Amp that I can find used for under $250 that will sound good with my HD600
Jan 26, 2012 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

idruke

100+ Head-Fier
I have a audioengine d1 DAC and HD600s. I am on a budget and need an amp. Suggestions?

EDIT: I was thinking maybe schiit asgard. Thoughts?

Thanks

,Ian

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #2 of 14

Quote:
I have a audioengine d1 DAC and HD600s. I am on a budget and need an amp. Suggestions?

Thanks

,Ian

Not sure if you've heard of the O2 Reference amp but it seems to be getting a lot of attention and is a steal of a deal considering its power, transparency and true to the source neutrality. So if you feed your audioengine DAC into it it will give you the sound of that DAC without coloration added to the chain. For $150.00 pre-built or $100.00 DIY its a steal of a deal IMO. I should be receiving this amp this week and it will be replacing my Fiio E9 desktop amp. Good luck.

http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=O2Full

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #3 of 14
The Objective2 is a better deal than the Asgard, and I can never, ever buy a product from Schitt because if I do my friends will make some stupid joke about the company's name.

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #5 of 14
OP...I have the same setup as you - the D1 & HD-600's.  Ordered the O2 a few days ago and it's on it's way.  I'll post back here with my impressions after I get some time to play with it.

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #6 of 14
Yes.  I have this combo and it works very well.  It's not as holographic as a good tube amp, but the Asgard effortlessly drives the HD600s.  Good bass response.  Good air.

Quote:

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 14
The one from JD labs seems to be the portable battery powered one. I know you can add the ac power adapter, but I wanted the desktop version. The differences are listed here.

1. Built-in 1/4" headphone jack (in addition to a 3.5mm jack)
  2. RCA input jacks (in addition to a 3.5mm jack)
  3. Most of the connections on the back for more tidy desktop use
  4. Higher input voltage range to handle even “very hot” sources at higher gains
  5. A more flexible gain structure allowing better gain matching
  6. A headphone protection relay preventing turn/off transients and offering DC protection

Do you know anywhere I could buy one like this?

Thanks, Ian.

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #10 of 14
Note that they are the same basic design: the desktop version is not going to offer a change in sound unless NwAvGuy decides to incorporate crossfeed/bass boost or something of that sort as an additional feature.

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
Any announced date or pre-order?

Well, first the design needs to be released by NwAvGuy. Check his blog for any information on the progress. Pre-built versions will be available later.

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #13 of 14
i do like the asgard, especially for the HD600/650

Users who are viewing this thread

Back