AMP to use wiht games and dolby surround sound effects
Nov 25, 2012 at 10:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

spielero

New Head-Fier
Hello. i have Xonar DX on my pc and bought Denons ah-d2000 cans. I found out that Xonar is to weak for it. I am mostly a gamer, playing bf3 with 6-channels on and dolby headphone. If i get a Amp+Dac to it will i loose this 3d effects or what? What about an amp only? 
Thanks 
dt880smile.png

Nov 25, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
Hello. i have Xonar DX on my PC and bought Denons ah-d2000 cans. I found out that Xonar is to weak for it. I am mostly a gamer, playing bf3 with 6-channels on and Dolby Headphone. If i get a Amp+Dac to it will i loose this 3d effects or what? What about an amp only? 
Thanks 
dt880smile.png

Impedance is resistance, measured in Ohms.
You want the impedance of the headphone to be at least 8 times the impedance of the headphone jack the headphones are plugged into.

The Xonar DX headphone output jack has a high impedance (100-Ohm?) and your AH-D2000 are only 25-Ohms, that is the cause of the audio problem.
So you need to get an external headphone amplifier with a low impedance, like 3-Ohms or less.

O2 (Objective 2) portable headphone amplifier, $155, impedance is something like .5-Ohms, works fine as an ac powered desktop amp.

Fiio E11 portable headphone amplifier, low impedance, like .5-Ohms, for $61.99 you can get the E11 with a spare battery (BL-5B) and a simple battery recharger.
http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-Accessory/dp/B004QVPGXK

Nov 25, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
So E11 will not change any sounds effects channels which sound card produces? Will just better drive headphones?

Correct, sound effects will not be negatively affected and your Denon AH-D2000 will sound way better.
You might want to leave the E11 on the low voltage and low gain setting to conserve battery power.
You can also get a few extra batteries (BL-5B) off eBay, the OEM ones from China may not hold as much of a charge as rated (mA),
but the price is so cheap, they are still a good value.

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
Thanks a lot. Is there any similar quality/price amp but with ac or usb power?

If you switch to a USB connection, like the Fiio E10 (USB-DAC-Head amp.) you lose most of the features of the Xonar DX, like Dolby Headphone surround sound.
An external add-on amplifier that is AC powered and has a low impedance just cost more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back