Amp Suggestions For Around $300 to $500?
Apr 20, 2008 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ABXG

Head-Fier
Hello, recently I decided if I am going to redo my audio system I may as well do it right (meaning spend some big money for quality components I wont be tempted to replace in a while). So after doing some research I have concluded that I will do the following:

1. Buy an ASUS Xonar D2X soundcard (I run my audio through my PC and I want the EAX features offered by this card for gaming) (I will possibly take the time to mod this card in the future if I need to, as in better OPAMP's and EMI shielding on the back of the card, that kind of stuff)
2. Buy a customized set of Beyerdynamics DT 990 headphones (I am unsure if I should get the 250ohm or 600ohm version, suggestions?)

3. Because of the headphones I want I need an amp, and I want to invest the money on a amp to get proper sound from my system. After looking around I came across the Gilmore Lite Amp at HeadAmp.com (which seems to be a popular choice in my price range).

Now, what I was really wondering is this:

1. What are the best headphone amps in the $300-$500 range (I would prefer if you only listed products that can be purchased direct from the manufacturer, or from a trustable site; as in not something like eBay). The sound characteristics of each amp would be appreciated. Also, I do not want an DAC or anything like that; please only list amps (as I do not believe bit depth or sampling rate matters when using just an amp?)

2. Given my above stipulations, would it be worth it to spend the the extra money on the Gilmore Lite with dedicated power source (putting the order at around $600). I want to mention that I will be running the whole system off an APC UPS which uses a real sine-wave and has line conditioning features.

3. If I do spend the extra money on the Gilmore Lite with dedicated power supply, are there any other amps-only for under $600 that I should be looking into?

4. Not really related to the amp directly, but I am going to bet I will need to use a 3.5mm to RCA cable to use most of the amps that will be suggested. My question about this is that if I pick up a cable that does 3.5mm to RCA would I still get proper L/R audio? What cables would be best with my system? I was thinking about going down to my local Futureshop and seeing what they had for cables there, but links to some quality cables would be appreciated.

P.S. I listen to a wide variety of music, but most prevalent is rock and pop (most of my pop is from Seal, my rock is much more varied; by both artist and style). I also listen to some classical and modern instrumental music as well as some "folkish" music from the Irish Rovers.

Thank you for your time.

Apr 20, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 9
You really should consider used amps, as well. There are trustworthy sellers here, your dollar will go a lot further, and it helps out another Head-Fi'er when you buy. You might also want to consider having an amp custom built. Some good ones in your price range are the Beta22, the Bijou and the M^3. There are others, but I think these are pretty good.

The Gilmore Lite is a good amp, but another solid state amp worth considering is the Eddie Current EC SS. The price is fair and it gives terrific performance.

As for the DAC/soundcard issue, the reason you want an external DAC is to cut back on the amount of noise picked up by your soundcard. Switching power supplies, hard drive motors, etc. etc. throw off tons of noise inside a computer case. You'll hear it, and shielding is a hit-or-miss prospect. The simplest solution is always the best, and that's to move your source outside the computer.

I don't know much about the DT990, but you'll want to get the pair with an impedance close to the amp you'll be using. Impedance isn't everything - you also have to figure in the output impedance of the amplifier, the amplifier's power output, and the sensitivity of the headphones. The figure for impedance is NOT a one-number-tell-all for the headphones. That would be like trying to figure out your car's mileage by only knowing the horsepower. There's a relationship, for sure, but not enough information to figure it out.

As for cables, my advice is to start off with the least expensive. There's a lot of argument about whether aftermarket cables provide any benefit at all. This isn't the place to get into that, but don't spend a lot of money on cables until you've convinced yourself they make a difference.

Apr 20, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #3 of 9
If I did get an external DAC, it would still have to run from my sound card as I need the internal sound card for EAX gaming, would an external DAC still make a difference? Also, the ASUS Xonar D2X already comes with shielding across the front, I would just be adding to the back. I'd be willing to get an external AMP/DAC, but only if it can do up to 24bit/196KHz to match my sound card.

Also, what are the relevant number for determining what ohm value I should be looking for; and how should I go about using those numbers to determine what ohm value I should get on the headphones? I am still a bit confused about this all.

Also, I don't feel like building my own amp, so thanks for the suggestions but building my own amp is something I am not quite ready to do (Same goes for changing the actual hardware on my sound card, that is a fair ways down the road, I think I can add the EMI shielding though as that should just be using an insulator and the shielding itself on the relevant components).

I'd still appreciate more amp (and possibly DAC's that meat my specifications) suggestions as well as actual comparisons to the quality of said components; reviews would be grat if anyone has any links.

Apr 20, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by m3_arun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is Beta-22 really in $300-500 price range?

Not really unless you have a builder who is going to build a 2 channel B22 basically for around parts cost (or maybe even less depending on what parts are used and what the cost to you is).

Apr 21, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not really unless you build it yourself

Fixed lol.
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fixed lol.
biggrin.gif

That also works
wink.gif

Apr 21, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #8 of 9
If I where to get the Zero 24bit/196KHz Amp/DAC, would that be a good choice? Or would that not really let the headphones I want shine at their full potential (I have no intention of cranking the volume, I want a comfortable listening level).

Do I really need an external DAC if I wont be blasting my music?
Can someone just recommend, or point the direction of the components I need?

EDIT: Does anyone know if the Gilmore Lite can correctly drive a pair of 600ohm headphones? What about 250ohm? I know it was posted above about the ohm value not being the end-all-be-all, but I am still requesting advisement as I don't really know what to do here...

Apr 21, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #9 of 9
I would still appreciate answers to my above questions, but I have a few more to add as well.

Would a Firestone Spitfire 24bit DAC pair up good with a HeadAmp Gilmore Lite (or the ECSS amp)?

What about using a Zero 24bit DAC as a pre-amp for the Gilmore Lite (or that ECSS amp)?

Are there any other DAC/Amp combo's for a decent price? I have been looking around but this isn't the easiest information to come across.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back