Amp with IEMs? Worth money.
Jan 16, 2009 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Joe18

New Head-Fier
Is it worth it to buy an amp for my MP3 player if i`m only using IEMs? I plan on buying either Klipsch Custom 3s or ER HF5's. And they'll be used either with a creative zen, ipod classic, or samsung p2 or p3. Will i notice a difference with an amp, or will it mereley be a extra power issue. If so what would be a good option to look at?
Thanks

Jan 16, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #2 of 17
I have and iPod 160GB Classic , LOD, UE Triple.fi's and an iBasso D3, I also rip my CD's in Apple Lossless format.

I can tell the difference between IEM's from the headphone socket and using the D3 via the LOD and I think the difference is worth the money.

I also plug the iPod+LOD into my Arietta and use my AKG K701's and that sounds even better than the D3 + Triple.fi's, though not as portable unless you have a really long mains lead.

If I was to start again I would get a Corda 3Move and a Cantate.2 as I really like the crossfeed filter.

Sorry for your wallet.

Steven.

Jan 16, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #3 of 17
Jan 16, 2009 at 12:22 PM Post #4 of 17
Just another datapoint:

I've used an early Total Airhead (inexpensive amp) for a number of years with Etymotics, Shures and Westones. Even from the headphone output of various iPods, the amp has *always* resulted in a more relaxed, more rhythmic, more spacious and more enjoyable sound (files are Apple Lossless - no EQ used).

Jan 17, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by swayne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have and iPod 160GB Classic , LOD, UE Triple.fi's and an iBasso D3, I also rip my CD's in Apple Lossless format.

I can tell the difference between IEM's from the headphone socket and using the D3 via the LOD and I think the difference is worth the money.

I also plug the iPod+LOD into my Arietta and use my AKG K701's and that sounds even better than the D3 + Triple.fi's, though not as portable unless you have a really long mains lead.

If I was to start again I would get a Corda 3Move and a Cantate.2 as I really like the crossfeed filter.

Sorry for your wallet.

Steven.

what LOD do you use?

Jan 17, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #8 of 17
For sound quality -> Yes.
For portability -> No.

I am willing to sacrifice sound quality for portability (small size) in a portable rig. Hence I no longer have an external portable amplifier. For portable use a simple DAP -> Earphone does the job.
You may of course have other preferences.
wink.gif

Jan 17, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #9 of 17
all depends on your viewpoint and what you consider portable. also on the IEM you are going to be using. I personally am on the flip-side to krmathis on this; i'm willing to sacrifice portability for better audio. I always have a bag with me anyway for my transportable rig (heaven) and if I need a realy pocketable rig then I use the pico and low-profile LOD. Both rigs improve the sound markedly IMO. the lisa III is heaven in a box.

Jan 17, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatguyoverthere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what LOD do you use?

The one from iBasso. The older version of their "Line Out Dock" and their CB01 cable.

Steven.

Jan 17, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For sound quality -> Yes.
For portability -> No.

I am willing to sacrifice sound quality for portability (small size) in a portable rig. Hence I no longer have an external portable amplifier. For portable use a simple DAP -> Earphone does the job.
You may of course have other preferences.
wink.gif

So whats your portable rig? iPod + IEM?

sounds boring.

for me, the main reason i use an Amp is because the iPods headphone out aint good enough and not because earphones are hard to drive.

Jan 17, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So whats your portable rig? iPod + IEM?

sounds boring.

1G iPod nano & iBuds... Not kidding!
I listen at home, and have just background music on the road with my portable rig.

Jan 17, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1G iPod nano & iBuds... Not kidding!
I listen at home, and have just background music on the road with my portable rig.

he's not kidding and seems to refuse to do something about it. I think he's angling for a 'lets buy krmathis a UE11 fundraiser' hehe jk
tongue.gif

Jan 17, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #14 of 17
I often wonder how many head-fiers are using large and/or expensive portable rigs more as a fashion statement than for any type of critical listening reasons. I know I primarily just want the train commute noise to go away - and an ipod + comfortable IEMs does the job very well.

Jan 17, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #15 of 17
i'm sure there are a few around for sure; but i'm not one of them. nobody even knows what my rig is here in OZ, so no fashion statement here, besides its tucked away in my bag with only the IEM cable emerging from a side pocket. sure I do like the way it looks, but I like the way it sounds more. I cant say i'm much into critical listening anyway; I just like to enjoy my music to the max
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back