Amp Recommendation for Shure SRH-1440
Sep 3, 2013 at 10:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Shockah

New Head-Fier
Title pretty much says it all, but to be more specific, Shure 1440 owners, what amplifier do you use and what would you recommend? My budget is around $350 (USD), I normally listen to a lot of classical, as well as 70s/80s rock. Looking for an amp that can cure its slight sibilance and boost the low end slightly for rock songs (basically a warm amp). I am currently looking at the Little Dot mkiv amp or the Darkvoice 336c, and if anyone has any experience with them please do give your opinions on their synergy, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! 

Sep 3, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
Title pretty much says it all, but to be more specific, Shure 1440 owners, what amplifier do you use and what would you recommend? My budget is around $350 (USD), I normally listen to a lot of classical, as well as 70s/80s rock. Looking for an amp that can cure its slight sibilance and boost the low end slightly for rock songs (basically a warm amp). I am currently looking at the Little Dot mkiv amp or the Darkvoice 336c, and if anyone has any experience with them please do give your opinions on their synergy, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! 

Heya,

The SRH1440 is low impedance, and sensitive. Not an ideal match with OTL amps like you've selected. I'm thinking M-stage for you, based on what you've described, or even the Lyr.

The reality is though, this headphone needs little, repeat, little, amplification, and even then it's mostly just to have a consistent quality source signal, not for actual driving of the headphone because it's very efficient. A humble Fiio E10 would do what you're looking for actually. But again, see the M-stage and Lyr for more what you've described that will work with an efficient headphone like this.

Very best,

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #4 of 8
Heya,

The HE400 is also an efficient (sensitive) and low impedance headphone. It too is not a good match for an OTL tube amp (these amps are generally high voltage and low current output, made for high impedance matching; they function with lower impedance headphones, but matching them that way is putting them at their lowest performance, as they are meant to perform at a peak level, which is always higher impedance (usually between 200+ and 600 ohms). The HE400 doesn't need hardly any voltage, it's low impedance, but it greatly benefits from high current, which an OTL at that impedance does not provide at all. Again, the same amps come to mind. The M-Stage, Lyr, etc. In general, any solid state amplifier, or hybrid tube (Lyr is hybrid), but not most OTL tubes.

Very best,

Apr 13, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #8 of 8

The SRH1440 is low impedance, and sensitive. Not an ideal match with OTL amps like you've selected. I'm thinking M-stage for you, based on what you've described, or even the Lyr.

The reality is though, this headphone needs little, repeat, little, amplification, and even then it's mostly just to have a consistent quality source signal, not for actual driving of the headphone because it's very efficient. 

Actually sensitivity isn't a bad thing - that means the lower output of an OTL amplifier at low impedance won't be a problem, since you won't squeeze more than the (relatively) clean power it can spit out.

The impedance of course can be the problem. Without all the relevant data you'd basically be guessing as to whether it will sound like molasses or a tin can on an OTL amp prior to testing it out. Either way, distortion is something that is better avoided or at least kept to a minimum, though of course some people might prefer systems that sound like impending sticky death.

Quote:
  Hmm, thanks for the quick reply! What if I threw in the HE-400 into consideration?

It's also a low impedance headphone but while planars are less affected by damping factor loss due to impedance, the lower power output of OTL amps at low impedance loads on top of the HE-400(i)'s relatively low sensitivity.

Note that when people say it has high sensitivity, they mean compared to older planars, repeat that missing the critical comparison, or they're confusing it with the HE-400S, which has considerably higher sensitivity. Or they have it or have listened to it and because of the very flat response from 1000hz to 10hz that allows them to hear all the bass frequencies at the same potential level (ie, the recording still ultimately determines that) as 1000hz with no drop off nor auditory masking through an upper bass hump, they never felt the need to crank it up.

Quote:

What amps would be recommended, preferably under $350?

Schiit Asgard, Meier Rock, Vali2, Objective2, in that order of preference.

Save a bit more and get the Meier Jazz or the Jazz FF, that way you have something with a lot of power short of driving the lowest efficiency planars (or older, lower sensitivity 600ohm headphones) while having a very low noisefloor. It's basically a lot like the O2, but where the O2's distortion pattern when pushed tends to sound slightly brighter, the Meiers err on slightly warmer. The Jazz is basically a great, lower output alternative to a Violectric, and happens to have Crossfeed too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back