Amp to go with Xonar DG and DT770 pro 80
Dec 3, 2013 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

AdmiralAkmir

New Head-Fier
I tried to revive an old thread of mine in the beginner section with this question, but it didn't get any hits, I think it would be better to ask here.

I just got the DT770 80 yesterday and they sound pretty good through my Xonar DG, but I noticed that the volume has to be cranked up a lot higher, even with the highest gain setting on the sound card, seems like they could use some more power, and I've read that the Xonar DG amp isn't really powerful enough to bring these cans to their full potential.

Would it be worth it to upgrade to a dedicated AMP? I was thinking of maybe getting an O2 as an amp, and then have the DG be the DAC, does that sound like a worthy upgrade? 

Dec 3, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 6
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z (SB1500, retail box) sound card, $74.99 (Amazon).
Better DAC and more powerful head amp, then the DG.

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #3 of 6
  Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z (SB1500, retail box) sound card, $74.99 (Amazon).
Better DAC and more powerful head amp, then the DG.

Hey, thanks for the reply,

I've seen you're posts before in other threads, it seems like for PC audio you often times recommend sound cards over external units, I'm curious as to the reasoning. Is it because of the features, such as surround sound? Also how do sound cards compare to their external counterparts in the same price range? Do you get more for your money with sound cards?

Also I heard bad things about the drivers on that particular card, which kind of turns me away.

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #4 of 6

Hey, thanks for the reply,

I've seen you're posts before in other threads, it seems like for PC audio you often times recommend sound cards over external units, I'm curious as to the reasoning. Is it because of the features, such as surround sound? Also how do sound cards compare to their external counterparts in the same price range? Do you get more for your money with sound cards?

Also I heard bad things about the drivers on that particular card, which kind of turns me away.

I'm in the process of switching from an internal sound card to an external DAC/Amp and I'm will to pay $300 for it, so I'm not against externals
Right now the Sound Blaster Z (SB1500) is selling for $25-$30 less then normal, So it just a great value, which leaves more cash in a budget for headphones, plus the SB-Z's offer more FPS gaming support, then an external DAC/Amp could.
The Xonar DG can be as low as $17 (after rebate) and I think in some ways gives the $75 FiiO E10 a run for the money.
Also might be that a lot of Head-FIers like to recommend externals (and for good reasons), so I guess I feel I need to support the underdog (sound cards).

Every sound card has driver issues (negative feedback), I've personally have had better luck with Asus Xonar cards, over the older Creative Titanium cards, but I've heard newer Creative stuff has improved.

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #5 of 6
I've gone through quite a few threads across several forums and I've seen a lot of Fiio recommendations, but there's this one guy over on overclockers who had some pretty definitive ideas about what pairs well with the DT770's

The E07K is not good for the beyers, the DT770 needs more resourcefull power, I mean, more controlled and refined power, if not, the bass misscontrols a lot.

And when asked if the Xonar STX would be a good choice

No, the STX has a brilliant DAC, but the amp is not enough, its a good point to start though and I wont sound as uncontrolled as with the E07K, until you can afford the O2 and connect it via RCA ouputs (red/white).

This is where my desire for a good external AMP comes from, it seems like he doesn't believe in sound card amps too much, even the STX which is nearly $200. 

Dec 4, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #6 of 6
  I've gone through quite a few threads across several forums and I've seen a lot of Fiio recommendations, but there's this one guy over on overclockers who had some pretty definitive ideas about what pairs well with the DT770's
And when asked if the Xonar STX would be a good choice
This is where my desire for a good external AMP comes from, it seems like he doesn't believe in sound card amps too much, even the STX which is nearly $200. 

I would rather use an O2 headphone amplifier, over any headphone amplifier built into any current sound card.
But you have to also get a DAC to match your needs, A DAC with S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) inputs allow you to still take advantage of sound card features, but a USB external DAC, which bypass sound cards (add their features) is usually cheaper.
Or use the O2 with a sound card that does not come with a built in headphone amplifier (like an Xonar DX or D1).
I've recommend an O2 with a DX/D1 (used $60) sound card several times.
The DX/D1 uses the same audio processor as the Essence STX/ST.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back