Amp with DT880 and Onix XCD-88, ~$300?
Aug 14, 2005 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

fante7

500+ Head-Fier
So the head-fi upgrade bug strikes again and I'm considering an upgrade. One system I'm thinking of getting is Onix XCD-88 -> some amp -> DT880. What are some recommended (synergistic) ways to fill in the blank? I'm thinking no more than $300 or so but I could stretch if necessary. I listen to mostly progressive rock (both old school 70's and new prog metal) and some heavy metal, with a bit of classic rock and orchestral music. I'm currently considering these amps:

Gilmore Lite
Rega Ear
Millett Hybrid (used from a particular fellow head-fier)

The only one of those that I've actually heard so far is the Gilmore Lite, which I liked with the HD650 a lot. I want good detail but it can't be too bright. I don't generally like Grados as much because of the brightness. I really think I would like the sound of tubes but most tube amps seem too expensive for me.

The amp that I own right now is the BitHead, and I'm expecting a significant improvement over it.

Edit: I'm planning on using this amp in a home rig, and as such, I'd rather not have a portable amp.

Aug 14, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #3 of 11
Hmm, another thing I should have mentioned is that I don't particularly want a portable amp. This is going to be for a home listening rig, and I feel like even if a portable amp sounds good, you're paying for the portability. I'll edit the original post to reflect this.

Aug 14, 2005 at 5:10 AM Post #4 of 11
A PPA and M3 can also fall within your budget

I used a PPA with a XCD-88 when I had them both and though it was a great pair (with HD600, HD650, RS2's)... I only sold both of them becuase I went to a PC rig and needed greater functionality out of an amp...

Aug 14, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #5 of 11
Anyone have experience with the DT880 and at least one of these amps? There are so many choices
frown.gif

Aug 15, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #7 of 11
of those 3, both the lite and the hybrid are good choices. I like the sound of my hybrid w/ the 880s (which I friggin love) more than the lites I've tryed.

Although, having just heard the new hornet w/ my 880s today at the socal meet, I honestly wouldn't overlook it even w/ its size at its pricepoint.

Aug 15, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime
Singlepower PPX3 all the way. The DT880's are somewhat bright themselves so use some tubes to bring some bass and warmth to your harder edged music.

Hmm, now that's an interesting option... Is the XCD-88 a worthy source for a PPX3? How much do these things go for now? I think one of the reviews in the full reviews section said it was going for $465, which I might be able to do.

Aug 15, 2005 at 8:59 PM Post #10 of 11
I would suggest you might want to audition the Gilmore Lite and the Onix in the same system (if you can) before going for it.

I had a Onix/GL combo and I found it a bit bright overall. The DT990s did help a bit but in the end I sold both. I think both are very good but a touch bass lean and the combination played to the weaknesses of both. Just my $0.02.

Aug 15, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
I would suggest you might want to audition the Gilmore Lite and the Onix in the same system (if you can) before going for it.

I had a Onix/GL combo and I found it a bit bright overall.

I agree. The DT880 is already a bright headphone. If you don't like the brightness, the GLite will make it crazy.
tongue.gif
(I on the other hand like brightness...
biggrin.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back