Amp3
Jul 9, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #287 of 2,090
@cn11, thank you for the explanation. Decided no comments on SQ until it is fully burned in (since it's already been covered by a few owners). I also intend to listen critically with the included phones, as well as the Westones and Grados.

Jul 9, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #288 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone having FLAC skipping?

I have Transcend 8GB cards, A-Data 16GB card, and a Kingston 4GB card. Have you been doing a quick format? Should I format the AMP3?

I would not reformat the Amp3, sounds risky.

Jul 9, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #291 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On first listen I hear about the same level of ultimate detail between the players. Soundstage is also dead on equal. But bass goes to the X, no doubt. I hope it deepens with some burn in on the amp3. The difference in upper end is that the amp3 seems to my ears to be colder in its presentation. The Sony seems more mellow, natural, and more intimate by comparison. This is not a subtle difference.

Quote:

At this point though, the Sony X is the better sounding player by a good margin.

Hope this is helpful at this initial stage.

Quote:

I am expecting things to improve dramatically. But there are some big ways it's falling short that have me wondering at this point. We'll see what the 100 hours brings.

Quote:

I will reserve any conclusions until that window has been passed. I simply wanted to report what I hear out of the box, since there's been so much anticipation related to these two players, and since for many of us ultimate SQ is the biggest goal.

I know some people want to know about how it sounds out of the box, which is why you posted that info. And I actually find it amazing that the AMP3 is equal in detail and soundstage at this juncture (no burn in on the AMP3). I would have been amazed if the AMP3 out of the box sounded better than a burned in Sony X. If the AMP3 follows my experience with op amp burning in, it should get much better all around, including detail, stage, smoothness, bass, mids, treble! And all the DAPs I have tried (including a relatives Sony 816) sounded better after burn in. I can't wait!

And on your bold comment, I could have said that about my OPA627 op amp before burn in compared to a lower end op amp such as the LT1364, but after burn in there is no comparison! I know, just an initial comment, but I don't understand why the focus on that at this stage.

Plus, I think the treble is just about right with my IE8, which seem to be a good match for me with the AMP3. I do like the included buds a lot and think they have a somewhat similar sound sig to the IE8 IMO (there are differences, but I will wait to see how they compare after more burn in), but burn in could change all that.

Now here's hoping for a firmware update!

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #295 of 2,090
How long did it take for everyones players to arrive? Does anyone know if he still has some in stock?

If the 16 gb cards are in fact confirmed as working I'd be fully down to give this thing a try. I'll wait a bit of coarse. I don't care about excess features or gapless.

Jul 10, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #296 of 2,090
Here are a few pics to show proportions compared to the X. Tstarn06- Do you have any you can post to maybe show it in comparison to the Zune?

DSC00462.jpg

DSC00466.jpg

DSC00467.jpg

DSC00459.jpg

Jul 10, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #297 of 2,090
Have to wait until tomorrow, maybe the weekend (might be gone all day tomorrow), but basically the Zune is about the same size as the Sony, I think (though the Sony might be a tad thinner) and the Touch is around the same as well. So not sure why it would make much difference showing comparison photos of the Zune and the Amp3. I think your excellent photos pretty much sum up the form factor of the Amp3 compared to other, prettier players.

Truth is, the Amp3 has been ugly since the first photos were published on this thread and on the Whiplash forum. And, it's still ugly compared to sleek players like the X1000 and the Touch.

My real interest is SQ, which is true of most who have posted on this thread, I'd say. Other issues, like size, features, etc., were not a factor for me in purchasing the Amp3, because I already have several players that I like just fine (and I knew from the start that the Amp3 could not compete with other players on those issues). The idea that this player could rival the best available for SQ is why I bought it, so I will concede the beauty pageant to the Sony or Touch (certainly the Zune is no looker either, but it is my main mega-storage player).

Now, the fact that using the Panasonic app means a 16GB card looks like it will work (at least Joe reports that it has so far), to me that's much more important news than size comparisons. I only wish I had ordered a 16GB card instead of the 8GB card I got from Amazon (along with the two 2GB and single 1GB card I already owned).

Once the 16GB card is cleared by others, I will have to pick one up. And if a firmware upgrade will support flac and a 32GB card (when they are available), even better.

Jul 10, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #298 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by casper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long did it take for everyones players to arrive? Does anyone know if he still has some in stock?

If the 16 gb cards are in fact confirmed as working I'd be fully down to give this thing a try. I'll wait a bit of coarse. I don't care about excess features or gapless.

Took two days, and I am sure if you PM Craig on the Whiplash forum he will tell you how much stock is left. I think he does, from some communications I had with him recently, but just ask (and it can also be ordered from the Whiplash site at the intro price).

Jul 10, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #299 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Took two days, and I am sure if you PM Craig on the Whiplash forum he will tell you how much stock is left. I think he does, from some communications I had with him recently, but just ask (and it can also be ordered from the Whiplash site at the intro price).

Yeah, he quickly pm'd me after posting that message. For some reason I got the impression everyone was getting these from overseas, which was why I was concerned.

Stoked, I'll probably just buy this thing in a couple days. It's worth the risk I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back