Amp3 Pro2 and the STUDIO
Nov 18, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #586 of 929
Can anyone comment on how long it takes for shipping to Australia? I ordered the Amp3 Pro2 on 16.11 and got a confirmation email from Paypal saying "Your package is on its way". Also gave me a tracking number, which says:

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on November 17, 2009 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

Nov 18, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #587 of 929
Please note the addendum below regarding booting a 16gb card!

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I conducted a rather interesting experiment comparing the playback of the exact same files, cued up together for the purpose of comparing volume settings between the Pro.1 and Pro.2, both with updated firmware. (US version for the Pro.2)

I discovered, using the same Yuin earbuds, that when the volume of the Pro.1 was set at 19, it took a volume setting of 23 for the Pro.2 to exactly match the volume setting of the Pro.1 (19).

Tonally, they were similar, although I believe the female vocals are just a bit recessed in the Pro.2 and male vocals are somewhat warmer, indicating a slight boost in the mid-bass for the Pro.2.

It was mentioned by a previous poster that while the Resource Manager worked perfectly in the Pro.2, selecting a song from the Music menu resulted in a lockup of the player. This is not the case. Although the screen blacks out, and the controls are unresponsive, the selected tune will eventually begin to play, giving the impression of locking up.

Functionally speaking, it probably should be considered to be locked up, as it sometimes takes 5 minutes or more to begin playing the desired selection, although in every case, it eventually began to play again.

It appears that the player needs to re-create a complete playlist when making a selection from the Music menu.

I have not yet tried my 16gb card in my Pro.2, but will probably to so tomorrow.

ADDENDUM: I did try my 16gb card that I was using (successfully) in my updated PRO.1 by swapping it with the 8gb card that I was using in my PRO.2.

After swapping cards and rebooting, the player failed to initialize the 16gb card, but after a hard reset and reboot, it found the card and initialized it OK. At this point, it seems like as long as one does a hard reset and reboot after swapping cards, the PRO.2 will perform as expected.

Nov 18, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #588 of 929
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone comment on how long it takes for shipping to Australia? I ordered the Amp3 Pro2 on 16.11 and got a confirmation email from Paypal saying "Your package is on its way". Also gave me a tracking number, which says:

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on November 17, 2009 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

The USPS is usually about a day behind with the tracking info. Did you pay for any kind of express shipping? If not, I would expect you to have it in 10-14 business days. Be patient, you'll get it!

Nov 18, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #589 of 929
Heh, I know....it's just reading all these posts about the SQ has really made me enthusiastic. BTW I come from a Cowon D2, then a Sansa Clip+, and neither SQ have really impressed me. So I got a lot riding on this purchase.

Nov 19, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #590 of 929
Quote:

Heh, I know....it's just reading all these posts about the SQ has really made me enthusiastic. BTW I come from a Cowon D2, then a Sansa Clip+, and neither SQ have really impressed me. So I got a lot riding on this purchase.

I have a Cowon D2 as well. The only thing it does better than the Amp3 is drive full size headphones. As far as SQ, the Amp3 sounds better by far. Just wish I could turn it up louder. It's the quietest DAP I've ever used.

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #592 of 929
I've just update my pro 2 to 5.42. Just like to share that every time i set my player to random playback mode and restart it, they will start back up in normal play mode. It wouldn't stay at random play mode. So every time you switch on the pro 2, you have to manually go to settings and set them back to random mode again. I guess this is how they improve the boot up time of the pro 2. Its a little tiresome but i am able to live with it as long it doesn't take hours to boot up from random mode!

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #593 of 929
Quote:

Oh...that worries me a little. But I don't use full size headphones, just my yuin pk3 and koss portapro. Would the AMP3 pro2 adequately drive those?

Funny you should mention the Koss Portapro, I've heard from another headfi member that it's a perfect combo with the Amp3. I think you'll be just fine. I forget who it was, it's in this thread somewhere, but he said the volume with the Portopro's was deafening! So, I wouldn't worry, I think you're golden.
L3000.gif

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #594 of 929
Quote:

Originally Posted by toffeefan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just update my pro 2 to 5.42. Just like to share that every time i set my player to random playback mode and restart it, they will start back up in normal play mode. It wouldn't stay at random play mode. So every time you switch on the pro 2, you have to manually go to settings and set them back to random mode again. I guess this is how they improve the boot up time of the pro 2. Its a little tiresome but i am able to live with it as long it doesn't take hours to boot up from random mode!

