Amp3
Jan 7, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #1,906 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some random thoughts on my AMP3s:
- The Pro2 has much less hiss than the Pro1 and works well with many of my IEMs. Hiss still is there to an extent, but not distracting like with the Pro1. This is personal, as I know others are very distracted by the hiss.
- These work well as DAPs. I used to just use my Pro1 as an amp, but I have been using both as DAPs, and I do think the interface is nice with the updated firmware. Ready for prime time, maybe not 100%, but close.
- I don't have freezes or lockups, well, except with some menu options I now avoid. Also, I ALWAYS leave the both my AMP3's on. When not using them, I plug them into wall power.
- FLAC on the external card for my Pro2 works fine. Initially I had some hiccups, but not now. Still have an occasional hiccup with FLAC on the internal memory. My Pro1 is similar with the internal memory.
- My impedance adapter improves the sound more with the Pro1 than the Pro2. There just seems to be a great synergy between the Pro1 with an impedance adapter and some of my IEMs. Not that the Pro2 doesn't sound great, but a little different.
- I am amazed at the how great some of my bassy IEMs sound with either AMP3, as the bass is so controlled and detailed, yet still powerful and visceral!
- I fell asleep with an AMP3 under my pillow and in the morning it was very warm!

Really looking forward to the Studio!

To my experience, If the Flac files is coded below Flac 5 class, it has no hiccup.

I also can make a conclusion for AMP3 pro that the sound quality is really amazing. It is hard to describe how it is advantage than other rest DAPs by words. While, I can't " fell asleep with an AMP3 under my pillow" , really, for the intimate music representation.

Jan 7, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #1,907 of 2,090
Well, I tried the AMP3 with the Final Audio SS. Without the impedance adapter, the hiss is too much to bear and with it, it is much better, but I will need to put a few more hours into the pair to see if it is worth it. At the moment, I am not sure. The warbly treble of the AMP3 may be a little 'off' with the FAD, but that remains to be seen.

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #1,908 of 2,090
Help!
I am having trouble using my 3 day old amp3 pro2. It just shows the face with the waves coming out of the sides whenever I try and do something besides turn it off. Needless to say I cannot play any music! Has anyone had a problem like this? What is the solution?

Thanks for your help!

Jan 10, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #1,909 of 2,090
Here are the steps I would take:
1) Make sure you have plugged your headphones into the headphone out, not the line in (I know, so basic, I am not trying to insult your intelligence). The headphone jack is on the top eft when looking at the screen.
2) Press the play button to get into the menu section and select "now playing" and see if you can play music.
If that works, see if the problem occurs again.
3) If that doesn't fix the problem, reset the AMP3 with a paperclip of other small object (button is between the headphone jack and line in jack)
4) If that doesn't work, reload the firmware and when doing so, wipe the old data.

Let us know if any of the above work for you.

Jan 10, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #1,910 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by educator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Help!
I am having trouble using my 3 day old amp3 pro2. It just shows the face with the waves coming out of the sides whenever I try and do something besides turn it off. Needless to say I cannot play any music! Has anyone had a problem like this? What is the solution?

Thanks for your help!

That symbol that you are seeing represents the "External Amp" menu selection. In this mode, the internal DAP is turned off, allowing one to use the device as an amp for an external source.

One push of the center menu button, then subsequent presses of the L or R button should take you back to the Now Playing menu. Once there, press Enter (the center menu button)

Jan 11, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #1,911 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by educator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Help!

Thanks for your help!

Try this more simple method:

1, Be sure put out the plug in the line in ( audio in) socket,

2, press the centeral button and hold for about 2 seconds until it appear the main menu on the screen.

3, Press the left button to select the submenu.

4, confirm the now playing option (by pressing the centeral button again), then you can came back to the playing mode.

If it still don't work, please refer to Hifilight's method.

Good luck .

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #1,912 of 2,090
Hey, so i just got ahold of a 16gb card and i'm trying to fill it up. i currently have maybe 5gb left empty on it (with the internal running with only one track on it), and would ideally like to cram as much on as possible while leaving it functional.

I've been copying over my collection bit by bit which is organized with an artist->album->mp3s subfolder system. whenever i copy over the next artist (red hot chili peppers, have a half a gig of their stuff) the amp3 (pro2, btw) fails to boot up.

i remember reading that some people managed to fill up their external cards by leaving an excess of unused space on their internal memory. I don't remember all their guidelines, though. If anyone here remembers... well it's pretty hard to search within this thread.

Pretty much what are some known problems to avoid? too many folders in the root menu? too many subfolders? too many songs in the root menu? should there be some balance between the number of folders and the number of tracks within those folders? (
tongue_smile.gif
)

alright, thats it, thanks

Jan 13, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #1,913 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zida /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, so i just got ahold of a 16gb card and i'm trying to fill it up. i currently have maybe 5gb left empty on it (with the internal running with only one track on it), and would ideally like to cram as much on as possible while leaving it functional.

I've been copying over my collection bit by bit which is organized with an artist->album->mp3s subfolder system. whenever i copy over the next artist (red hot chili peppers, have a half a gig of their stuff) the amp3 (pro2, btw) fails to boot up.

i remember reading that some people managed to fill up their external cards by leaving an excess of unused space on their internal memory. I don't remember all their guidelines, though. If anyone here remembers... well it's pretty hard to search within this thread.

Pretty much what are some known problems to avoid? too many folders in the root menu? too many subfolders? too many songs in the root menu? should there be some balance between the number of folders and the number of tracks within those folders? (
tongue_smile.gif
)

alright, thats it, thanks

My experience is that to leave some space with the internal memory is good for the chip data processing speed.

The simple folder and small individual folders will help AMP3 works fast. Please don't package too larger filers or too many sub-folders files in on main folder.

