Amp Suggestions for HiFiMAN HE-6...
Feb 26, 2014 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

umieranie

New Head-Fier
So here's a little plan that I've concocted...

I'm very interested in the Hifiman HE-6. Cheap they are not, but worth every penny from what I can gather. The question, however, is how to amp them.

Now, on one hand, I can always invest in a nice, high-end headphone amp for these bad boys. But I had another idea. I discovered that HifiMAN sells a neat little product in the HE-Adapter, which would allow me to run speaker outputs from a conventional amp to the HE-Adapter, and in turn use the amp's speaker outputs to power the HE-6.

The HE-6 is quite power hungry. But it just so happens that I own a Pioneer Elite VSX-94THX, which outputs 140W per channel into 7 channels @ 8 ohms (and sounds quite fantastic, to boot). My question to those who might be a little more in the know is this; is my home theater receiver's speaker output way too much for the HE-6 to handle (with the HE-Adapter) or would I be okay? I have yet to come across any documentation stating a power limit for the Adapter/HE-6 combo. Any thoughts?

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #3 of 9
Go for it.

You're not going to damage anything unless maybe you turn the volume to max.

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #4 of 9
If I were to buy HE-6, I'd seriously consider the cayin 265.. Seems very appealing and is reported to sound good.
But that's just me.

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #5 of 9
Thank you all for the feedback. I figured I would be okay, but I wanted to make sure. In the short term, just using the receiver makes the most financial sense, since I'm already running the optical output of my computer to the receiver's DAC. It saves me the trouble (and money) of trying to find a DAC/amp combo for the HE-6 right off the bat. I'll probably eventually invest in a nice DAC, but for now I think this solution will work perfectly.

Apr 20, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #8 of 9
I have an HE-6 on order which will arrive early this week.  I'm going to use my NAD Stereo Integrated Amp (C375 BEE DAC) with continuous power at 150 amps/channel and expect great things.  Already have used it on my Senn HD800s and they sound terrific. Also have a couple of Yamaha R-S700s and the HD 800 sings on those also.

Apr 20, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #9 of 9
I have a HE-6 running on a Headroom Ultra Desktop Amp.. I've been through a lot of amps because my HD800 is really picky, and I can honestly say that the Headroom Ultra is the best out there for the price...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back