Amp that can match HD600 and CD3000?
Apr 12, 2004 at 2:03 AM Post #16 of 36
Thanks for the input guys, looks like ppl are pointing towards the OTL, btw, how many different MG Head models are there? Is the tube decent enough or will I have to change the tube in the near future?

Apr 12, 2004 at 2:43 AM Post #17 of 36
If you're going the tube route, the Singlepower PPX-3 just fits your budget. I consider that amp to be one of the great bargains in headphone audio right now.

Apr 12, 2004 at 4:33 AM Post #18 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
If you're going the tube route, the Singlepower PPX-3 just fits your budget. I consider that amp to be one of the great bargains in headphone audio right now.

I strongly second Tom Hankins and Hirsch on this. Nothing in the price range equals it, imo.

JC

Apr 12, 2004 at 4:46 AM Post #19 of 36
Perreaux SXH-1 and PPA, the first two that crossed my mind now at that price (more or less)

Apr 12, 2004 at 6:30 AM Post #20 of 36
I must say that the SinglePower PPX-3 seems like a great amp from what I've read about it here. It's one I'd love to hear sometime and I do like the looks of it, too
wink.gif
Perhaps Santa...
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2004 at 12:55 PM Post #21 of 36
How would you guys rank this 3 amps - SinglePower PPX-3, Perreaux SXH-1 and PPA? I know that the PPX-3 is meant to be a portable amp but does it come close to the PPA?

*Edited for typo

Apr 12, 2004 at 6:00 PM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by xcalibur
How would you guys rank this 3 amps - SinglePower PPX-3, Perreaux SXH-1 and PPA? I know that the PPX-3 is meant to be a portable amp but does it come close to the PPA?

*Edited for typo

The PPX-3 is far from being a portable amp. It's a tube amp that runs off the wall.(not very small either)
I've heard the Perreaux and the PPA, both are good amps. I havn't heard the PPX-3, but having heard other Singlepower amps and trusting the good reviews of sacd lover and Hirsch (and the sound quality of all of Mikhail's amps) would buy it over either the PPA or the Perreaux.....even without hearing it first.

Apr 12, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by tom hankins
The PPX-3 is far from being a portable amp. It's a tube amp that runs off the wall.(not very small either)
I've heard the Perreaux and the PPA, both are good amps. I havn't heard the PPX-3, but having heard other Singlepower amps and trusting the good reviews of sacd lover and Hirsch (and the sound quality of all of Mikhail's amps) would buy it over either the PPA or the Perreaux.....even without hearing it first.

I wouldn't be so sure, until I heard the PPX-3 first. I have trusted Hirsch sometimes with good results though, but always have in mind that Hirsch love tube amps, and tube sound, and this is not a general preference here, a lot of members like the SS sound. BTW he also has a huge amount of good tubes, a whole warehouse...LOL...we do not....and a good pair of tubes will cost you a good amount of money over the price of the amp itself....

OTOH the Perreaux and PPA are extremely good matches for the CD3000 (I don't know for HD600) IMO both match made in heaven, I doubt any other amp, will outperform them for a huge margin, to go for them that blindly, sorry, and get involved in the hassle of good tubes hunting just if that difference if is not that big at the end....just my two cents

Don't misunderstood me, I have not heard the Supra amps, and is posible that they are that good, but I would prefer in that particular case, to hear them first, and not getting them just because hirsch or any other trusty fellow member like it, we have our own preferences also...

Apr 12, 2004 at 8:36 PM Post #24 of 36
The 6cg7 tubes the ppx3 uses are not hard to find and not very expensive. The ppx3 is an excellent match with the senns and grados. The ppx3 is a GREAT sounding amp with the senn 650's. But it can be picky what you pair it with. I didnt like the dt 880's or my jvc's with the ppx3. The ppx3's generally forgiving treble seemed to spotlight sibilance with these headphones rather than reduce the problem; something I cant tolerate.

Therefore, I dont know if the ppx3/ cd 3000 would be a good match for several reasons. First, the cd 3000 and the ppx3 both have a very warm bass register and both lack a little bass control or tightness. That may be to much of a good thing if you pair them together. Secondly while the ppx3's gentle treble could potentially tame some of the cd 3000's brightness(didnt work with the beyer dt 880/ jvc ha-d990) the cd 3000's drop off pretty fast above 10khz; so the end result may still be to bright in the mid treble and sound to dull in the upper treble. Lastly, the ppx3 has some midrange forwardness that may not mesh very well with the cd 3000's somewhat forward upper midrange. So, I am skeptical the cd3000's would work well with the ppx3 until I heard otherwise. On their own both the ppx3 and cd 3000 are awesome products. But I think pairing them together may bring out the worst in both.

