Amp Recommendations for HD650 and Grado RS1i ~ Budget $500
Dec 17, 2012 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

VitaX

New Head-Fier
I need some amp recommendations for the following two headphones since I'm quite new to all this:

Grado RS1i

Sennheiser HD650

Budget is $500 per amp

The sound card I have in my computer is an HT Omega Claro

Musical Taste: Alice in Chains, Buckethead, Chevelle, Led Zeppelin, Mother Love Bone, Mudhoney, Neil Young, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, The Offspring, Pearl Jam, Pink Floyd, Rage Against The Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Screaming Trees, The Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Tool, etc... Mainly rock music with some metal thrown in here and there.

On a side note, I've heard the Schiit Lyr goes quite well when partnered with the HD650s. Haven't heard too much about what fairs well with RS1is besides the Mad Ear + HD. But that might be out of my price range at the moment.

*I have not bought these two headphones just yet. I'm still in the process of debating which one I want. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to get some recommendations for amps for both of them and make my decision after I hear a few.

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #2 of 8
I decided on the project sunrise ii amp. Around 200 bucks and supposedly works well with the Grado rs1 hd650 and hifiman he-500, all of which I have. I read all I could for two weeks and was about to pull the trigger on a used schiit lyr but I'm glad I didn't. When the ps ii gets here later this week I will do quick reviews of all combos

Also I grabbed a vintage bugle boy 12au7 tube for the ps ii amp which Is one of the best tubes I read

All in all, it's somewhere to start! :) plus I have similar taste in music to you.

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
I decided on the project sunrise ii amp. Around 200 bucks and supposedly works well with the Grado rs1 hd650 and hifiman he-500, all of which I have. I read all I could for two weeks and was about to pull the trigger on a used schiit lyr but I'm glad I didn't. When the ps ii gets here later this week I will do quick reviews of all combos
Also I grabbed a vintage bugle boy 12au7 tube for the ps ii amp which Is one of the best tubes I read
All in all, it's somewhere to start!
smily_headphones1.gif
plus I have similar taste in music to you.

Nice, I'll look into that amp. By the way, those headphones you have are all the ones I've been contemplating over and over and just can't pull the trigger. Which one do you recommend for the music I listed since you said you have similar taste in music as I? I've heard the RS1i's are the best for that type of music, but what I'm most skeptical about is comfort as I tend to listen to music for quite some time if I'm at my computer. Do you have any comfort issues with any of those?

Edit: Not sure if I want to look into a kit in which I have to assemble myself. I'm sure it isn't too difficult, but at the same time I don't want to be tossing out that cash and screw something up on my own. It seems this kit is only sold through Ebay?

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #4 of 8
The Nuforce Icon HDP paired with the HD650 is something to consider.

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #5 of 8
That definitely does look quite good from reading reviews. Guess I'll have to read up somewhat on some headphone terminology in order to fully understand some critiques, but other than that it seems damn nice. Haven't read much about how it is when paired with some Grado's, mainly just the HD650s which is favorable. Guess I found the amp for the 650s, any recommendation for the RS1i?

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 8
Remember vita you are picking a solid state over a tube amp. The project sunrise you can buy via kit in the website or assembled on eBay. For our knd of music might want to try the grados plus the psii amp with a new tube. That's the best thing about tubes amps dude -- if the sound isn't exactly to your liking you can get a new different tube and change it totally! It's endless combinations almost.

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #7 of 8
Yeah, I know. I read that tube amps are a lot better for being able to play around the with sound signature that you get out of the amp. But, I think since this is my first dive into this world, I would try going solid state for my first go. Since it seems to pair nicely with the HD650s, I figured I'd give NuForce Icon HDP a go. However, this isn't the end of hi-fi experience. I figure down the road I'll delve into tube amps as I've heard they pair better with the Grado series. Plus, I just don't think I know that much about tube amps at the moment to invest in one.

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #8 of 8
. But, I think since this is my first dive into this world, I would try going solid state for my first go. Since it seems to pair nicely with the HD650s, I figured I'd give NuForce Icon HDP a go. However, this isn't the end of hi-fi experience. I figure down the road I'll delve into tube amps as I've heard they pair better with the Grado series. Plus, I just don't think I know that much about tube amps at the moment to invest in one.

True. I started with the HRT head streamer myself. Once u go tube though ill never look back. U know what they say -- Only a boob doesn't go tube!

Eh no one really says that I just thought the post needed a strong ending.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back