Amp with USB Input
Aug 24, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #2 of 22
NM...I missed the integrated amp part.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 24, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 22
All I found via Google were some JVC receivers that might have been discontinued.....and the Pioneer A-A9 integrated amp (in the EU, aka the SX-A9-J in Canada.) It's part of a line that, in Pioneer's infinite wisdom (read that as "ignorance of the fact that not all in the US want only a/v receivers") isn't worth selling here, AFAIK.

Looks really cool, though!

aa9j_medium.jpg

a9construction_medium.jpg

Dual toroidals, decent sized caps in the power supply, and stout heatsinking (though it doesn't come close to doubling output into 4 ohms versus 8.)

Any Canadians seen this available? Google doesn't turn up any links with a price.

Aug 24, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 22
assuming you mean for headphones, then:
take a look at Meier-Audio for instance. known to be great amps here! alternatively, you could build one
biggrin.gif
I'm busy building a millet hybrid max, which will probably be used with an Alien DAC all for waay under 500$, and it'd beat any 'reciever's headphone out any day
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 24, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #6 of 22
By "int amp", he means an "integrated amp" that can drive loudspeakers, not just headphones ("integrated amp" in American audiophile-ese means a preamp and power amp in one box.)

Aug 24, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #7 of 22
oh. well.. you could always pair an alien DAC rather succesfuly with any 'int amp' then.. or find other decent/better external DACs. specially since the amp isnt portable anyway. this way you got a much wider selection, and you go for amp SQ, not just features. you can find built alien dacs on the forum.. it probably beats any int-amps built in dac too btw..

Aug 24, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruZZ.il /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh. well.. you could always pair an alien DAC rather succesfuly with any 'int amp' then.. or find other decent/better external DACs. specially since the amp isnt portable anyway. this way you got a much wider selection, and you go for amp SQ, not just features. you can find built alien dacs on the forum.. it probably beats any int-amps built in dac too btw..

I think what you're referring to is a 'Receiver'. I personally view integrated amp as simply pre-amp+power-amp combo (mainly to power speakers, with no other functions added) and a class or two higher in SQ than receivers.

Aug 24, 2007 at 11:52 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jung /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which under $500 receiver or int amp has USB audio input? Thanks.

Equipment forums>amplification forum>search: usb amps

TRY TO START USING OUR OWN SEARCH ENGINES. THEY HELP.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...light=usb+amps

Aug 24, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think what you're referring to is a 'Receiver'. I personally view integrated amp as simply pre-amp+power-amp combo (mainly to power speakers, with no other functions added) and a class or two higher in SQ than receivers.

It's not really a personal thing--those terms have always meant specific items in the realm of audio gear.

Integrated amp means, as you describe, a preamp/power amp combination, normally with input switching capabilities, and probably tape monitor loop(s). Normally just to drive a 2.0 speaker configuration, too. I think Music Hall was the first maker to try a DAC/integrated amp combination, the Mambo, a few years ago.....is that correct, anyone?

"Receivers" always include a tuner, otherwise they wouldn't "receive" anything. "Stereo receiver" has always meant an integrated amp with a tuner in the same case......and these days, it might or might not include some digital input/DAC capability.

"Home theater receivers" and/or "a/v receivers" include the ability to decode multi-channel surround formats and drive more than a 2.0 speaker configuration.

Aug 24, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TRY TO START USING OUR OWN SEARCH ENGINES. THEY HELP.

Try to start reading the message, that helps too...
rolleyes.gif
The guy is looking for an integrated amp!

Aug 25, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #13 of 22
although this is head(phone)-fi, I think
tongue.gif
still, some knowledgeable ppl but more likely to find much more info in the right forum..

Aug 26, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #15 of 22
If you're willing to splash just a tad more cash ($649), the Outlaw Audio RR 2150 receiver is a really excellent option. It has a USB input, phono stage, bass management and quite a bit more. I was looking for something much cheaper a year ago, but went ahead and bought one (albeit at the introductory $599 price); haven't regretted it one iota.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back