By the way, The maximum external meroy is 8GB too larger memory is easy cause the freezing or long time start up.

Jan 13, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #1,914 of 2,090
Btw, just curious how does the amp3 performs if we connect it to an portable amplifier (especially baby stax) compare to ipod nano via line out or even the imod? if we rank the score from the scale of 1-10... where is all of those three will be?

Jan 13, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #1,915 of 2,090
Haha - that doesn't work. It depends on what you want. The AMP3 performs admirably (and much better than its HPO) when connected to an outboard amp. I have not tried it with any Stax machine, but it is nice. As always, SQ will be up to you unless you have specific parts which are on your quota.

The AMP3 is only truly listenable via earphones when used via external amp and best serves big headphones that way. If you like it naked, you should like it amped.

Jan 13, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #1,916 of 2,090
hahaha... normally I would like it unamped for travel and casual listening.... but reading your previous comments shigzeo that amp3 should be great as a source to an external amp, so I just curious how this perform compare to others. Ah I forget to tell that I love to hear jazz both instrument and vocal plus choir and live orchestra of classical.... Rock, and others just minority in my collection. So now I got Amp3 in my hand plus baby stax on the next of my bed.... now I'm thingking if imod will make better synergy and improvement over my amp3 connect to my baby stax....

If yes... than I need to find some fund to get imod
smily_headphones1.gif
if only minor improvement than I will live with amp3 and use the fund for modding the baby stax
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #1,917 of 2,090
I'm not sure if the Baby Stax really improves with a line out. I use it with my Vaio Pocket and both headphone output & LOD are very close actually, with much better dynamics than out of my Sansa Clip for instance. Let us know how the AMP3 compares with the Nano's LOD
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #1,918 of 2,090
In the world of DAPs, line outs do not always equal better. Some, like the X5 for instance, is much worse than the headphone output.

Again, it isn't a matter of which is better in some respects, while in others it is. The AMP3 in any configuration presents things more closely (more narrow stereo separation) and distortion than a Nano HPO. The LOD should make a little difference, but what you are really hearing is that the AMP3 is unconstrained.

Its output has a warbled treble which really sounds good with the right headphone. The amp will sustain this great signature and allow the bass to fully resolve. I have not heard the baby stax, so I cannot compare it via the amp3 or via amp3/amp, but in general, the AMP3 needs an amp to get its signal into proper order.

Jan 13, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #1,919 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by shw24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hahaha... normally I would like it unamped for travel and casual listening.... but reading your previous comments shigzeo that amp3 should be great as a source to an external amp, so I just curious how this perform compare to others. Ah I forget to tell that I love to hear jazz both instrument and vocal plus choir and live orchestra of classical.... Rock, and others just minority in my collection. So now I got Amp3 in my hand plus baby stax on the next of my bed.... now I'm thingking if imod will make better synergy and improvement over my amp3 connect to my baby stax....

If yes... than I need to find some fund to get imod
smily_headphones1.gif
if only minor improvement than I will live with amp3 and use the fund for modding the baby stax
smily_headphones1.gif

I have very different opinions on AMP3.

1, Amp3 has slight hiss with few sensivity phones. such as UM3X, Shure 530. But there are about 30 models phones are proved to have no hiss with AMP3. you can check to page 51 and 104 of this threat.

if some one has very sensitive hearing and test with the very sensitive phones then make a conclustion that AMP3 is unbearable DAP, I think it is not fair to AMP3. For there are numerous AMP3 users, while there are only few complains on the hiss issue.

I have PM MAODI and DAVID who have make a detail review on AMP3 on the hiss issue, They both replied they havn't hear evident hiss with AMP3. You can PM to them to verify it.

2, Someone paired AMP3 with DT 880 and made a conclusion that AMP3 is weak on power. The conclusion is also unfair to AMP3. it is wellknown that DT880 is the one of the most difficult boosting phones. even few dest top amp can have enough power to propel well it.

In fact, AMP3 one of the most powerful DAP in the market, if there is a DAP have stronger power, please list it. Because AMP3 has a buit in seperat amp circuit.

3, I total disagree with the conclusion that AMP3 is more distortion than NANO. I think other users of AMP3 will verify this matter. AMP3 have the most unique strength on frequency controlling, no matter the highs or the mids and bass. On the contrary, we know NANO has serious distortion on louder bass and harsh highs. It is commen sense, NANO is not good at it's sound quality. Please refer to MAODI's scores on the performance of AMP3.

As for the slight narrower wide of soundstage of AMP3 than NANO, I would like to say, AMP3 is just presentation the wide of the original recording. Some DAPs have artificial wider sound stage, it is come from the echo effect, in fact it is distortion, at least pollution the pure sound.

4, AMP3 is sure suit for working as sources and preamp. but it is much better than many DAPs including NANO in term of sound quality. AMP3 is designed with 100 hours battery and built in AMP, it is clearly designed for the travel and out door usage.

5, AMP3 has some flaws, for example the small screens and old-fashion enclosure, also it has some bugs. AMP3 is far to be a perfect player. But I still not regret my invest at AMP3. AMP3 can bring me the hifi enjoyment every day.

Jan 13, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #1,920 of 2,090
Hi headfever,

I'm agree... I personally owned AMP3 and agree of its strength and I have no problem with hissing....
My question is just a matter of whether modded ipod such as RWA Imod if paired with external amp of baby stax will bring it to another level than if amp3 paired with baby stax...

I've been using amp3 unamped and i have no problm... I migh be lucky to get a good stock but happy with my purchase so far. So if I want to go ultraportable, amp3 paired with my modded IM716 with added resistor will have no issue with me, nothing beat it even my nano from HPO. It just I have baby stax which is not ultraportable and thinking of investing in RWA Imod if it will bring to another level and better synergize with baby stax...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back