Amp recommendation for 32ohm headphones
Aug 3, 2015 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

HeavyTP

New Head-Fier
Hi guys.

I've been lurking these forums for some time and thought it was time to join. 

I'd really appreciate it if you guys could point me towards some solid amps (and possibly DACs aswell) that fits my situation.

* The headphones I currently own are all 24-32ohm (Philips Fidelio X2, Sony MDR-1A, Creative Aurvana Live, Aurvana Live 2), so the amp should do good with low ohm headphones. No real tube amps I guess.

* I like bass. I'm not necessarily looking for something absolutely neutral, I wouldn't mind something with a nice bump in the bass, not at all actually. Or even a well implemented bass boost-feature would be ideal.

* I will mainly be listening through a desktop computer, so a amp/dac-combo would be best, but amps are just as interesting.

* I'm somewhat flexible about the price, but nothing too pricey.

Right now I'm listening through the integrated soundboard on my computer so everything will be an upgrade, not just sure what to go for.

- The O2 and smaller Schiit-amps really seem like great products, the Schiit-products looks great too. I am however afraid that I won't fall in love with the sound signature, and will miss some bass. I guess I could just play with an EQ on my computer but I'd rather not.

- I've always been glancing about at Fiio E10K. It has pretty much got it all; amp/dac-combo, bass boost-feature and cheap. In this case I am however afraid that it's not "good enough", that I should buy something a little more capable. This might be wrong though.

Aug 3, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 28
Do you feel like you are missing something in the way your headphones sound now? In my experience, headphones that are easiest to drive often benefit the least with dedicated amplification.

Aug 3, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #3 of 28
Pick Fiio E10K for those headphones, can't go wrong.
It's a very nice device.

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 28
  Pick Fiio E10K for those headphones, can't go wrong.
It's a very nice device.

Yeah, I wouldn't go for anything much more powerful unless you have intentions to upgrade to higher impedance headphones

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #5 of 28
O2 all the way. Check out the massdrop one right not for 69 something dollars or so.

You really should be looking for a transparent Amp. If you want a bass hump you can add that with an EQ setting or the right headphones. While getting an Amp with a bass hump built in is well just limiting yourself for the future.

Also you might want to consider an Amp DAC combo. I have been doing a lot of comparison between my uha-6s mk2 vs my LG G3 on the HE-400s. And well the G3 can drive the HE-400s just as well by itself as the 6s can. It sounds the same with the amp in the flow or out when the source is the phone. But the best sound came from using the build in DAC on the 6s.

That said the difference is subjective between the LG output and the 6s DAC.

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #6 of 28
  I've been lurking these forums for some time and thought it was time to join. 
I'd really appreciate it if you guys could point me towards some solid amps (and possibly DACs aswell) that fits my situation.
* The headphones I currently own are all 24-32ohm (Philips Fidelio X2, Sony MDR-1A, Creative Aurvana Live, Aurvana Live 2), so the amp should do good with low ohm headphones. No real tube amps I guess.
* I like bass. I'm not necessarily looking for something absolutely neutral, I wouldn't mind something with a nice bump in the bass, not at all actually. Or even a well implemented bass boost-feature would be ideal.
* I will mainly be listening through a desktop computer, so a amp/dac-combo would be best, but amps are just as interesting.
* I'm somewhat flexible about the price, but nothing too pricey.
Right now I'm listening through the integrated soundboard on my computer so everything will be an upgrade, not just sure what to go for.
- The O2 and smaller Schiit-amps really seem like great products, the Schiit-products looks great too. I am however afraid that I won't fall in love with the sound signature, and will miss some bass. I guess I could just play with an EQ on my computer but I'd rather not.
- I've always been glancing about at Fiio E10K. It has pretty much got it all; amp/dac-combo, bass boost-feature and cheap. In this case I am however afraid that it's not "good enough", that I should buy something a little more capable. This might be wrong though.

FiiO E10K or Schiit Fulla, should be good enough.

Another option, is to get the Asus Xonar DX sound card (used, $50-$60), with it's CS4398 DAC chip :)
Hifimediy has a USB DAC for $57+shipping

A FiiO E11K headphone amplifier ($60), the E11K can be use with more then just a computer.
and can work with the DX or Hifimediy DAC

The O2 (Objective 2) headphone amplifier ($70), is also a good buy (and use it with the Xonar DX or Hifimediy).
https://www1.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-o2-amplifier

Aug 4, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #7 of 28
Thanks for the input guys!

I was actually about to order the O2 on Massdrop a couple of days ago, but I was too put off by the dumb design with inputs on the front.

Not too keen on 3,5mm jack for durability either. Gonna do some thinking and then maybe order one anyway and use it backwards on my desk to hide the cables.

Another question; is there any advantages to external DACs over same chip on soundcards? Like Xonar.

Aug 4, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #8 of 28
I was actually about to order the O2 on Massdrop a couple of days ago, but I was too put off by the dumb design with inputs on the front.
Not too keen on 3,5mm jack for durability either. Gonna do some thinking and then maybe order one anyway and use it backwards on my desk to hide the cables.
Another question; is there any advantages to external DACs over same chip on sound cards? Like Xonar.

Internal sound cards can pick up electrical noise (thru analog) that might be inside the computer case.
Where as with an external DAC, a digital signal is sent outside the case, before it's changed to an analog signal.

Aug 4, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #9 of 28

Internal sound cards can pick up electrical noise (thru analog) that might be inside the computer case.
Where as with an external DAC, a digital signal is sent outside the case, before it's changed to an analog signal.

I see, something along those lines that I thought off. I guess it depends on the situation, how significant is it? Would it be stupid to run an internal card?

Aug 4, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #10 of 28
Ok, SO... I just saw "The Element" on JDSlabs website and my jaw dropped. I WANT ONE!

Not quite sure if I'm prepared to pay like $500 (including import taxes which I will likely have to pay) for an amp though.

But damn it looks sexy, specs seems killer too.

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #11 of 28
Look into the Audio-GD NFB-15: http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm. Or the NFB-11: http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB112014/NFB112014EN.htm Audio-GD typically sets the declared value a good bit lower to help with import taxes.

Aug 5, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #12 of 28
Look into the Audio-GD NFB-15: http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm. Or the NFB-11: http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB112014/NFB112014EN.htm Audio-GD typically sets the declared value a good bit lower to help with import taxes.

Thanks for the tips, but for that amount I'd go for the JDS - Element over China gear.

Aug 5, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #14 of 28
  I see, something along those lines that I thought off. I guess it depends on the situation, how significant is it? Would it be stupid to run an internal card?

I've had fairly good luck using internal add-on sound cards, rarely a noise issue.
Or a noise issue so minor it's not really something I found issues with.

Aug 6, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #15 of 28
That's too bad. Lot of good audio equipment coming out of China these days.

After being interested in hi-fi for 10+ years (just getting into headphones, though) I am well aware of that. Just saying that when I can get the Element for the same kind of money I wouldn't go for the Audio-GD amp.

I've had fairly good luck using internal add-on sound cards, rarely a noise issue.
Or a noise issue so minor it's not really something I found issues with.

Aight, great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back