Amp Recommendation For PS 1000
Feb 27, 2012 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

zimzim2001

Head-Fier
Hi, I've recently acquired a pair of PS 1000 (love them).  I'm wondering if perhaps I should upgrade my amplification.  My current setup is Oppo BDP-95>RA-1>PS 1000.  I think RA-1 sounds really good but I'm wondering if the full potential of PS 1000 is being realized.  I have a feeling that the bass could be better.  I considered Melos but I'm concerned that they are somewhat prone to problems.  I am open to tubes and I've read that a hybrid might be best.  I'm also considering EAR HP4, any of the Woo (maybe WA22) and also Mapletree.  I'm just trying to get very high quality sound and I'm not on a budget.  Is it worth it for me to upgrade the amp?  TYIA

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #2 of 3
I would definitely consider a Mapletree amp, or DNA Sonett.

I tested and tried numerous type of amps for my Grado HF-2s...solid state, hybrid and tube. Tubes and Grados really sing. But you need something that really emphasizes their snap and attack. I do NOT recommend Woo: I was disappointed with the WA6; it was boring and ill matched for the HF-2s, I found. Loved my Millet Hybrid, but found the bass to be a bit bloated. Loved the EC/SS from Eddie Current, but unless you find the right dac, the highs could be a tad harsh; Gilmore lite was excellent, but again, highs could be a tad harsh.

I'm telling ya: tubes all the way. I was testing a friends Mapletree Audio amp that was at least 4, 5 years old and it was outstanding. But the DNA Sonett sold me completely :)

Since you aren't on a budget, either one of those two would suit you nicely, I think.

I also just listened to the PS-1000s the other day at Canuck57's house with a WhipMod iPod, and iBasso balanced amp: really enjoyed them! Nice soundstage, very nice highs!

Feb 27, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #3 of 3
I've been very pleased with the Woo 6SE powering my PS-1000's.  Haven't tried a huge variety of amps, but this combo is a big improvement over the Grado RA1 (ok, not much of a statement...) and the Music Hall 25.2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back