Amp Recommendations for ATH-W5000
Jun 1, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin_J /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could someone point the way to a thread about this topic? I'm sure it's been covered somewhere, but I can't find! Thanks!

AT-HA5000 from Audio Technica is built just for this headphone.

The maxed out M^3 that I heard last year at a meet comparing it to the HA5000 before it had to many hours on it was very close. Anything in between would be good for solid state.

Some have used the Original Master for their W5000s, a 200$ solid state amp.

The Yamamoto HA-02 is a good one for a tube amp.

MapleTree Tube amp with the right tubes.

Woo Audio headphone amp.

Many others.

microZOTL another tube amp.

Any RudiStor amp.

Jun 1, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 17
yeah...what slwiser said
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AT-HA5000 from Audio Technica is built just for this headphone.

The maxed out M^3 that I heard last year at a meet comparing it to the HA5000 before it had to many hours on it was very close. Anything in between would be good for solid state.

Some have used the Original Master for their W5000s, a 200$ solid state amp.

The Yamamoto HA-02 is a good one for a tube amp.

MapleTree Tube amp with the right tubes.

Woo Audio headphone amp.

Many others.

microZOTL another tube amp.

Any RudiStor amp.

Jun 1, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #5 of 17
Neutral tube amplifiers do very well from my experience. Someone suggested Darkvoice 332 is very good with it (it has a beefy low end which helps w5000 out).

The list of what amps people use with w5000 a little bit subjective, frankly FEEL HP200SE which I used with it there is a good amp and it shows, but it is not a good combination with w5000 (too bright and lean on the low end).

Jun 1, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #7 of 17
Hummm I wouldn't say my RP010 is especially amazing with my w5000s or L3000s and I know that Mulveling doesn't like the L3000 sound out of his rp7bs that much... so I am not positive that rudistor amps work well with AT woodies. Sennheisers/Qualias/Ultrasones on the other hand... vastlyyy different stories.

Jun 1, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #8 of 17
To answer Austin's question directly, I believe he's looking for this thread:
Elephas' W5000 Owners' Amp Registry

The M^3 that slwiser referred to is in my possession now. I bought it from SK138 based on what he and slwiser had said as I had been looking for an amp to go with my Raffinato. During the recent Seattle Head-Fi meet, several people commented on how good the W5000 sounded with the M^3. One knowledgeable member even said that hearing the M^3 > W5000 combo alone made it worthwhile for him to attend the meet.

Jun 1, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #9 of 17
Yeah...what socrates63 said
wink.gif
2x
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The M^3 that slwiser referred to is in my possession now. I bought it from SK138 based on what he and slwiser had said as I had been looking for an amp to go with my Raffinato. During the recent Seattle Head-Fi meet, several people commented on how good the W5000 sounded with the M^3. One knowledgeable member even said that hearing the M^3 > W5000 combo alone made it worthwhile for him to attend the meet.

Jun 2, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #11 of 17
PS - I have the W1000 now with the Eastern Electric MiniMax with Amperex tubes... really great (NOS tubes are key, thought the JJs are supposed to be good)... but I wonder how much better it could get...

Jun 3, 2007 at 7:23 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin_J /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could someone point the way to a thread about this topic? I'm sure it's been covered somewhere, but I can't find! Thanks!

Austin, ck out this thread too:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=241723

Jun 3, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

yes, x3
wink.gif

I'd also strongly recommend the Fitz mods, especially the F5005 mods.

Jun 3, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Supposedly the Woo Audio 6 is bliss for the W5000, and in a few days time I can give you my personal opinion.
smily_headphones1.gif

I can confirm this - the W5000 shines with the WA6.

F. Lo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back