Amp v/s bass roll-off on Cowon D2
Mar 17, 2012 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Fernito

100+ Head-Fier
Hey there!

Well, now I own a Cowon D2 and Radius DDM headphones, and there is a noticeable roll-off in the subbass when using the Cowon, thing that doesn't happen when I use, for example, my computer's sound card as source.

The thing is that I'm planning on getting the UM Merlins in the future, and with their 12 ohms impedance, I guess the bass roll-off will be even more noticeable.

I've read sometimes that using an amp will prevent the bass roll-off, so my question is: is that true? Or should I be better planning on getting another portable source?

Thanks in advance!

Mar 18, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 9
No one? :frowning2:

Mar 19, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #4 of 9
If the bass roll-off is because of a capacitor coupled output (quite common), then using an amplifier will indeed fix it. I have only seen measurements of the Cowon i9, but that does have this issue:

Mar 19, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for your replies guys. I'll be getting an amp then
smile.gif

Mar 19, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #6 of 9
I have a d2 and with low impedance headphones there is noticable bass roll off. Amping the headphone out does fix it and it is clean to amp out which is a great. Another option would be using high impedance headphones which seems to also fix the bass roll off mostly.

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
I have a d2 and with low impedance headphones there is noticable bass roll off. Amping the headphone out does fix it and it is clean to amp out which is a great. Another option would be using high impedance headphones which seems to also fix the bass roll off mostly.

Yeah, but the problem is that the phones I'm planning to get have very low impedance (12 ohms). But using an amp will do the trick
smile.gif

Mar 22, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #8 of 9
other trick is using Impedance adaptor, but i think u need to know basic electronic knowledge.
maybe some amps with bass knob (pratical devices, govibe vulcan, lisa, etc) can help to increase the bass of cowon d2.
also dont forget to play the equalizer or BBE setting.

Mar 22, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #9 of 9
I got a cheap FiiO E6 from a friend and it definitely solved the bass roll-off issue when using Cowon D2 + Radius DDM. Now the sub-bass sounds beautifully!
L3000.gif

Quote:
other trick is using Impedance adaptor, but i think u need to know basic electronic knowledge.
maybe some amps with bass knob (pratical devices, govibe vulcan, lisa, etc) can help to increase the bass of cowon d2.
also dont forget to play the equalizer or BBE setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back