AMP With Optical inputs ?
Dec 28, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #16 of 23
That's probably because there are no amps with optical inputs. Well, there are, in a way, but only when they have a built-in dac. All an amp does is amplify the input signal to proper headphone levels. A dac translates the digital signal that comes through, say, an optical connection, to an analog signal that can then be amplified.

Dec 28, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #17 of 23
Two small amps that come to mind that have an optical input (and USB) are the iBasso D10 (small and portable) and the Travagans Green, (larger, not portable). Both are much smaller than a conventional A/V receiver. Neither, however, have Dolby or surround modes, just superb amplifier sections.

Dec 28, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #18 of 23
peachtree-audio_nova_rear.jpg

Peachtree Audio - Nova

Dec 28, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by dishkyun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Peachtree Audio - Nova

He says he doesn't want to spend hundreds of pounds, yet you link him to a $1200 product?

Dec 28, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #20 of 23
How long have the HD555's been breaking in? Mine chaged substantially for the better after two-three weeks even without amplification. So, I would give it some time and maybe he wouldn't need anything else.

However, the Beresford 7520 ($250) Amp/DAC has an optical in and really sounded nice with my Senns HD555's. There was a very noticable difference using the 7520 over plugging straight into my x-fi soundcard. Plus 30 day return policy.

Dec 28, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulwilko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, fair do's

I am the original poster and beleive me, i did a search on Headphone AMPS with optical in, but coulnd't find what I needed hence the thread here.

Lucky I did as it has been very helpful

Cheers

Paul

Why not take a look on ebay for a used AVR they have everything that you need and more,most have Dolby or SRS headphone out and can be purchased for a moderate amount.

Dec 29, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulwilko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, fair do's

I am the original poster and beleive me, i did a search on Headphone AMPS with optical in, but coulnd't find what I needed hence the thread here.

Lucky I did as it has been very helpful

Cheers

Paul

Oops, lol.

Anyway, a receiver is what you want, so eBay Search time!
Alternatively, look at the Zero DAC.

Dec 29, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #23 of 23
You can choose this:

Fubar IV Special Edition

Really good sound, not much expensive, Build'in headphoneAmp + DAC & cool design.
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back