Amped vs. Unamped
Nov 19, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by RallyMaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you compare using the iPod -> EF2 -> HD580 path?

Don't have the cabling for it here.

Nov 19, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #17 of 36
So far I've somewhat of a similar experience with the HD595 and a claro halo sound card.

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #18 of 36
At my desk right now listening to my PK1's directly from my Fuze as my Ibasso D10 ran out of juice. It doesn't sound bad but the sound seems blurry. It seems to be the sound equivalent of not using your glasses when you're nearsighted. If you look into the distance you can see what's there, but it all seems smushed together. And you can make out blobs, but not the detail. That's the best way I can describe it. There's a bit of a veil, not having the extension of my D10. It also seems as if all the instruments are occupying the exact same physical space as they play. That's what I notice anyway.

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #19 of 36
I'm sorry.

The EF2 is a lightweight amp. This is where your problem lies.

I'm not a big fan of the EF2 unless it's a secondary amp (or starter amp). Definitely not something I'd get for serious listening.

Nov 19, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry.

The EF2 is a lightweight amp. This is where your problem lies.

I'm not a big fan of the EF2 unless it's a secondary amp (or starter amp). Definitely not something I'd get for serious listening.

Its not just the HD580s I dont hear a difference on, its all different types of headphones. Unless your just saying that its a terrible unit, which it sounds like.

Secondary amp, lol. Im beginning to think you get 90% good audio just with decent headphones. The other 10% is Head-Fi.org.

Nov 20, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lately I've seen quite a few people comment about how buying an amp made no difference. What was noticeable in every case was that they had bought either one of the most basic Little Dot amps or the EF2 and their source was a DAP or iPod, or their computer sound card. In such cases their comments didn't surprise me.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. Ok, so how advanced is the DAC and amp section of the iPod? How much were these components? Take this cost and build quality, then compare against the quality of components and design of the little dot. The difference between the two must be staggering, especially when we compare said difference against the rapidly diminishing returns of big dollar audio.

So one isn't to expect a huge difference in SQ in moving from a $0.50 amp and DAC to the $100 dollar section of the little dot? Why would moving from a $100 amp to $500 be more significant?

IMO, all improvements in amplification are subtle at best. Don't sink more dough on amps or source. Buy some better cans. That's where the money counts most.

Nov 20, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy*Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im beginning to think you get 90% good audio just with decent headphones. The other 10% is Head-Fi.org.

I'd suggest finding a meet happening in your area and trying lots of combos to find what you like. I also had the same problem you are having now when I started with my first amp a Gilmore Lite which was a bit more expensive than yours and I literally could hear no difference. I thought head-fi was a bunch of retards so I sold off the amp and left the site for a few years.

Eventually I decided to try a tube amplifier because the price was great (Little Dot MKIII $200) and I finally found something that made a difference. Subtle, but I couldn't listen without it after that, at least not seriously.

After that I decided to go up to a balanced tube amp and that's when I was really shocked at the difference. I am a firm believer in amps making enormous differences now and anyone who disagrees with me is welcome to come listen to my setup amped and unamped. I won't say you are an idiot if you still don't hear it, but I will seriously request you visit an ear doctor.

Nov 21, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashtray9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This makes absolutely no sense to me. Ok, so how advanced is the DAC and amp section of the iPod? How much were these components? Take this cost and build quality, then compare against the quality of components and design of the little dot. The difference between the two must be staggering, especially when we compare said difference against the rapidly diminishing returns of big dollar audio.

So one isn't to expect a huge difference in SQ in moving from a $0.50 amp and DAC to the $100 dollar section of the little dot? Why would moving from a $100 amp to $500 be more significant?

IMO, all improvements in amplification are subtle at best. Don't sink more dough on amps or source. Buy some better cans. That's where the money counts most.

It's not really a realistic comparison, as Apple would purchase the components by the millions, whereas Little Dot would not. But if you were purchasing the components in equal volumes, the Little Dot might end up cheaper! Anyhow, the cost of components isn't the sole discerner of what decides the sound quality. The point is, people are buying very cheap amps and feeling they are getting no benefit from them. This was my first experience when buying an amp, that it was a waste of time. Some of this is due to using them with a lousy source, such as a computer sound card, and some of it is due to the type of headphones being used just not gaining any significant benefit from only marginally better amplification.

Nov 21, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #24 of 36
erm if it doesn't sound good to you then so be it..
Your wallet will thank you, and you're happy with what you've got.

Enjoy the music which matters the most, worry about the equipment later - if it's even an issue in the first place.

Nov 21, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The point is, people are buying very cheap amps and feeling they are getting no benefit from them. This was my first experience when buying an amp, that it was a waste of time. Some of this is due to using them with a lousy source, such as a computer sound card, and some of it is due to the type of headphones being used just not gaining any significant benefit from only marginally better amplification.

I wouldn't call a $200 audio device something that is "very cheap", especially when you on a limited budget.

Nov 21, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #26 of 36
And let me reiterate, my point of this thread wasn't to complain about not hearing any difference. I am not unhappy with the setup -- I really like it. Rather I made this thread to learn to what I was looking for on the amped vs unamped topic and I did get a few helpful posts. Anymore are greatly appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 21, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #27 of 36
I don't think the problem is people buying "cheap Little Dot" amps, I think the problem is people are not matching their headphones with the correct amp. I own a Little Dot I+ and use it with my Denon and Grados and they sound great, especially the Denons. Now would it be wise to use the same amp with some 650s or K701s? NO.

People need to match the amps with headphones correctly. Little Dot amps have a great price to performance ratio, people need to do research and find out what amp matches their headphones. Another problem I see is that people want to buy one amp for all their headphones, but this isn't always easy to accomplish.

Nov 21, 2009 at 10:53 AM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by weibby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
erm if it doesn't sound good to you then so be it..
Your wallet will thank you, and you're happy with what you've got.

Enjoy the music which matters the most, worry about the equipment later - if it's even an issue in the first place.

true. but it is also very surprising for me to hear this.
I remember the first time i got my portable headroom airhead amp.
straight from my portable player, the sound was greatly improved. after that, i upgraded to a more serious amp (the ultra micro) and the sound was improved even further, and not just subtle differences.

from reading the EF-2 impression thread, i got the conclusion that it is similar in sound to the EF1 which is a very fine amp IMO, so there should be a difference from the ipod headphone out. it is weird that you don't hear it.

Nov 21, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think the problem is people buying "cheap Little Dot" amps, I think the problem is people are not matching their headphones with the correct amp. I own a Little Dot I+ and use it with my Denon and Grados and they sound great, especially the Denons. Now would it be wise to use the same amp with some 650s or K701s? NO.

People need to match the amps with headphones correctly. Little Dot amps have a great price to performance ratio, people need to do research and find out what amp matches their headphones. Another problem I see is that people want to buy one amp for all their headphones, but this isn't always easy to accomplish.

lol how much money do you have to spend on this? Not everyone can have multiple amps and multiple headphones.

Nov 21, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy*Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Secondary amp, lol. Im beginning to think you get 90% good audio just with decent headphones. The other 10% is Head-Fi.org.

LOL. There is a LOT of truth in that statement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back