[AMP REPAIR] Mini3 sounds like a blown speaker - HELP!
Feb 26, 2010 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

mikeloxlong

New Head-Fier
So I bought a Mini3 from a head-fi member who was close to my location. Everything worked great with the thing using my old JVC HA RX900 and an old pair of Sony Noise canceling headphones. The Mini3 actually made the Sony sound better but I digress.

I recently acquired a DT770/250 from another headfi member and plugged it into the amp. Sounded great compared to just laptop on-board sound. Powerful and palpable bass and with some EQing, it's really all that I would want for an office rig.

Now, I did a few things as suggested:

- changed cables from source to amp
- took battery out and used AC power
- unplugged AC power and ran off of batteries
- used different source

none of those worked as the amp still sounds like it's a blown speaker.

One of the more interesting things that happened to the amp yesterday was that it got warm. Warmer that it has ever gotten and I can only make the connection back to the DT770/250.

I have the volume set on the laptop at about 75% and I let the Mini3 do the attenuation and volume control to my liking. That's how I did it with the JVCs, those Sonys and now the Beyers.

Has anyone else have this happen to them? What's my next step? I'm a complete noob so doing a self fix is sort of out of my league. With a busy work schedule, some night and weekend classes and a family, it's kind of hard to put even more time into the problem. Is it worth it to repair the thing? Who can repair it?

thanks to all who can and try to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back