Amp / Preamp for Rega Apollo
Mar 23, 2007 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Binaural Fusion

500+ Head-Fier
I am trying to decide which amp I should get for my Rega Apollo. I've been sitting on this for a long time and doin' my research. My budget is about
$1000 in your American Dollars. I want something that:

1. Pairs well with many headphone types- I have Senn HD 580 but I want to get good synergy with other brands too
2. Pairs well with my Rega Apollo
3. Excellent pre-amp section
4. Preferably at least 2 inputs

To my knowledge my options are:

GS-1
Sugden Headmaster
Singlepower PPX

Any thoughts? Any help would be appreciated.

Mar 23, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 9
My experience with Singlepowers has been that they're absolutely superb as both headphone amp & speaker preamp. Haven't heard anything to beat them yet, though in full disclosure I've only heard variants of the SDS
biggrin.gif

However, one thing I've noticed with regards to their use as preamps - whether it be the nature of the tubes (I've only been using NOS 6sn7's and 5687's) or the transparency of the amp design - they're very very sensitive to tube microphonics. While this is not an issue for headphone listening (unless you get a bad tube), it could be an issue for a speaker rig played at high volumes. Just keep that in mind
wink.gif

Mar 23, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #4 of 9
I have several nice setups and the one with the best synergy with tre Apollo is the MPX3. It is an amazing setup. I have never heard either piece sound better. The Apollo/MPX3/580 system is now in my office and it is just a terrific combo.

Mar 23, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #5 of 9
How much is a stock MPX3?

Mar 23, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #6 of 9
Naim Headline 2 might be nice. I prefer it to the Lehmann Black Cube Linear.

The Sugden Headmaster and Graham Slee Solo would probably indeed also be good....................

Mar 24, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Binaural Fusion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am trying to decide which amp I should get for my Rega Apollo. I've been sitting on this for a long time and doin' my research. My budget is about
$1000 in your American Dollars. I want something that:

1. Pairs well with many headphone types- I have Senn HD 580 but I want to get good synergy with other brands too
2. Pairs well with my Rega Apollo
3. Excellent pre-amp section
4. Preferably at least 2 inputs

To my knowledge my options are:

GS-1
Sugden Headmaster
Singlepower PPX

Any thoughts? Any help would be appreciated.

I own the Rega Saturn and I'm using the Yarland P100 Chinese tube amp.You can get it at www.tsto.com for $350.I'm using the AKG 701 as my headphones.Good luck

Mar 24, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sugden Headmaster and Graham Slee Solo would probably indeed also be good....................

Yes, the Sugden is very solid as both headamp and preamp. I should have commented on it in my previous post. I never even intended to keep mine - got it as a part of a package with the w2002 - but it's ended up sticking around much longer than the w2002 since it's so versatile. I'm guessing the MPX3 might be a bit sweeter as a headamp - but the preamp interface of the Sugden, w/ remote controlled volume and switched inputs, is very nice to have. Also, microphonics will not be a concern with the Sugden.

Mar 24, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, microphonics will not be a concern with the Sugden.

Thanks for all the input, the MPX3 sounds like an awesome choice- except the microphonics. Has anyone tried tube dampers? Did they do the trick?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
- but the preamp interface of the Sugden, w/ remote controlled volume and switched inputs, is very nice to have.

I agree the extra features would be very nice to have... you can never underestimate the power of a remote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back