Amp really helpful for ER-4P/S?
Jul 28, 2006 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

tracyrick

100+ Head-Fier
I tried a portable amp finally and noticed only a slight improvement in detail, etc... (H120 line out > Flac > Portaphile V2 maxxed > ER-4P/S. But it's something else to carry around and batteries are expensive no matter how you do it.

My thought process now is that maybe amps are really only important for people with high impedance headphones that require more juice than an Mp3 player can provide?

Maybe with low impedance headphones an amp can only make a slight difference and it's not really worth the expense and hassle?

Anyone with more experience disagree with these thoughts?

I haven't really tried out enough amps to be sure of this, just a theory so far. I have no doubt that the amp I tried is a good one.

Jul 28, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 13
for the ER-4S = YES!!

for the ER-4P = not so much IMO.

Jul 29, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
You may have that backwards, the S model is the higher impedence of the two.

I think he's referring to which one benefits with an amp, not which one should be used with the adapter.

Yes, the ER4S is benefits by using an amp (but can be used w/o one in a pinch)
The ER4P alone not as much, but still could't hurt
The ER4P with the P->S adapter is the same as the ER4S.

Jul 29, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #7 of 13
It's my humble opinion that a Xin Supermini or Supermacro is a must for Etys, especially for the ER-4P. Xin implemented the Impedence feature with the Etys in mind, to change a P to an S. And the Bass Boost feature, for me, gets my Supermini III as close to perfect for the Etys than anything I've heard. I have an ER-4P and with my Supermini III amp, it makes all the difference in the world, no matter what the source. I, personally couldn't do without it.

Jul 29, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melletron
It's my humble opinion that a Xin Supermini or Supermacro is a must for Etys, especially for the ER-4P. Xin implemented the Impedence feature with the Etys in mind, to change a P to an S. And the Bass Boost feature, for me, gets my Supermini III as close to perfect for the Etys than anything I've heard. I have an ER-4P and with my Supermini III amp, it makes all the difference in the world, no matter what the source. I, personally couldn't do without it.

With comments like that you're not helping ME any while I wait yet another day for my SuperMini IV.
evil_smiley.gif
etysmile.gif

I'm looking for quite a big improvement with my ER4P with the SuperMini over my PA2v2.

Jul 29, 2006 at 11:11 AM Post #10 of 13
There was a noticable improvement when I got the little dot micro+ for my ER-4P. The most noticeable improvement was the addition of the soundstage. Sound became 3 dimensional. Bass had more impact and punch.
Then I went out to buy the P-S cable, and saw an even bigger improvement. Highs are vastly more detailed. Piano music no longer sounds fatiguing and bright, but instead, it now sounds very natural. Bass sounds a lot more controlled. Without the S adapter, the bass feels very sloppy in comparison.
Now I'm trapped in the world of audiophilia.
etysmile.gif

Jul 29, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
I think he's referring to which one benefits with an amp, not which one should be used with the adapter.

Sorry, I guess I should have elaborated. Thanks jpelg, I was in fact referring to which one would benefit from being connected to an amp.

I'm sure its psychological, but I think my 4S sounds better than my 4P with the adapter?
etysmile.gif

Jul 30, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by markkr
for the ER-4S = YES!!

for the ER-4P = not so much IMO.

My thoughts exactly. I have an ER-4P with SuperMacro3 w/impedance switch turning it into an ER-4S. DEFINITELY worth it. Though, as wonderful as this is ... I'm tired of the in-ear phones and am looking for some full-sized again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back