Amp Recommendation for HD600
Aug 2, 2006 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Valaire

New Head-Fier
I would like some recommendations as to what works well with these headphones. I've been told to watch out for underpowered amplifiers with the HD650 and not sure if it also includes the hd600. I don't know the ohm value or whatever.

Right now my initial recommendation was for the LDM+. That is around 70 shipped I believe. Just wanted to get a few more recommendations.

Here are my specs:

Headphone: HD-600
Source: X-Fi XtremeMusic
Music Taste: Pop/Rock/Instrumental/Positional Audio (Games)
Sound Taste: Bass is not important to me, prefer the rest of the sound more, especially vocals.

Amplifiers:

- Portable? Unnecessary, will not use. (All I've seen is cheap portables, not cheap desktops -- I just want best value/$)
- Budget? ~$150
- Solid State/Tube? Honestly, I read up on it and I have no idea, I initially decided on Solid State.

Thanks.

Aug 2, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #2 of 19
Nothing I've heard matches better than the X-cans v.3 - check out Pinkfloyd as he's spearheaded this match up and provides mods to the X-cans as well.

Aug 2, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Valaire
- Budget? ~$150

The X-Can is out of this price range they go for at least 2X that much. I've heard good things about matching with the Little Dot II or II+, but haven't heard either so take that with a grain of salt. Use the search bar to get a better idea of the match than I could give you.

Aug 2, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
Nothing I've heard matches better than the X-cans v.3 - check out Pinkfloyd as he's spearheaded this match up and provides mods to the X-cans as well.

A statment like that is pretty hard to judge if you don't at least give a few examples of what else you've heard. Not to mention the budget issue raised already.

In the sub $150 category choices are very slim, personally I'd look for a used DIY Pimeta.

Aug 2, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #6 of 19
Okay I looked up the X-cans and yes they are outside my range.

Basically what I'm asking is that the LDM+ is like 70 shipped. I'm willing to pay up to $150.

Is there something good for the HD600 in the $70-$150 range that is a good value upgrade from the LDM+?

Also, is the LDM+ powerful enough to drive the HD600?

Thanks.

Aug 2, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #7 of 19
My LDM+ works adequately with my HD600, though I wouldn't call it the best. The SuperMini-3 works better with it. Look into an amp with the AD8397 as one option, it clears up some of the Senn "darkness." Or you could try a Practical Devices XM3, the Firestone Cute Beyond, or a Portaphile X3, none of which I have experience with but all are a step up from the LDM+ in the price range you want.

Aug 2, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
A statment like that is pretty hard to judge if you don't at least give a few examples of what else you've heard. Not to mention the budget issue raised already.

In the sub $150 category choices are very slim, personally I'd look for a used DIY Pimeta.

I second pimeta with AD8620 great match with HD600

Aug 2, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #9 of 19
I have found the Perreaux SXH1 v0.5 to be a good match for the HD600. It has a strong mid-range that helps to compensate for the (in)famous Sennheiser "veil". I've seen the Perreaux go for as little as $170 on the used market -- it's a discontinued model -- so it might be worth putting a WTB: (wanted to buy) advertisement on the Amplification For Sale forum and see if anything turns up.

Aug 2, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #10 of 19
Here's reportedly a great amp, that will likely give you what you're after, in your price range:

http://www.pacificvalve.us/XS708B.html

See review by "drarthurwells"

Also - you might want to consider the Dark Voice 336i

See various posts on this amp.

I think I'd try one of these.

The new LD II+ looks interesting, but it reportedly has Mullard tubes, which temper the highs. The HD6XX's need a bright amp - they're already a bit dark. If you were to get the LD II+ (which appears to have great components) - you'd likely have to swap the Mullards for a brighter tube with the HD6XX's - like the JAN Phillips 6922's, which may brighten the amp up a bit, and give it a more dynamic and powerful sound.

But... in that price range you don't have a lot of options... but, Chinese amps.

Just some thoughts....

GF2

Aug 2, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #11 of 19
An LD2 works fine with the HD600's, and is in your price range. The new + model I hear is much more reliable than the earlier version (although I owned one of the first of the original LD2's, and never had a problem with it). I concur with the Pimeta suggestion also, having owned that setup with the 600's also. I can't comment on the Micro.

Aug 2, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #12 of 19
Thank you for all your suggestions, they were very helpful. It has been difficult being an outsider not familiar with any of these amps to get a view of what my options are.

I think I've narrowed it down to two:

1. LDM+ $70 shipped
2. XM3 $142 shipped

Thoughts on if XM3 is worth 2x as much as LDM+ for HD600?
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
My LDM+ works adequately with my HD600, though I wouldn't call it the best. The SuperMini-3 works better with it. Look into an amp with the AD8397 as one option, it clears up some of the Senn "darkness."

I just got a PINT amp built on AD8397, and I would say this amp would have been a great match for the HD600 I used to have. You might want to see about having one built as this would fall within your budget.

Aug 2, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #14 of 19
The xin supermini is a fantastic little amp, and given your price range was going to be my first recommendation. It has a gain selector, so it'll match your hd600 very well, as well as rollable opamps to suit your tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back