Amp reccomendations for HD-650 AND Grado RS-1?
Sep 19, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #17 of 34
So you really think the headphone out on the mac would sound just as good as the Woo Audio WA6-SE? And its good for both the high and low impedance phones?
That would save a bunch of $$$.

I can't find any info on the circuitry or specs for the MA6500 integrated amp headphone out jack. Even some of the people at mcintosh couldn't give me answers; so I figured that if they are not big on talking about the headphone out, then it might just be an op amp afterthought (but at $4400 for the integrated, I would think that it would be nice.)
I really don't hear a much of a difference between it and the x-can v3

Sep 19, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by agreenspan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you really think the headphone out on the mac would sound just as good as the Woo Audio WA6-SE? And its good for both the high and low impedance phones?
That would save a bunch of $$$.

I can't find any info on the circuitry or specs for the MA6500 integrated amp headphone out jack. Even some of the people at mcintosh couldn't give me answers; so I figured that if they are not big on talking about the headphone out, then it might just be an op amp afterthought (but at $4400 for the integrated, I would think that it would be nice.)
I really don't hear a much of a difference between it and the x-can v3

I don't know about the Mac MA6500, but my WA6 maxed with pseudo dual power supply upgrade and Sophia Princess rectifier tube/RCA 6DE7 driver tubes is fantastic with HD600, RS-1, HP-1000, Edition 9, etc... Blutarsky and I did blind testing last weekend with my WA6 and his Zana Deux (almost twice the cost), and we could not reliably tell which amp we were listening to without looking!

One would hope a $4400 integrated amp would be great with headphones, but I post the WA6 info just in case.

Sep 20, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

I did get the little pinkie recently and it did not work. My x-can would not power on with it. It was deffective, so I am sending it back.
Jack at WooAudio emailed me and told me to get the WA6-SE.
He said it was better than an upgraded WA6.
Does this amp get very hot? Hotter than the x-can? (because the x-can is not even vented). I ask because I'm planning on putting this thing on an audio shelf under another shelf.

The only thing that gets hot on the WA6 SE are the tubes
smile.gif
Both parts of the amp are cool to the touch even after hours of on time.

Sep 21, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #20 of 34
Thanks to everyone for your help. I talked to Mikhail at Singlepower, and I'm going to get a PPX extreme with larger power supply that he has as a demo. less $ ; -)
I've been hearing good things about singlepower. I'm going to give it a try.

Sep 21, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Thanks to everyone for your help. I talked to Mikhail at Singlepower, and I'm going to get a PPX extreme with larger power supply that he has as a demo. less $ ; -)
I've been hearing good things about singlepower. I'm going to give it a try.

Just remember to read the BIG threads about people not getting their stuff from SinglePower for ages.

Sep 21, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #22 of 34
Don't forget the other amp makers who have outstanding orders too
wink.gif

That said, Congrats on whatever you end up choosing.

Sep 21, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just remember to read the BIG threads about people not getting their stuff from SinglePower for ages.

That was the great thing about ordering the WA6 SE. I was told four weeks lead time and the amp arrived in 4 weeks exactly
smile.gif

Sep 22, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #24 of 34
I have read some of the warnings about singlepower and their customer service issues, but that seems to be in the past (I hope). Anyway, this amp is a demo that is already existing - no need to wait. He's going to send it out on Tuesday by priority mail.
Mikhail seems to be very nice and helpful, and he LOVES to talk and take time to teach you and explain his products. He had more expensive demos, but he really singled me in on two PPX extremes that he has - one with a larger power supply and better caps, and told me I'd be happy with either one with my cans.
I like the fact that I can call on the phone and speak to someone who is knowledgeable and loves what he does. I was only able to email Jack from Woo - he would not give me a phone number.
I've got too many questions for email......

Sep 22, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #25 of 34
Your not the guy from Nantucket are you?

Be prepared to grin a lot. This level of amp really impresses for the first time. Start buying tubes. It is addictive to try different tubes with each hp you own. You would think that you would get the best sounding tubes with an amp but that's not the case. Looking forward to hearing your impressions and delivery time.

Sep 23, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

I have read some of the warnings about singlepower and their customer service issues, but that seems to be in the past (I hope). Anyway, this amp is a demo that is already existing - no need to wait. He's going to send it out on Tuesday by priority mail.

Welcome to the SP subculture... I listen to a combination of phones my PPX3 SLAM including Grado/Alessandro, Senns, Denon, AKG, etc. I got my amp used here on the forum, and have really had no incentive to upgrade since doing so. I just enjoy the music now. I'm not worried about any problems with it. Hundreds of hours on this amp now, and tube rolling can be fun. People other than Mikhail can service these if needed.... Enjoy!

Sep 28, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #27 of 34
WOW!!! You're not kidding! I just got my PPX extreme the other day. I LOVE it!! I'm so happy with it, and Mikhail is very nice and helpful. Now I can hear a BIG difference between the headphone jack on my mac MA6500 and the Extreme (I couldn't hear much of a difference at all with the Musical Fidelity X-can v3 and the MA6500 - which speaks well for both units - the X-can is "class A rated" by stereophile, so at least I know the headphone jack on the mac sounds nice.
But the PPX extreme is on a different level altogether. It really is true, I just enjoy the music now. I don't even care if its distortion doing it, it s fun.

Sep 28, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #28 of 34
By the way, Mikhail was supposed to ship the amp using priority mail on Tuesday, but he's been really crazy busy, so it didn't go out until Wednesday night, which really counts as thursday. When he learned that I would not receive the amp until Monday where I live, he called his friends on the night shift at the postal center and upgraded the shipping to Express overnight at no extra charge. Thats good customer service! I know..... I've read the warning posts about Mikhail and Singlepower.... and he may be a little spacy and forgetful, but his work is really worth it. It really is a work of art, and being an artist myself (check out stephentheartist.com) I too sometimes get spaced out and don't manage the business side of things as well as I could.
Sometimes some things are worth the fuss.

Sep 28, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #29 of 34
By the way, Mikhail was supposed to ship the amp using priority mail on Tuesday, but he's been really crazy busy, so it didn't go out until Wednesday night, which really counts as thursday. When he learned that I would not receive the amp until Monday where I live, he called his friends on the night shift at the postal center and upgraded the shipping to Express overnight at no extra charge. Thats good customer service! I know..... I've read the warning posts about Mikhail and Singlepower.... and he may be a little spacy and forgetful, but his work is really worth it. It really is a work of art, and being an artist myself (check out stephentheartist.com) I too sometimes get spaced out and don't manage the business side of things as well as I could.
Sometimes some things are worth the fuss.

Sep 28, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #30 of 34
Also, just so everyone knows, I'm selling my Musical Fidelity X-can v3. I've only had it for a couple of weeks - I purchased it on AudiogoN from the original owner- who had it for almost a year, but was not using it often - he left it unplugged most of the time. It is in fantastic shape, and I have the original box, wall wart power supply, and instructions
You can check out my AudiogoN feedback (agreenspan)
Or my eBay feedback (fwapaw)
The market price for the v3 (which many prefer to the v8 - which they say has gain issues) is $325 - 350.
I'm selling mine for $300 or best offer. If this is in your budget range, then you can do no better.....unless you spend $1500 for a PPX extreme ; - )
Thanks!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back