Amp recommendation for DT 880 250Ohm
Jul 13, 2013 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kcorj2244

New Head-Fier
So I need some recommendations for a DT 880 Pro 250ohm. I'm thinking about getting the Magni and a Xonar DGX to drive the headphones I'm getting. Would this work? What would be the most cost effective solution to drive my headphones?

Jul 13, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 10
Sound Blaster Z sound card, $80

I would think the Schiit Magni is a better quality head amp. then the Z's head amp.
The PAV2V (Personal Amp. 2 Version 2) sells for around $64 on eBay.
You can get the Xonar DG (PCI) sound card for $29.99, and there is a $10 mail in rebate.
Xonar DGX is $40, and there is a $10 mail in rebate.

The Xonar DX & D1 sound cards come with the same DAC chip (CS4398) as the Sound blaster Z (& Zx).
Sometimes a used DX or D1 is fairly low priced on eBay.
But your looking at $160 for the DX/D1 and Magni combo.
About $125 for a DX/D1 and PAV2V combo.

Jul 13, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #3 of 10
Sound Blaster Z sound card, $80

I would think the Schiit Magni is a better quality head amp. then the Z's head amp.
The PAV2V (Personal Amp. 2 Version 2) sells for around $64 on eBay.
You can get the Xonar DG (PCI) sound card for $29.99, and there is a $10 mail in rebate.
Xonar DGX is $40, and there is a $10 mail in rebate.

The Xonar DX & D1 sound cards come with the same DAC chip (CS4398) as the Sound blaster Z (& Zx).
Sometimes a used DX or D1 is fairly low priced on eBay.
But your looking at $160 for the DX/D1 and Magni combo.
About $125 for a DX/D1 and PAV2V combo.

Would I actually notice a difference between the Sound Blaster Z and the magni combo though? Or would only people like you who are experienced notice the difference.

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
Would I actually notice a difference between the Sound Blaster Z and the Magni combo though? Or would only people like you who are experienced notice the difference.

I'm not sure I would notice a difference.
With the Magni, you get a volume knob at your finger tips, which I found is nice to have.
You can also use the Magni with just about any portable audio player.
Is this setup for music? movies? gaming?

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #6 of 10
I'm not sure I would notice a difference.
With the Magni, you get a volume knob at your finger tips, which I found is nice to have.
You can also use the Magni with just about any portable audio player.
Is this setup for music? movies? gaming?

Music and gaming primarily. Not so much gaming though because I mainly play WoW with no sound, usually with music in the background, or a livestream on another monitor.

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
Also my friend is a manager at Bestbuy and he can get me a discount, so that's why I'm interested in the Sound Blaster Z since I can get it for $20.

Only $20 for a Sound Blaster Z?
Go for it.

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
Alright thanks man for all the help. I will probably do the DT 880 Pro 250-Ohm with the Sound Blaster Z. Should I get the newest Sound Blaster Z (the red one) or the older one (non red)? And in the future I will probably grab a Fiio E11 for portable use.

I believe there is no difference between the one with the red cover and the one without.
Except for the red cover itself, but I not really looked into it to confirm that is the only difference.

There is the Sound Blaster Zx, which comes with an mic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back