Amp Synergy with the GS1000
Jun 1, 2006 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

iamdone

Headphoneus Supremus
Well I finally got my Headamp GS-1. I only heard it for a few moments and then had to go back to work. I am truely satisfied.

Basically with the RA-1 and GS-1000, you can hear the limits of the amp. Everything sounds good, maybe a little too warm but not really an issue. With the GS-1, the first thing I noticed was the drums. They now have amazing speed and impact. It sounds like there was some sort of bass hump removed so they are less warm but the bass goes much deeper. The highs were smoother and the instruments seemed to have an edge to them. They seemed more natural.

It seems like the RA-1 was made to bring out the best of the RS-1; giving them more bass and taking a slight edge off the instruments because of their aggressive mids. While this still works for the GS1000, it's not a perfect match. The GS100 doesn't need any additional bass than they already have. And since you now have a little distance the amp can be more aggressive.

I only got the listen to "Heart of the Sunrise" from "Yes" off the "Fragile album". This is one of my favorite songs and starts right off with drums. I think it was one of the few song I actually liked better on the RS-1 until I got the GS-1. Now would I still like it better on the RS-1 pairing it with the GS-1, I don't know but I can tell you that this song sounds amazing on the GS1000 and GS-1.

Anyway, I'm keeping the GS1000 and already sold the RS-1. I can see how if someone has an amp that matched perfectly with the RS-1, it might not be the best for the GS1000.

I'm interested to hear what other combos work and what doesn't. I'll post about my combo later when I can spead more time with it.

Jun 1, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 7
Hopefully, my Supra SLAM will be a great match with the GS1000s. Mikhail has both my headphones and amp and will be tuning the amp for the headphones. That is the great thing about Singlepower. Mikhail can tune your amp to your desired sound, headphones, or both.

Jun 1, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
It seems like the RA-1 was made to bring out the best of the RS-1; giving them more bass and taking a slight edge off the instruments because of their aggressive mids.

Awfully poetic
confused.gif
I thought the RA-1 was a glorified cmoy

Jun 1, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
Awfully poetic
confused.gif

That's probably true but somehow is it synergizes great with the RS-1 and actually doesn't sound to bad with the GS1000. It's amazing what you can do with cheap parts.

Jun 1, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 7
this has been debated again and again. regardless of the cost of the parts, the RA-1 is said again and again to have fantastic synergy with the RS-1. It may not be an EAR Yoshino HP4, but at it's price ($250ish used) it is purportedly a fantastic mate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
Awfully poetic
confused.gif

Jun 1, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for the impressions. I guess I gotta start saving. That is the amp I was imagining would work well.

The RA-1 has synergy with the GS-1000 too, but it does sound limited in power. The GS-1000's definately need more than the RS-1's.

Good thread. This is what I've been waiting for

Users who are viewing this thread

Back