Amp
Apr 9, 2007 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

strungoutt1

100+ Head-Fier
So far it seems the Singlepower MPX3 and the Meier Opera are good choices. The opera im assuming would be a good amp and have the DAC built right in. Its easy, looks good and doesnt cost too much considering it has both the DAC and amp.

What would you guys suggest in my situation. Go for the whole package, Opera, or get a singlepower and later try and get a External DAC?

Apr 9, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 16
Singlepower is supposed to be great indeed. Opera probably wont' be shabby. Consider the HA3000 ? Or whatever the matching amp for the L3000 is. There's one for sale for 2200 in the FS forums. Congrats on scoring a pair btw I know you've been looking.

Apr 9, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 16
If you are confident of the quality of your source, then go singlepower due to recommendations of those owners with your same can, I suppose.

However, an amp is only as GREAT as the material it is fed is where I see the advantage of the Opera in that it is matched. Its DAC , no I/Cs needed , said to be up there with 1500 - 3000 sources in terms of many neuanced subtle qualities of the presentation of material played.

Also, the versatility of the Opera as a centerpiece of a home system with its many imputs and output options (less optical), is highly attractive for my application in terms of the preamp capibilities which the S.P. also has, I understand.

I also like the idea of its ability of giving a near balanced increase of preformance to HPs without all the aditional associated costs.

Those are my reasons for leaning towards the purchace. Source upgrade and fantastic amp in one package.

I have a MAD which drives my RS-2s superbly but my bottleneck would be my source ... I believe I will be pulling the trigger on the Opera after a careful audition soon....

Best of luck & regards

Apr 9, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #4 of 16
The Singlepower SDS is a totally awesome & synergistic match with the right tubes, though I've not heard any lower amps in the SP line. When you first hear it, it's hard to imagine anything better. You definitely should also consider the AT DHA3000, which according to my most trusted sources, is at least on par with an upgraded SDS (only for the L3000, though)...and it's unlikely you will find a nice SDS for as little as a DHA3000.

The Opera might be nice but it will be more of a risk since I'm not yet aware of any of the heavy L3000 users (who also have owned many other headphones & amps) that are using that combo.

Apr 9, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #5 of 16
Whenever they come in, come by and try my current toy, FEEL HP200SE, although someone else will have to fill you in on where to get one of these and for how much.

Apr 10, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #8 of 16
Yeah there was one guy powering W5000s with an Opera and said there was a good amount of synergy there though I think perhaps less than with a Yamamoto HA-02 or one of the AT amps. Of course the L3000 is at least a couple notches on the W5000s with a significantly different sound signature... if you live near Malos (Davis student as well?) than I would suggest of course coming to the meet if you haven't already and an Opera should be available (Amonst other things) for testing... a couple weeks away but if it takes you a week to receieve your amp than not too long! Esp if the L3000 cleaned you out.

Apr 10, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #9 of 16
Congrats on picking up the L3000s. Now there is one less person on the waiting list :wink:

Apr 10, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #10 of 16
You mean two less ;p Hirsch sold a pair to someone as well. Dunno who, but just know that there are two less! Have hope
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #11 of 16
Thanks - all in due season, right?! In due season!

Apr 10, 2007 at 6:24 AM Post #13 of 16
I tried a Corda Opera and its DAC using a coax input from a CDP transport with an HD650, K701 and DT990-'05. I was disappointed with the sound, and didn't think it was better than a Lavry DA10 > Prehead MkII SE or Lehmann BCL using the same headphones.

I haven't tried AT headphones with the Opera. I didn't think ATs matched very well with the Corda HA-2 MkII SE or Prehead MkII SE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course the L3000 is at least a couple notches on the W5000s with a significantly different sound signature...

Of course?

Yes, the L3000 and W5000 have significantly different sound signatures, and that's one reason why I don't think one is necessarily better than the other. I don't consider the L3000 better than the W5000 or even the AD2000, though I've never tried it with a SDS or DHA3000.

Apr 10, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #14 of 16
I am also interested in an amp for my L3000s, I had a look at the DHA3000, but I was a little turned off in that it can only be connected to a digital source. How on earth would I connect my vinyl rig to it...

Apr 10, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by juzmister /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am also interested in an amp for my L3000s, I had a look at the DHA3000, but I was a little turned off in that it can only be connected to a digital source. How on earth would I connect my vinyl rig to it...

True, that is a problem for those with vinyl or extremely high end digital sources. However, it should be of interest to the thread starter, who's interested in an all-in-one source & amp solution. Not sure he's aware that the DHA3000 has a built-in DAC of excellent quality? Would be the perfect, safe choice for guaranteed excellent synergy in the whole rig, IMO. That's what I'd get in his situation...if you can't afford it now, then save until you can
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back