Amp3
Aug 24, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #916 of 2,090
As one who just bought the AMP3 this past week and it just finished burning in, I have a perma-smile on as well.
atsmile.gif

It occurs to me though, that if Hisound would consider releasing their software as open source, that would solve a number of problems:

1. It could be fixed/updated by an enthusiastic community (including myself).
2. It will free up R&D costs for Hisound from software to where it belongs: the hardware. This will allow them to focus on bringing out newer and better devices without having to worry about the pesky software issues and support.
3. It might provide a guide for Rockbox devs... ???

Anybody else agree with this train of thought?

Aug 24, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #917 of 2,090
Hey guys, just succumbed & ordered an Amp3, hopefully I might have it by the end of the week.
As my music is all ripped via iTunes in lossless format I am going to start ripping some cd's in mp3 format in readiness for the AMP3.
Although I have read through a lot of this thread I haven't found the answers to everything so could I pls ask:

1. I presume transferring music to the player is a case of drag & drop?
2. Do you have to put the files into folders or can you just transfer albums as they are?

THanks

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #918 of 2,090
1. Yes, through Explorer or other file/music manager.
2. You can put them in any scheme you'd like, but there are caveats which you can read in previous posts on this thread. If you have too many files in a folder it takes much longer to start up, and if an MP3 is bad, or maybe other unknown conditions, the player locks up until you reset it and delete the offending files. Searching for the bad file is hit or miss since there's no way to tell other than deleting it and waiting (a long) time to boot again.

I have an 8 GB card in there (class 6) and it takes forever to boot with about 5 GB full. More than 5GB it doesn't seem to like, so I keep it to that size.

We are all hoping firmware fixes are forthcoming, but I'd like to ask for open sourcing the code as it just makes sense from business and quality perspectives (and allows us to fix the issues and add features quicker).

HiSound are you listening??

Aug 24, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #920 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zida /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wanna go ahead and say that i think open source would be a great idea!

Oh, definitely. Rockbox, for instance, on the AMP3 would be epic.

Aug 24, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #921 of 2,090
Totally agree. Rockbox. The code is there already, no need to develope from scratch, low maintIenance cost, because the project is users driven/support.

I WILL buy the next AMP3 if it support SPDIF out, and If it use rockbox, then I MUST buy it no matter what (except the price must be good to.
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Aug 24, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #923 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Yes, through Explorer or other file/music manager.
...................................snip........... .............................
I have an 8 GB card in there (class 6) and it takes forever to boot with about 5 GB full. More than 5GB it doesn't seem to like, so I keep it to that size.
...................................snip........... .............................
HiSound are you listening??

Are you using "Random" for the Play Mode? It takes MUCH longer to boot in Random than it does in Normal.

For example, with my internal memory nearly full and my 8gb card about 85% full, it take about 3 minutes to boot using Random, vs about 35 seconds using Normal.

Usually I listen in Random Play mode, but change to Normal before shutting it down. Then after (quick) rebooting, I change back to Random.

Aug 25, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #924 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you using "Random" for the Play Mode? It takes MUCH longer to boot in Random than it does in Normal.

For example, with my internal memory nearly full and my 8gb card about 85% full, it take about 3 minutes to boot using Random, vs about 35 seconds using Normal.

Usually I listen in Random Play mode, but change to Normal before shutting it down. Then after (quick) rebooting, I change back to Random.

Take out the SDHC card before the boot. it will be a very fast boot processing. and then input the SDHC. It is another compromises solution for farster boot.

Aug 25, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #925 of 2,090
I have an 8GB (Class 6) micro sdhc card in my AMP3, filled with about 7.5 GB of music. I never run the AMP3 in Random mode. It takes about 30 - 40 seconds for the AMP3 to start up. I'm not finding that I cannot take advantage of the full capacity of either internal memory or external memory cards, which is a feature of the AMP3 I very much appreciate.

Aug 25, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #926 of 2,090
One more vote for Rockbox..

Nice call on the Koss phones though.. I just got my $13 KSC75s delivered today,
redface.gif

this is awesome

something else I noticed.. when I use my amp3 while it's plugged in and charging through the power adapter, everything things to run a lot faster.. scrolling through the songs while a song is playing is always smooth and there's no delay usually experienced when picking a song from the list.

Aug 25, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #928 of 2,090
RockboxRockboxRockboxRockboxRockboxRockbox

RockboxRockboxRockboxRockboxRockboxRockboxRockboxR ockboxRockboxRockboxRockboxRockbox

Yeah, pretty much.

Aug 25, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #930 of 2,090
Thanks for the bootup tips! I didn't realize I could plug the SD card in after boot. Tho most times I've needed to start up were after a reset.. hehe, no time to change the play mode.

I've left it on day and night for the past 5 days just to get through burn in. It sounds so sweet now, there isn't a portable source I've heard that can hold a candle to it. I've been switching between the bundled buds and SR80s and definitely prefer the SR80s.

I tried it just once with my SCL3s and haven't made up my mind yet. Anybody here try it with SE530s or UM3x by any chance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back