That's excactly why they did it. If you start the Amp3 in random mode, boot up times are LOOOONG.

Nov 19, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #595 of 929
I now have some hours playing with my new amp3 pro2, version 5.42.
Using the hisound earphones, and the koss porta pro or grado sr60.

1- The machine: great quality... it's small, but very well built. I think it's a beatiful gadget
ksc75smile.gif

2- The earphones: they are very good, they do look cheap but sound very smooth. I use it with my ibasso D4, and ipod classic, via qables reference lod, and the sound was clear, with the right amount of bass, and treble....

3- Menu interface: the thing a like less... it seams like an mp3 from other century....the ebook??? What for? To be honest I don't know if my amp is in normal playmode??? (What is the symbol for that?)
And As I read with the new firmware... when I turn off the player while listening to some song then when I start it again it would go to the song I was playing!? But mine don't!
The time to start up is 1 or two minutes with an 8gb sdhc card...
triportsad.gif

4- Sound quality: that's the reason!!! It very very good!!! As far as you use inear phones.... or in canal phones, the ones that came with the amp3 are very good.... but the etymotic 6i go very well to... With "normal" phones (and I use only koss porta pro and grado sr60) there's no power to drive then!!!
triportsad.gif
The sound is weak... and if you put it maximum level (31) the hiss will be very bad for yours ears.

The sound is clear, crystal clear, smooth, full, very balanced.... the bass is there, the treble clean...

5- Conclusion: If you want an small player with a great sound for in ear or in canal phones, and to listen not so loud (metal lovers stay way...), this is a great one, and with the price (I pay 120 euros) ....
happy_face1.gif

If you want to drive normal headphones... I think you should buy another rig... the ibasso d4 as an amp, and an ipod or cowon or iriver or sony player.

Regards

PS- Please clarify me! What symbol should I saw in my amp3 in normal mode play? A small white square with an reverse arrow inside?
tongue_smile.gif
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 19, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #596 of 929
That's really good news for me: the amp3 working well together with the Koss Portapro (which has to be my favorite 'immediate impact' headphones). Now I simply can't wait...ah...

Nov 19, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #597 of 929
Quote:

That's really good news for me: the amp3 working well together with the Koss Portapro (which has to be my favorite 'immediate impact' headphones). Now I simply can't wait...ah...

Uh-oh... You might want to read about the PortaPros on Pjaires' post above.. I swear I heard otherwise here, but you may want to read what he has to say.. I'll look for the post I read praising the Amp3\PortaPros combination...

Nov 19, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #598 of 929
I have the Ksc35s, which have PortaPro drivers, and the Pro1 and Pro2 drive them just fine. So not sure why Pjaires is having problems. And I absolutely love the sound of my Grado SR-80s with either Amp3, and again, no power issues, no hiss. Strange that he is having opposite issues. Very strange indeed.

Nov 19, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #599 of 929
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Ksc35s, which have PortaPro drivers, and the Pro1 and Pro2 drive them just fine. So not sure why Pjaires is having problems. And I absolutely love the sound of my Grado SR-80s with either Amp3, and again, no power issues, no hiss. Strange that he is having opposite issues. Very strange indeed.

After months of reading this forum, I'm beginning to wonder if the Amp3 players are consistent. Are some players louder than others? Are some more prone to hiss? Certainly there have been difference in battery life, but likely that is due to people chosing different 'phones and IEM's, and volume levels. Just a theory, but there are many conflicting opinions with similiar headphones. For example, recently I've heard a few different opinions on the Amp3's ability to drive even the Koss Portapros.

I understand people play different styles of music, with varying degrees of recording quality, but I still find the different opinions very interesting. My Pro2 even after the update is at 31 with my 42ohm ESW9's. And it's not like I'm trying to rattle my head with them.

Nov 19, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #600 of 929
Hm yes it does seem interesting results vary between individuals. I've always felt the Koss Portapro with its strong emphasis on bass could elevate any dap; it works ok with my clip, but i feel the clip has a limited mushy soundstage with smearing of details in the bottom scale. So it brings the Portapro down a bit.

On the other hand it was a match made in heaven with my iriver Slimx mp3 cd player, really pure thumping bass and fantastic mids/trebles.

I guess I will have to wait with baited breath for the amp3 to arrive so I can see for myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back