Amp to pull the power from Monster Turbine Gold IEMS?
Apr 7, 2010 at 1:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jmp51483

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Any quick recommendations on a portable amp that I can use with my iphone to pull the power out of these MTPG's? They sound excellent coming from my Macbook but are definitely lacking coming from my 3GS.. Looking for something highly portable and in the 100 - 150 range.

I appreciate you all taking a look at this post!
L3000.gif

Apr 7, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #2 of 12
I have the MTPC's and just bought a Arrow 12HE to connect to my ipod & iphone 3g. I went with the Arrow because of the great reviews, features and quality of the amp. Also because it is very slim and portable! It's basically the same size as the iphone. It's a little out of your price range but it might be something to consider. There's a used one in the FS forum.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...w-12he-481764/

Apr 7, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #4 of 12
Fiio E7 may be right for you as well.

Jun 26, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #5 of 12
Hi guys,

Sorry to bump an old thread but I have the same question and was looking for any more options.

I mostly listen to bass heavy music (Electronic, Hip-Hop/R&B, Rock) and I'm not an audiophile, so I'm looking for an option under $100 for a pair of MTPGs.

Thanks in advance!

Jul 7, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #6 of 12
I'm also wondering what portable amp to get for my MTP Copper.  Looking to spend less than $200.  Someone said that it was very important that the amp have very low noise/hiss because the MTP's are extremely sensitive to it.

Jul 7, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
I'm also wondering what portable amp to get for my MTP Copper.  Looking to spend less than $200.  Someone said that it was very important that the amp have very low noise/hiss because the MTP's are extremely sensitive to it.

I got a recommendation not to buy an amp for my MTP Gold's because of that very issue. I'm sure they'll do just fine without one anyway.

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #8 of 12
Maybe, although I would assume that, with the right amp, the sound would improve.  I've read about the crappy quality of the Iphone and Ipod's output (even with high quality/bitrate mp3 and aac).  Cowon players are supposed to have better sound.  But it seems that if I'm going to spend around $200, I'd be better off getting a good amp/dac rather than a new dap.  What do you think?

Jul 8, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #9 of 12
The ibasso T3 has an excellent synergy with the mtpc and mtpg and it is small and portable. The slightly warm sound keeps the copper from being to bright and accents the gold's sound very nicely. For a very portable, mid-range amp in your price range, it is an excellent match.

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #10 of 12
The Fiio E11, iBasso T3d, Nuforce icon mobile, E7, Mini3 and Tomahawk.

Jul 20, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #11 of 12
Even though not w/in your budget, I extensively used the Denon C710 driven by the Portable/Desktop amp from QES Labs.
It was the only (trans)portable amp to sublimely drive the low-ohm IEMs. It can drive as low as 8Ω cans, and is full class A design.
A detailed review here.

Jul 20, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #12 of 12
Off-topic:

I've been emailing Gary for a few days now regarding his amp (PA2V2) and he's been really nice about it.
I've been advised that getting an amp for my Sennheiser HD438 would increase some of the hissing, especially if the
sound quality is terrible but I'm still thinking of getting one :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back