Amp to drive speakers
Oct 5, 2010 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Speedmax

New Head-Fier
Hi, that's my first post. I found this forum by looking around for a headset.
I found the DIY section pretty interesting. I would like to build a amplifier for speaker.

I'm newby but I have some skill in electronic. Is there a amplifier you can recommend to me.
I found the ''Bijou'' and the EHHA, they look pretty cool but can they drive speaker?

Thanks for your help,

Max

ps... sorry for my English, my first language it's French.

Oct 6, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #2 of 21
The only "Headphone Amp" I know of that can drive speakers is the "Beta 22".
The "Bijou" is not suitable for use with speakers.
The "EHHA" could probably drive efficient speakers.
There may be others but I am not familiar enough with them to comment.

Oh yes, welcome to Head-fi and sorry about your wallet....

Oct 6, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #3 of 21
Beta24 is about the only one you'll find info about on HF.
Here is the home page:

http://www.amb.org/audio/beta24/

Pass's F5 (or others):

http://passdiy.com/

and more info in the Pass section of diya:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/

There are a plethora of both solid state and tube amps you could build.
I'd read around on diya before committing.
Your final choice will depend on both you capability to diy + what sort of speakers you wanna drive.

Oct 6, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #6 of 21
What are your speakers? You'll need to know the impedance and senitivity.

Do you want solid state or tubes?

Are you looking for a kit, a PCB, or simply instructions?

Depending on the design, you might also need a pre-amplifier (some power amps do not have volume control).

I would recommend checking diyaudio.com, speaker amps are not often discussed here AFAIK.

Oct 6, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #7 of 21
Good suggestions so far.

Another route you could take would be to build a headphone amp that doubles as a preamp, then build a separate power amp for your speakers.

Oct 6, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #8 of 21
First, thanks to all of you for your answer.

Ok... it will be my first project of this kind I do not want something to complicated.
I heard that tube amp have a more "warm" sound. And it look cool to.

The real thing I would like to do with this amplifier is boost my MP3 player sound before connecting to my audio receiver.
I think it will be an easier project than a speaker amp. To start...

My set up...

Sansa Fuze V2
Onkyo TX-SR605
Boston Acoustic VR2 speaker

I will prefert a Kit or pcb. 

Thanks again for your help,

Max

Oct 6, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #9 of 21
*Ignore this, read the next post*

Boston Acoustic VR2 speakers
Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
Sensitivity (1 watt (2.83v) at 1m): 93dB

All right, these look good for tube amps. However, I forgot to ask about your budget. How much are you willing to pay?

And are you able to make (read drill and punch holes into) the chassis?

In any case, I had already spotted the following kits that interested me at one time or another:

The Podwatt by Oddwatt Audio. It's not out yet, but it is an integrated amp (meaning you don't need an amplifier). They also sell monoblocks (need 2 + a pre-amp).
The Stereomour by Bottlehead. Another integrated amp, but it probably won't be strong enough for your speakers.
The Cymbal monoblocks by Hagerman Tech. I own two of his products and love them. You'll need a pre-amp.
One of Transcendent Sound OTL or their Cathode Follower. I plan to build one of these someday. Need a pre-amp
The Engineer's Amplifier by Millett (famous for his headphone amps). He sells PCB, and you'll need a pre-amp.
The clone of a classic, the Dynaco ST-70. Again, you'll need a pre-amp (or the stepped attenuator modification offered).

Oct 6, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #10 of 21
Forget eveything I just said.

Quote:
boost my MP3 player sound before connecting to my audio receiver

You do realize your receiver IS an amplifier? You might want to look at something like this instead: http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-9211-SNSADK-PowerDock-for-Sansa/dp/B000J1E2JU

Oct 6, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #11 of 21
I know that is an amplifier... it just not playing loud as I want.
I do not think this dock will amplified the sound of my Sansa? It will...?

Thanks for all the information on your previous post... This is pretty interesting. That a projet I want to do one day.

Regards, Max

Oct 6, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #12 of 21
Your receiver is 90W/channel: it should be lood enough for everything... unless you plug your Sansa via the headphone out. Get a dock, it will send a line-level signal.

Oct 6, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
Your receiver is 90W/channel: it should be lood enough for everything... unless you plug your Sansa via the headphone out. Get a dock, it will send a line-level signal.

Ok, you know what, I have two of these dock. But... I dont know why, it seem they dont work's with Rockbox.
I recently install Rockbox. 

I will remove it and give a try. 

By the way, the amplifier you list in the post related to the speaker look nice.

Thanks,

Max

Users who are viewing this thread

Back