80s still work for most genres, it's just the certain details in jazz they may not be as perfect for.  Am I right?

Thanks.

Jul 15, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #8 of 19
That's good to hear. I'd be relatively wary of using the M80 for classical or jazz, since it does have a relatively early rolloff causing a loss of "airiness". The treble has also been described "lacking bite". It's not as much the details as the signature itself. If you're willing to EQ or amp match, it could still be the right choice for you. 

Btw I've seen these in person, but never listened to them. Firstly they look good. Secondly, they're tiny. Just a heads up.

Jul 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #9 of 19
Well I'm definitely not listening to any classical, and I'm mostly listening to jazz fusion.  (Example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTfrZ8YX5-0).  I also happen to be a bass player myself, and I enjoy strong (not heavy) bass in jazz.  Part of me is really trying to justify the M-80s, cuz I really like everything I've read about them, but I'm also obviously afraid that they won't be right.  I am definitely not using an amp, and the only EQing I can do is the built in stuff on the iPod, iPhone, or Macbook Pro.  And Yeah, I'm aware of their size.

Let me know, and if anyone else who has more direct experience on the M-80s with the kind of music I listen to could give me some advice, that would be great too.

Thanks.

Jul 16, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #10 of 19
Another thought...

Is there a portable iPhone 4/4s case/amp/extra battery that would help bring out the highs of the M-80s?  I know of the VAMP that is super expensive, but wondering if there was something like it for less?

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #12 of 19
I saw that product, but I couldn't find a place to buy the Go-Dap for the 4.  I was just wondering if anyone has used the VAMP or other products like it with the M-80s and have gone "WOW that fixed all my gripes," or if not, then it really shouldn't be worth the extra $600 
tongue.gif

Thanks again for your quick response and help!

Jul 16, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:
On my search for a portable headphone, I have finally narrowed it down to the V-MODA M-80s, the Sennheiser Amperiors, and the Beyerdynamic DT1350s.  I am looking for the perfect headphone for being on a train, in a coffee shop, etc.  Basically light commuting.  I do like isolation, but I will need to be able to hear my surroundings, be it while I'm listening, or via easy-swivel headphones, that I could swivel aside while listening to the train announcement.  I definitely cannot have a lot of bleeding so that others won't be annoyed.  I also do have a guilty preference for the style of the M-80s...

A note about isolation on the M-80. They are sealed headphones, but they also have bass vents so they let in some ambient noise. So, on one hand, it won't completely seal out annoying train rumble or wind noise, but on the other hand, you will be able to hear more of your surroundings (for safety reasons). 

Jul 16, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

A note about isolation on the M-80. They are sealed headphones, but they also have bass vents so they let in some ambient noise. So, on one hand, it won't completely seal out annoying train rumble or wind noise, but on the other hand, you will be able to hear more of your surroundings (for safety reasons). 

Thank you, very helpful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back