Amp recommendation for 650's?
Oct 17, 2020 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Nklaiste

New Head-Fier
What's the best overall amp for the Sennheiser 650's for around $600 or less? Would a budget amp like the Liquid Spark or Magni be a good choice or is it recommended to get a more expensive amp?

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 39
Well there already an unlimited amount of threads about HD650/HD6xx amp recommendations.
I am just going to parrot whats mostly been said previously, many people seem to like to pair it with a tube amp, something like a Bottlehead crack + speedball seems to be many peoples end game.
Else, if you want solid state, just stick with the usual o2+odac or magni/modi I guess.
Honestly, I think the HD6xx sounds good connected to just about anything.

Oct 19, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #5 of 39
My HD650 sound great with my Bottlehead Crack and Chord Mojo.

Oct 19, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #6 of 39
What's the best overall amp for the Sennheiser 650's for around $600 or less? Would a budget amp like the Liquid Spark or Magni be a good choice or is it recommended to get a more expensive amp?
If you can use balanced XLR-terminated cables, the Liquid Platinum is a great choice. The amp is designed to run balanced, the tubes (6922) impart midrange and ambiance magic with satisfying bass and higher treble. The LP has been available from Monolith (Monoprice) for $ 485....in my opinion a capital letter BARGAIN...

Oct 20, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #7 of 39
I have the Drop HD6xx. I use it in two different systems.
My main system utilizes a Schiit Asgard 2. My office system uses a Schiit Magni Heresy. Both do a good job driving the headphones. I like the Asgard 2 better than the Magni.

By all accounts the Asgard 3 is better again. Also many seem to like the Darkvoice 336se OTL tube amp. I'll likely try either the A3 or Darkvoice next year.

Many say Bottlehead Crack is excellent with these headphones, but its DIY. Lastly I'd love to try a Decware CSP3 , but that is over $1300.

Good luck. Personally if I were starting over I'd go Asgard 3 or Darkvoice.

Oct 20, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #8 of 39
I have used with my HD6XX a Soloist SL MKII, a Magni 3, a ifi Zen Can, a Topping L30, Topping A90 (too flat sound in my opinion, although I loved the timbre), Valhalla 2, Moon 230 HAD...
The best pairings in your price range were the Soloist SL MKII and the Valhalla 2.
My favourite was the Soloist. Awesome, rich, clear, wide sound with great depth and realism.

Oct 20, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #9 of 39
If you can use balanced XLR-terminated cables, the Liquid Platinum is a great choice. The amp is designed to run balanced, the tubes (6922) impart midrange and ambiance magic with satisfying bass and higher treble. The LP has been available from Monolith (Monoprice) for $ 485....in my opinion a capital letter BARGAIN...

I thought that Cavalli audio has been out of business since 10/31/17. Should probably make the poster aware of this important fact before they invest in an amp that has no future product roadmap. It could be for this reason that the product is deeply discounted.

https://www.hear.reviews/2017/10/17/alex-cavalli-announces-closure-cavalli-audio/

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #10 of 39
I have the Drop HD6xx. I use it in two different systems.
My main system utilizes a Schiit Asgard 2. My office system uses a Schiit Magni Heresy. Both do a good job driving the headphones. I like the Asgard 2 better than the Magni.

By all accounts the Asgard 3 is better again. Also many seem to like the Darkvoice 336se OTL tube amp. I'll likely try either the A3 or Darkvoice next year.

Many say Bottlehead Crack is excellent with these headphones, but its DIY. Lastly I'd love to try a Decware CSP3 , but that is over $1300.

Good luck. Personally if I were starting over I'd go Asgard 3 or Darkvoice.
You can purchase a BHC professionally built. It will cost several hundred dollars more than the stock kit though. When comparing amps, you should include those costs in apples to apples value comparisons to other amps.

Oct 20, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #11 of 39
I have the HD 650 and use it directly out of my '14 MacBook Air and it sounds as good as it will out of pretty much any solid state amp that doesn't add coloration. The HD 650 does not require tons of power or an exotic amp design to sound great or to get loud enough.

Oct 20, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #12 of 39
I have the HD 650 and use it directly out of my '14 MacBook Air and it sounds as good as it will out of pretty much any solid state amp that doesn't add coloration. The HD 650 does not require tons of power or an exotic amp design to sound great or to get loud enough.
Are you suggesting that amps/dacs don't improve the sound quality of music from the internal DAC in your macbook air?

Oct 20, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #13 of 39
Are you suggesting that amps/dacs don't improve the sound quality of music from the internal DAC in your macbook air?
Pretty much!

...or at least that the DAC and amp in Macs are quite good.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #14 of 39
There was a discussion in the HD 650/6XX thread a little while ago about somebody (multiple somebodies?) attending a meet where in a blind test people could not tell any difference between an iPad and a much more powerful, much more expensive amp.

Tubes are another story, if you're looking for coloration.

Oct 20, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #15 of 39
Had OTL with tubes...got tired of tube rolling/matching/etc.

Picked up Asgard 3...sounds great and no hassles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back