amp suggestions for AKG K501?
Oct 26, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #31 of 38
lots of suggestions i see heh

thanks to all for feedback - im still trying to decide between the gilmore lite and the headfive though

the headfive is cheaper and as crossfeed but suppoedly colors the sound a tad? but brings warmth to the K501s which might not be so bad

while the gilmore is seemingly more neutral and analytical/detailed which is kind of what i think im going for (letting the phones speak for themselves) though it lacks crossfeed which I've never even tried though from listening to the K501s i do see how, especially with older recordings, how it is sort of left-right

suggestions?

Oct 26, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #32 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by kukrisna
lots of suggestions i see heh

thanks to all for feedback - im still trying to decide between the gilmore lite and the headfive though

the headfive is cheaper and as crossfeed but suppoedly colors the sound a tad? but brings warmth to the K501s which might not be so bad

while the gilmore is seemingly more neutral and analytical/detailed which is kind of what i think im going for (letting the phones speak for themselves) though it lacks crossfeed which I've never even tried though from listening to the K501s i do see how, especially with older recordings, how it is sort of left-right

suggestions?

there are a lot of head-fiers in NYC...attend a mini-meet and hear for yourself. or meet up with a fellow head-fier to listen to one or both of these amps...

Oct 26, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #33 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
there are a lot of head-fiers in NYC...attend a mini-meet and hear for yourself. or meet up with a fellow head-fier to listen to one or both of these amps...

Yea come to the official nyc nov 4 meet @ babylon! Ill be there with the little dot II+, and probably all of the amps you want are there too so you can audition!
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #34 of 38
I'd like to throw my 2 cents in.

I'm using a Mister-X made Pimeta (non portable) and really love the sound. Vocals are phenomenal as well as the soundstage.

I got them at approximatley the same time, so it is a little hard to tell if it is the amp or the phones that are contributing most to this synergy.

If your budget is a little on the tight side, this is certainly a way to go.

Cheers,

Jason

Oct 26, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #35 of 38
I wish I could get to a meet but I'm stuck in Amherst, MA right now in college, and I don't know how to drive heh.

Oct 28, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #37 of 38
I'm listening to Bantock's Pagan Symphony (Hyperion CDA66630) using a Presonus HP4 (four amps/$100) with my K501s. It has a wide soundstage, instruments are clearly placed in space, bass is deep, powerful and well controlled, percussion is startling with well controlled transients and tutti fortissimos are just that. This amp comfortably contains large and complex classical music and never, never runs out of steam. I love this amp but since I have nothing to compare it to I'm not so sure I should. It's like being madly in love with the only woman I've ever known. I think I should try the G-lite but wonder why since my little $100 amp brings me so much musical bliss.

Oct 28, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #38 of 38
actually, i posted this in another thread too, that HEED CanAmp looks mighty tempting now, seeing as how it's just $40 more than the gilmore lite - both are class A - im guessing the HEED sounds better? though it is just FOTM currently...i wonder how they compare...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back