Amp Suggestion for HD600
Nov 28, 2007 at 4:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

sburgoon

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

So I've decided to take the plunge and get a decent amp for my HD600's (I've been using a CMOY I made with pretty questionable components up until now). My setup is a computer as source using an X-Fi MusicXtreme (I could swap it for an emu 0404 internal if that would be noticeably better) going into whatever amp I buy, going into the HD600s. My budget is around $400. I want to keep it under if possible, but if $500-600 gets me a WAY better setup, I wouldn't necessarily balk at it. Anyway, here's what I've been looking at...

Headamp Gilmore-Lite
PreSonus Central Station
HeadRoom Micro Amp
Heed CanAmp

So... did I miss anything? What are everyone's thoughts given those setups? I'm drawn to the PreSonus because of the included DAC, but if it's not a huge upgrade over the X-Fi or 0404 then it might be better to focus on a straight amp. Any extra info would be much appreciated.

-Sean

Nov 28, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #2 of 15
Maybe the external version of the 0404 would be a better idea, or an offboard dac using the X-fi's optical out, paired with a Gilmore Lite.

Nov 28, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #3 of 15
Thanks for the replies so far
smily_headphones1.gif
It's funny, back when I first started looking in these forums the internal 0404 seemed to be well regarded as a source for it's analog outputs... guess not so much anymore
wink.gif

The reason I want to part with my cmoy isn't necessarily because its a cmoy, but because it's poorly made. First thing I ever soldered after all. No volume control and no AC power (9 volt batteries are expensive), and thanks to the no volume I nearly lost my hearing when Windows decided to reset my volume from 15 to 100 mid-song because I accidentally turned on "Headphone" mode.

Anyway, sounds like of what I listed, the Gilmore Lite is the best bet, but might need to be paired with a DAC. One other option I forgot to mention was the Corda Cantate, it's more expensive, but if I'm going to buy a Gilmore and an external 0404 (how does that rank among reasonably priced external dacs?) it's the same price as the Cantate. Anyway, thanks again, if I'm going to drop a few hundred dollars I want to make sure I get something worth the money.

-Sean

Nov 28, 2007 at 7:50 AM Post #4 of 15
The Gilmore Lite/Dynalo is a good choice with the Sennheiser 580/600/650 line. The first amp I built was a Dynalo, and I've had a lot of happy hours with it and a HD-650. I've also driven a 580 with it to good effect. Haven't heard the 600, but it's similar enough to the other two to assume it does well.

I'd also take a good look at the PreSonus Central Station. I've got one of those, as well. The Dynalo is a tiny smoother and cleaner in my opinion, but the headphone amp section is excellent, as is the DAC. There were a few long threads about it here; search and read those.

I haven't heard the other equipment you mentioned, but I do think you'd be happy with a Gilmore Lite or a Central Station.

Nov 28, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #5 of 15
One of the fun things is that HD600 scales well with balancing, and I believe E-MU 0404 has balanced outputs.

I personally use the higher end E-MU 1616 (spring for that if you can, its not that much more expensive). It has a barrage of stuff including smooth-sounding balanced outputs, and a decent integrated headphone amp. Pair with a head-phone amp (SE or even balanced) of your choice, fun time =]

Nov 28, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 15
Look for a second hand SinglePower PPX3, or better yet the PPX3 SLAM version. It doesn't get any better than that, in your price range, for the Senn 580/600/650. You should be able to get a used one for the $500. - $600. price range.

- augustwest

Nov 29, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #8 of 15
You may also want to consider RSA's new Predator for a dac/amp combo. You can read impressions in the meet impressions thread.

Nov 29, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by chouman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may also want to consider RSA's new Predator for a dac/amp combo. You can read impressions in the meet impressions thread.

And definitely not HeadAmp's Pico?

Nov 29, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #10 of 15
No, of course also consider the Pico. I'm only suggesting the Ray Samuels product because A) I own the RSA SR-71 and like it a lot and B) I've only heard the Predator and not the Pico. Plus, Ray often tunes his amps to match the HD600 since they are often what he shows off his amps with.

BUT, yes, definitely do consider the Headamp Pico. Afterall, I am number 8 on the preorder list.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #11 of 15
Hah...you will be on for a fun time. HeadAmp stuff is very energetic, something I feel Sennheisers kinda lack on their own.

Nov 30, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #14 of 15
I own a Gilmore Lite with my HD650s and I think they work great together. I've also tried them with a PPX and I like what I heard but I didn't have a long listening period with it... But if you can find either used in the BuySell forums that would be a good choice.

Dec 1, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #15 of 15
Of the amps in this range that I have tried with the HD600's, I like the gilmore lite/dps combo and the musical fidelity x-can v3. I think both synergize very well with the HD580/600 and do a good job bringing out the strengths of this great can.

I agree with what others have said though, that since you have a can that will scale very well with better gear, a source upgrade or source/amp upgrade will likely yield more gain than an amp alone. I haven't heard the PreSonus, but something like it or even a zhaolu with a the discrete headamp will get you a better source and amp together and still alow room in the future to upgrade as you desire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back