Apr 12, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
I wouldn't be so sure, until I heard the PPX-3 first. I have trusted Hirsch sometimes with good results though, but always have in mind that Hirsch love tube amps, and tube sound, and this is not a general preference here, a lot of members like the SS sound. BTW he also has a huge amount of good tubes, a whole warehouse...LOL...we do not....and a good pair of tubes will cost you a good amount of money over the price of the amp itself....

OTOH the Perreaux and PPA are extremely good matches for the CD3000 (I don't know for HD600) IMO both match made in heaven, I doubt any other amp, will outperform them for a huge margin, to go for them that blindly, sorry, and get involved in the hassle of good tubes hunting just if that difference if is not that big at the end....just my two cents

Don't misunderstood me, I have not heard the Supra amps, and is posible that they are that good, but I would prefer in that particular case, to hear them first, and not getting them just because hirsch or any other trusty fellow member like it, we have our own preferences also...

You seem to have forgot that I have heard the PPA and the perreaux with both the CD3000 and the HD650. Neither amp (although good) where anything really special. The perreaux is a good amp when you consider the price. The PPA was maxed out version built by one of the head-fi members. I think the ASL OTL32 with either the HD600 or the CD3000 is better than either of them.
I would buy the PPX-3 (unheard) over it also. I can't think of any other 500.00 dollar amp I would buy (maybe the little Moth when more reviews come in) over the PPX-3. The thread is asking what peoples opinions are for amps in the 500.00 dollar range that will work equally well with the HD600 or CD3000. He can PM Hirsch or sacd lover and get opinions from people that own several different amps, and own both the senns, and the CD3000. I think Earl may have sold his CD3000 off by now though.
BTW, tubes for the PPX-3 are very affordable and easy to find. Mikhail will include the RCA cleartops with the amp if you want.

Apr 12, 2004 at 8:53 PM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Whoops, sorry about that, got mixed up with the XP-7 and the PPX-3 for a while there!
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, who do i contact for enquiries about the PPX-3? Thanks!

Apr 12, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by tom hankins
You seem to have forgot that I have heard the PPA and the perreaux with both the CD3000 and the HD650. Neither amp (although good) where anything really special. The perreaux is a good amp when you consider the price. The PPA was maxed out version built by one of the head-fi members. I think the ASL OTL32 with either the HD600 or the CD3000 is better than either of them.
I would buy the PPX-3 (unheard) over it also. I can't think of any other 500.00 dollar amp I would buy (maybe the little Moth when more reviews come in) over the PPX-3. The thread is asking what peoples opinions are for amps in the 500.00 dollar range that will work equally well with the HD600 or CD3000. He can PM Hirsch or sacd lover and get opinions from people that own several different amps, and own both the senns, and the CD3000. I think Earl may have sold his CD3000 off by now though.
BTW, tubes for the PPX-3 are very affordable and easy to find. Mikhail will include the RCA cleartops with the amp if you want.

I have not forgotten that, just that I took that "in your opinion" as from anybody else....remember that others will swear on them, all is about preferences, for example, I will not jump in a tube wagon never again, and IMO I have not heard the Supra, so I will not comment on that, but the Perreaux and PPA both are incredible (at any price point) with the CD3K, and both to me are something really special....sorry to disagree.
But if the tubes of the PPX are that cheap, and the ones included with the amp are good also, this is another point in its favor....
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Apr 12, 2004 at 10:40 PM Post #28 of 36
If i was the one in your shoes- id probably buy the PPX3.
ill try to buy one used to save money . then use the saved money to get some NOS tubes.

Apr 12, 2004 at 11:18 PM Post #29 of 36
If your budget were higher the amp for both the 600/650 and cd 3000 is the singlepower mpx3, IMO. I would still get the ppx3 from the choices in the $500 range unless I exclusively wanted to use the cd 3000 only. Then I would figure out a way to audition that pairing to see if they were compatible before I would buy them. The ppx3 and cd 3000 may sound wonderful together but I can see where they may clash. Finding a used mpx3 in the $500-550 price range would be an excellent option if you can track one down.

Apr 12, 2004 at 11:34 PM Post #30 of 36
Where can you buy a singlepower ppx3? I can't find the website anywhere
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back